PDA

View Full Version : I miss Ubuntu. ):

gymophett
February 11th, 2010, 05:37 AM
I installed Vista x64 SP2 over my entire hard-drive (Hey hey, no hate). Mostly for gaming purposes. I didn't install 7 just because the lack of themes. Why not dual-boot you ask? I don't know. Maybe I should. I just only like having one OS for some reason. I don't like restarting. But my love for Ubuntu is unconditional. I even themed my computer to look like it was gtk. I just miss good ole' Ubuntu.
*Runs to corner and cries*

Kenny_Strawn
February 11th, 2010, 05:42 AM
The times I am forced to use Windows, I miss Linux dearly. The times I am forced to use Linux, I miss Windows dearly. It just seems that they both have their pitfalls, although I love the benefits of FOSS over propware.

herbertportillo
February 11th, 2010, 05:44 AM
Today I had a person ask me to reinstall Windows XP on their computer. Someone had wiped his hard drive and installed Linux Mint because a virus had ruined his computer. He said he missed XP and asked me to reinstall it for him. Running Gparted and wiping Linux off of a hard drive was a sad thing. But hey whatever makes you happy, right?

Islington
February 11th, 2010, 05:45 AM
? install vitualbox and use both in seamless mode.

aviedw
February 11th, 2010, 05:57 AM
I truthfully do not miss windows. They make new software that's even more resource demanding but with the same or less functionality depending on the computer your running the software on. I wish they would figure out a way to make the OS less of a resource hog and yet supply great stability and general usage. Intel is doing it, making smaller chips, that are more powerful but use less power.

Im amazed at linux and other open source projects. If i was to buy a ipad i would try to install Ubuntu on it lol

At first Linux's great appeal was that it was free, me being a poor college student then, but now i love that i can configure and change it every which way. Having complete ownership of a product is liberating.

I only use windows at work because my educational software will not run on Linux.

judyderkeithal
February 11th, 2010, 06:16 AM
The times I am forced to use Windows, I miss Linux dearly. The times I am forced to use Linux, I miss Windows dearly. It just seems that they both have their pitfalls, although I love the benefits of FOSS over propware.

I'm in the same boat unfortunately. I haven't been able to divorce myself completely from Windows.

jrusso2
February 11th, 2010, 06:27 AM
Looks like some ugly Windows to me not Linux.

Frak
February 11th, 2010, 06:30 AM
I'm forced to use Windows every day. I hate it. They shackle my wrist to the desk; it's bad.

gymophett
February 11th, 2010, 06:39 AM
Looks like some ugly Windows to me not Linux.

Again, goes with windows hate.
And it looks almost identical to my gtk theme I had. NOOTO.

Anyways. Vista just randomly got EXTREMELY slow on me. It is using 47% of my ram idling! Windows 7 only used 18%.

SOLUTION: Windows 7, Ubuntu 9.10 dual boot.
xD
I go through so many OS's in a day. ;)

WAIT! Or should I go with XP? XP or 7 for gaming? Hmmm.

the8thstar
February 11th, 2010, 06:59 AM
Long story short: to each their own. There's always a good reason to want a specific setup on your machine.

Personally, I triple boot my laptop (see specs below). Of course I can't do heavy 3D gaming with that rig, but here is how and why I have set my HDD:

1. Windows XP SP3 MCE 2002

This is the default OS that came with the computer. I use it to play 'old' games (<2004). I gave it 20Gb.

2. Windows 7 Professional

This is to run software that I know will be buggy or won't work in Ubuntu: Adobe Photoshop Elements and LightRoom 2 (beta) and Office 2010 (beta). So it's mostly for research and compatibility. It's fine on a 24Gb partition.

3. Ubuntu 9.10 Gnome

This is my main OS which I use for everything else and pretty much 75% of the time. It resides on the rest of the HDD.

gymophett
February 11th, 2010, 07:28 AM
Decided to go with 7 for gaming XP is getting too old, and I have been looking at benchmark test seeing that Se7en runs the hardware better.
Thanks for anyone who actually helped.

ctrlmd
February 11th, 2010, 07:34 AM
lol you chose windows vista over seven just because it has more themes ?
i say dual boot 7.ubuntu

Khakilang
February 11th, 2010, 08:49 AM
If you miss Linux so much. You can go around and get a 2nd. hand computer maybe a Pentium 3 or 4 with 512MB RAM and a 20GB hard disk should be sufficient for Linux. I too use Window XP on my dual core PC and Linux on my Pentium 3 pc. So I never miss a thing.

Gallahhad
February 11th, 2010, 11:54 AM
I'm forced to use Windows every day. I hate it. They shackle my wrist to the desk; it's bad.
Back to work vermin!
Who said you could go bandying about chatting on the internet!
No more GNU for you!

:D

Tibuda
February 11th, 2010, 12:12 PM
What do you miss?

dragos240
February 11th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Well, if you like one HD dedicated to Windows, you can always install Linux on a flash drive, and use a folder in your hard drive as a home folder.

beast2k
February 11th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Again, goes with windows hate.
And it looks almost identical to my gtk theme I had. NOOTO.

Anyways. Vista just randomly got EXTREMELY slow on me. It is using 47% of my ram idling! Windows 7 only used 18%.

SOLUTION: Windows 7, Ubuntu 9.10 dual boot.
xD
I go through so many OS's in a day. ;)

WAIT! Or should I go with XP? XP or 7 for gaming? Hmmm.

You got it, right in this post "Ubuntu 9.10 + 7 dual boot"

pwnst*r
February 11th, 2010, 02:24 PM
I installed Vista x64 SP2 over my entire hard-drive (Hey hey, no hate). Mostly for gaming purposes. I didn't install 7 just because the lack of themes. Why not dual-boot you ask? I don't know. Maybe I should. I just only like having one OS for some reason. I don't like restarting. But my love for Ubuntu is unconditional. I even themed my computer to look like it was gtk. I just miss good ole' Ubuntu.
*Runs to corner and cries*

Didn't install 7 because lack of themes? Uh, wow.

At any rate, Virtuabox + Ubuntu with Windows hosting is where you need to be. Dual booting is old school and not necessary on a system with decent amounts of RAM.

wewantutopia
February 11th, 2010, 02:55 PM
At any rate, Virtuabox + Ubuntu with Windows hosting is where you need to be. Dual booting is old school and not necessary on a system with decent amounts of RAM.

Except virtualbox won't work for all programs, such as games and other graphic intense programs, because of the virtualized video card. I wish they would change that.....

pwnst*r
February 11th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Except virtualbox won't work for all programs, such as games and other graphic intense programs, because of the virtualized video card. I wish they would change that.....

Most good games are windows based anyway.

Johnsie
February 11th, 2010, 03:35 PM
I don't really miss Ubuntu when I am using another OS. Usually the reason I'm using the other OS is to do something that Ubuntu doesn't do very well. When I'm using Ubuntu I actually get a little claustrophic sometimes because I miss being able to do some things and I miss some applications that I like.

ashwinrao
February 11th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Oh! I forgot that I have Windows XP SP2 installed in my HDD....:D

geordie_123
February 11th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Wow that does look like gtk. except for menu, which could sorta look like the linux mint menu.
Yeah but I could never use windows again, I have tried with virtual box and just got irritated.

ElSlunko
February 11th, 2010, 04:55 PM
I used to do the Limbo but don't much anymore. Actually I have no need to boot into windows, only have it run when the Mrs. wants to play games.

audiomick
February 11th, 2010, 05:06 PM
Oh! I forgot that I have Windows XP SP2 installed in my HDD....:D
great! sounds like something I would do. I have an Ubuntu install that I put in to test stuff over a year ago that I haven't booted in over a year....

pwnst*r
February 11th, 2010, 05:27 PM
lol

Woolio1
February 11th, 2010, 05:34 PM
I have an HDD that, for some reason, won't work with Windows... So I use it with my Linux netbook. It works fine there...

I bought a netbook for Ubuntu, because I needed something to tinker with...

I have a desktop with Windows, for gaming. For some reason, I never could get Steam working on Linux.

-Ericson

Giant Speck
February 11th, 2010, 05:48 PM
http://www.glenncounty.com/images/Sacto%20River.jpg

Narendran95
November 16th, 2010, 03:12 AM
Hey, You can actually run MS Office, Photoshop and Microsoft compatible software like that on ubuntu with Wine and PlayOnLinux, both available at the software center! I've installed both of them on my ubuntu 10.10 Maverick.

cariboo
November 16th, 2010, 05:21 AM
The originator of this thread hasn't added anything to it since it was created, let it lie in peace. Closed.