PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to install video drivers?

joek71
February 11th, 2010, 04:38 AM
Hi guys

I am having a problem with video drivers if you look at my pictures you will see distortion can you please help me out.

Thanks

Cheezespread
February 11th, 2010, 04:41 AM
have you completed the installation or is this distortion coming along while you install ?

If its after you have installed it , you could check the hardware drivers within System -> Administration. Whats the GPU in your machine. A bit more info on the machine would be great for any one trying to help you.

joek71
February 11th, 2010, 05:00 AM
Thank you for your help but when the distorted window comes up after i install it and it says updating and checking partion and it just stays there and i cant do anything else, i cant load video drivers or anything i left like that for 1 hour and nothing changes i was looking at my hard drive light and it was not blinking so that means no drive activity.

Mark Phelps
February 11th, 2010, 11:18 PM
This is EXACTLY why the LiveCD option is provided in Ubuntu.

Instead of trying to force an install, boot to the CD and choose the LiveCD mode. That will give you a good feel for how well Ubuntu detects your hardware and installs the proper drivers.

If you can get to a desktop in LiveCD mode, open a terminal and type "lspci | grep VGA". That will list the PCI hardware devices on your machine and will attempt to find the video card/chip.

Post back here with the results of that.