PDA

View Full Version : [other] grub, vista, and raid can they play together?

Aerilus
February 11th, 2010, 04:02 AM
I have a raid one array on an ich9 chipset that i use as my primary partition with vista on it (I know) I would like to intstall grub to this volume and use it as a base to jump off to a themaltake blacx connected to a jmicron controller (asus p5e3 board). i would like to install esxi (and ubuntu on a different harddrive that i could then swap out) to a hardrive on the jmicron controller and use grub to point to it. the idea being to keep all my experimental stuff separate from my workstation both logically and physically. I am pretty sure i can logically do what i am thinking i can do. it seems like the best way to install grub is from a ubuntu live cd but no one is really trying to use the live cd to replace vista's boot loader the instruction i find seem to be using it to restore grub when you installed windows after linux and overwrote your mbr. the instructions also seem to assume you have the grub files already on the boot volume which the case of vista is not true. I have played around with grub4dos and istalled grub from dos which i could do this time around but i wanted to see first of all if my end result was possible or if there is an easier way to achieve it. this really doesnt have a lot to do with ubuntu specifically beyond the bootloader but i felt the users here might be the most likely to have the knowedge to help me out