PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] programs cover the top panel

kevlar93
February 11th, 2010, 03:11 AM
I installed 9.10 last night as an upgrade from 9.04. I went to use it today and everything seemed to have worked fine except for an odd scrolling issue in firefox. It would lag as i scrolled, as if it was refreshing each time.
I thought it might be the drivers so uninstalled the catalyst drivers, nothing, I reinstall them.
I uninstall Compiz, nothing, so i try to reinstall and it says its not on the trusted software list and does not allow me to override this.
I unistall firefox 3.0 (i think we are using 3.5 but i could not find it the software manager).

After all this the scrolling thing is fixed but i have a larger problem. any program that i open covers the top panel with the program icons and the places menu. There is no X button on any program. I have to use ctrl Q or W to get out.

How do i fix this problem. I think it is tied to Compiz or the drivers. but neither works.

I also need to add compiz to the trusted list of software. Along with all this the "hide window/show desktop" button no longer works it says that my window manager does not support this or I am not running a window manager. I think all my problems are linked to compiz.

kevlar93
February 11th, 2010, 03:34 AM
i think i mostly solved it. I found this thread http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=599661

I ran metacity in the terminal and after i could not find any place to set prefrence. i left it and after a couple minutes it asked if i wanted to keep these settings.

I still can not install Compiz. I still need a way to activate it. I have CCSM installed but not compiz.