PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Can't access all my network

asharpham
February 11th, 2010, 01:52 AM
I have a successfuly operating network at home which includes a laptop, a wireless modem/router, a printer and an ATA for voip telephony. All works wonderfully well but I am unable to access the ATA or the laptop by entering their respective IP addresses.

Now obviously I don't need to access the laptop this way (although it is odd that I can't) but I do need to access the ATA in order to change a setting.

I've tried accessing in wireless mode and hooked up by LAN cable but neither works. As I said, everything is operating fine, but I should be able to access all items on the network via their IP addresses. I have no problem accessing the wireless modem/router this way or the printer. But not the other 2 items.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Alan.

Iowan
February 11th, 2010, 02:09 AM
Access how - ping, FTP, SSH, HTTP?

asharpham
March 5th, 2010, 09:15 AM
I've been entering the IP address into the Firefox address bar and I just get the "Unable to Connect" error. This is either in Ubuntu or Windows. I can enter my own computer's IP address as well and it gives me the same error message. However, if I enter the modem/router's IP address or the printer's, I can reach both of those.

In Windows I use the command prompt to ping. To do that in Ubuntu, do i use the Terminal?

Alan.

Iowan
March 5th, 2010, 10:56 PM
In Windows I use the command prompt to ping. To do that in Ubuntu, do i use the Terminal? That's the easiest way for me... System>Administration>Network Tools also has a GUI'd Ping.
It's likely that the modem/router and printer have http-enabled setup pages. Your computer generally doesn't (unless you install Apache or something similar)... I'm not familiar with VOIP, so I'm not sure if the ATA would or not.

asharpham
March 6th, 2010, 12:23 AM
I used to be able to reach all my hardware in Windows but that stopped working a long time ago - long before I started using Ubuntu. So it's not an Ubuntu problem specifically. Even when I hook up directly to my ATA (I currently use wireless) it doesn't work. I guess it's back to the drawing board.

Alan