PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] error updating, right after installation

rlfny1
February 11th, 2010, 01:39 AM
I am brand new to Linux. Successfully installed Ubuntu 8.04 with dual-boot: Linux or Windows XP. After installing, I was prompted to install over 400 updates. After installing about half of them, I got the error message: "failed to check for installed and available updates. This is a major factor of your software management system. Please check for broken packages with synaptic. Reload the software information with 'sudo apt-get update' and 'sudo apt-get install -f' Also, if I try to run update manager, after starting the attempt to download/install the remaining 278 updates, the process stops and I get the message: An error occurred. E:dpkg was interrupted. You must manually run 'dpkg--configure -a' to correct the problem. E:_cache>open() failed, please report. I also get the same error message trying to use Synaptic Package Manager. I tried to run the requested commands, using a window I opened via the alt + F2 key combination, but to no avail. Please help. I wish I knew more about Linux; I am a beginner who knows a good bit about Windows, but not Linux, yet.

northrup
February 11th, 2010, 02:02 AM
Try running the first two in a terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal), then type in the first commands you were prompted to run ("sudo apt-get update" followed by "sudo apt-get install -f"). Copy down the information both commands spit out and post it here.

If that doesn't work, try rebooting and selecting "recovery mode" at the GRUB menu. I don't remember whether or not 8.04 has a recovery menu with an ability to repair the APT repository. But, if not, you can try running those commands again, along with "sudo dpkg --configure -a". It's worth a try.

Otherwise, the only really "easy" solution is to re-install Ubuntu.

pastalavista
February 11th, 2010, 02:08 AM
You need to run 'gnome-terminal' [Applications|Accessories|Terminal] and then enter the command
sudo dpkg --configure -a.
You'll be asked for your password. When you type it won't show but hit 'enter' annyway. Then enter
sudo apt-get updateand try update-manager again.

Sef
February 11th, 2010, 02:30 AM
Successfully installed Ubuntu 8.04 with dual-boot: Linux or Windows XP. After installing, I was prompted to install over 400 updates.

Where you using 8.04.4? You should not have that many updates for it, unless you were using something like 8.04.0.

rlfny1
February 12th, 2010, 03:24 AM
Thank you all for your advice. Success! I was able to enter "recovery mode" in the GRUB menu, and ran the various commands I was advised to run. One of them triggered a lengthy process which, when concluded, resolved ("fixed") my problem.