PDA

View Full Version : external harddrive

yester64
February 11th, 2010, 12:43 AM
Hi,

i am planning to buy an external harddrive which i intend to connect to my xbox.
Is there a particular good drive? From what i have seen, its better to build it rather then to buy a complete one. (better airsupprort etc.)
But what i most interested in is what filesystem i should format it. ext4 does perhaps not work, or? It is btw for movies and music.

Revolutionary101
February 11th, 2010, 12:46 AM
I don't really know what is the best hard drive but when you get it be sure to format it in FAT32. That file system offers the best compatibility between your Xbox and any operating system you have on your PC.

mamamia88
February 11th, 2010, 12:50 AM
i don't know which hd is the best but you can probably buy some money by buying the bare drive on newegg and a cheap enclosure on ebay.

yester64
February 11th, 2010, 01:00 AM
I'll probably getting a western digital drive, since they work for me. Very quite.
Enclosure will be something from newegg too. Doesn't need to be cheap, but good.

Anyway, if FAT32 is good for what i want to do, then it will be it. The drive will be hocked up to the xbox and serves as a media drive. That way i don't need to run the pc all the time.

~sHyLoCk~
February 11th, 2010, 03:33 AM
anything but seagate

ramblinche81
February 11th, 2010, 04:11 AM
I'll probably getting a western digital drive, since they work for me. Very quite.
Enclosure will be something from newegg too. Doesn't need to be cheap, but good.

Anyway, if FAT32 is good for what i want to do, then it will be it. The drive will be hocked up to the xbox and serves as a media drive. That way i don't need to run the pc all the time.

I note another person said avoid seagate. My experience is the opposite. I have four failed WD drives all within a couple years of install and every seagate has survived more than five years so far.

The kicker was when a WD drive failed, was replaced under warranty, then it failed and the original warranty had expired and there was no longer a warranty on the replacement drive. WD did offer me a $20 coupon towards purchase of a new new WD drive.

Look at the warranty offered by each and of course make back ups routinely.

yester64
February 11th, 2010, 05:44 AM
THe only thing i can say is, that my seagate failed me after 3 days. I now have WD and they are running fine so far.
I am not married to any manufacture really, but i want to make sure that my things are safe. :)

I will watch out for the warranty.