PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Gnome / OpenOffice Lock-up

cilynx
February 10th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Thoroughly repeatably, OpenOffice locks up on me when scrolling inside documents. Here's the breakdown:

* Only happens when actively in the process of scrolling
* Doesn't matter if you use keyboard, mouse wheel, drag the scroll bar, or click the scroll arrows
* Always happens within 15 minutes of steady use
* Happens in both writer and calc -- haven't tested the others
* OOo freezes up and no longer repaints the window or responds to anything
* gnome-session peaks out at 100% CPU and stays there
* Currently running application continue to work fine
* Most applications (gnome-terminal, firefox, koffice) can no longer be launched
* Some applications (abiword) can still be launched
* Launching from icons brings up the spinner, but nothing else happens
* Launching a GUI app from a terminal, it looks like it runs on CLI, but nothing ever happens in the GUI proper
* X starts leaking descriptors and thus chewing up drive space at ~1M/s

Killing X and bringing up a new session puts everything back to normal, including CPU usage and drive space. This happens every time on my 64-bit Intel laptop and has persisted through several X/OpenOffice/kernel updates. It never happens on my 32-bit Intel desktop.

I googled around quite a bit, but never came upon anything like a solution. Anyone have any ideas?

TIA

bonusiso
June 17th, 2010, 12:49 PM
It was long time ago but i have the same issue. I haven't tried except word.

But i have also recognised that it happens while i'm scrolling around an image that i have added to the document.

It happens on my 32-bit Intel Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5450 Notebook.
OpenOffice.org version: 3.1.1

Is there any submitted bug about this.

Hagar Delest
June 17th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Try the latest version from Sun/Oracle: [Ubuntu] Installing OOo on Debian and Co. (http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=68)

Make sure that the pic has been embedded inside the file: in the menu Edit>Links (if active), select all the links and disconnect them.

NB: under W2k, I've experienced such freeze when scrolling too quickly, especially if done before OOo has ended the document pagination (when the file is loaded).

bonusiso
June 21st, 2010, 04:52 PM
I have been taking an error while logging in yo gnome about the /home/userXY/.ICEAuthority which could not be updated. I checked the file and its owner was root and it was a binary file.

I simply removed it and starting from that moment my OpenOffice.org works without any crash.

Kind Regards,