PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] GRUB doesn't detect kernel after security upgrades

ignaciogallego
February 10th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Hello,

I have just suscribed into this forum. I have a problem: my notebook (NOTEBOOK SATELLITE L300-SP5917A - INTEL CORE 2 DUO T6400 (2.00 GHZ - 2 MB L2 - 800MHZ FSB) - 15.4 WIDESCREEN TRUBRITE TFT LCD - 400 GB SATA 2 .5 5400 RPM - 3GB PC2-6400 DDR2) doesn't boot ubuntu after the last security upgrade. I have wubi installed.

I have Windows Vista and Ubuntu in the boot menu. I select "Ubuntu" and that leads me to the GRUB shell. I'm new in linux. It seems that GRUB doesn't detect the kernel. Maybe the file menu.lst has been deleted, or something similar, but I can't make my ubuntu to boot.

Thanks a lot in advanced for any clues.
Ignacio.

wojox
February 10th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Wubi is just a try it to see if you like it. I would create a separate partition in install the real deal on it.

ignaciogallego
February 16th, 2010, 01:07 AM
Wubi is just a try it to see if you like it. I would create a separate partition in install the real deal on it.
could you send me a link to a tutorial, site or thread where I can find how to do that? (make a partition keeping my vista and install a new version of ubuntu)?

Thanks in advance.
Ignacio

ignaciogallego
February 16th, 2010, 01:09 AM
could you send me a link to a tutorial, site or thread where I can find how to do that? (make a partition keeping my vista and install a new version of ubuntu)?

Thanks in advance.
Ignacio
I forgot to tell you that I have work that I need to save, before make a linux partition.

ignaciogallego
March 12th, 2010, 10:43 PM
I have successfully installed ubuntu in a new partition. I have done a "shrink" operation into the vista partition. Now I have everything working properly... thank you!

Ignacio

:p