PDA

View Full Version : Why do you promote Ubuntu?

ovroniil
February 10th, 2010, 03:22 PM
I've just read the following article. Where an Ubuntu says why he promotes Ubuntu to others.

These are the reasons why I am promoting Ubuntu! (http://maqtanim.wordpress.com/2010/02/10/these-are-the-reasons-why-i-am-promoting-ubuntu/)

After reading that article I am just curious to know how people in this forum promote Ubuntu? Do you work for promoting Ubuntu? And why do you do so? That means what are the reasons behind of your promoting Ubuntu?

LowSky
February 10th, 2010, 03:25 PM
I don't promote it, I just use it and help people on the forums when I can.

Psumi
February 10th, 2010, 03:36 PM
I usually don't promote it either. I promote (slightly) the use of linux distros as a whole, not just ubuntu.

pricetech
February 10th, 2010, 03:58 PM
I don't actively promote much of anything, but I do like to mention Linux in general and Ubuntu in particular because I like the Open Source philosophy for the most part.

Tibuda
February 10th, 2010, 04:02 PM
I don't promote it. Preaching is bad for Linux.

madnessjack
February 10th, 2010, 04:07 PM
I don't promote it. Preaching is bad for Linux.
Promote != preach

I subtly promote Ubuntu in blogging and through word of mouth. I do it because I believe people can alleviate their guilt by not using illegal software. Or on the other-hand because it's impressive what you can do for free these days.

Tibuda
February 10th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Promote != preach
You are right.

Promoting is fine, as long as you make sure the user is aware that:
- Not every application out there have a Linux version. Engineers need AutoCAD, designers need Adobe.
- Not every peripheral out there supports Linux. Lexmark and Canon printers are a nightmare on Linux, you need iTunes to sync Apple iGadgets, etc.
- Not everybody out there would be able to help him. Non-tech people rely on friends for support. Off course you could help him, but you'll not be always there.

This may scare the user, but if you don't tell him, he may find by himself the hard way, and will be just another unsatisfied user. You can blame software/hardware vendors for not supporting Linux, but you could have warned the user before he buys a Lexmark printer.

I'm pretty sure everybody switching to Macs are aware of similar limitations. Except for Apple iGadgets off course.

coutts99
February 10th, 2010, 04:14 PM
I don't promote it, I only use it because it's what I happened to install on my machines many moons ago.

Next time I format I'll try something different

Flimm
February 10th, 2010, 04:18 PM
I don't promote Ubuntu any more. Partly, because people are switching by themselves anyway. And partly, because I've become a bit disappointed with the compromises Ubuntu's been taking lately (using the name Ubuntu for a proprietary product and planning to promote closed-source commercial software.) I've lost the motivation.

Grenage
February 10th, 2010, 04:21 PM
I occasionally suggest Linux as an alternative when a user has an old machine they only use for surfing, et cetera.

There are many good distros.
Ubuntu is only one of them.
It's down to taste.
Most people don't want or care for something other than Windows.
Linux isn't suitable for most people.