PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Xubuntu vs. Ubuntu vs. Kubuntu

frodriguez96
February 10th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Well i dont know which one to get....
I have a kinda old computer with 128mb of ram and 900mhz processor.....
I want a fast one but with alot of features....
Would kubuntu run on my computer ?
Would ubuntu run on my computer ?
What about xubuntu ?
I want the best one with alot of options....

- Thanx

dE_logics
February 10th, 2010, 02:37 PM
I have a kinda old computer with 128mb of ram and 900mhz processor.....

I have a feeling that even xubuntu has slightly more requirements...any way that's the best and only shot you have.

I want a fast one but with alot of features....

That's impossible with the current state of desktop environments. Xfce is too simple and KDE is too heavy.

Stick to xubuntu.

snowpine
February 10th, 2010, 02:43 PM
You need either A) a hardware upgrade or B) a "lightweight" Linux like Puppy.

256mb of ram is my minimum recommendation for any "flavor" of 'buntu; more is better.

My advice is, keep the old computer running Windows (or whatever is currently on there) and pick up an inexpensive second computer as your "Linux box." Where I live, you can find a used computer through Craigslist for about $50 that will easily run Ubuntu.

cascade9
February 10th, 2010, 02:53 PM
I have a feeling that even xubuntu has slightly more requirements...any way that's the best and only shot you have.

That's impossible with the current state of desktop environments. Xfce is too simple and KDE is too heavy.

Stick to xubuntu.

Minimum requirements for xubuntu is-

Bare Minimum requirements

333 MHz processor
192 MB of system memory (RAM)
At least 1.5 GB of disk space
VGA graphics card

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements

Funny enough, the ubuntu 'bare minimum' is 64MB/300Mhz, but that is for alternate install. The OPs system may run minimal install + Xfce, but its going to be 'bleugh' IMO. Get more RAM and it should be much better.

BTW, Xfce 'too simple'? Fair enough, it might not have some of the options that KDE or Gnome have, but its a great DE.

RTrev
February 10th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Wait a bit for Lubuntu, the LXDE version. It's supposed to be a truly lightweight distro, which Xubuntu isn't. I'm looking forward to it!

nothingspecial
February 10th, 2010, 04:14 PM
You could try crunchbang, but I`d go with a minimal install + openbox or Puppy.