PDA

View Full Version : Three Mics?

kevin11951
February 10th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Anybody know how to hook up three microphones (3.5mm) to a computer (running Ubuntu)?

Hopefully an easy and cheap way to do it.

kevin11951
February 10th, 2010, 11:28 AM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826778011&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Headphones+and+Accessories-_-Griffin+Technology-_-26778011

If I hook two of those into each other, and then into the computer, would that work?

Grenage
February 10th, 2010, 11:30 AM
I suppose it 'might', but you won't be able to distinguish one mic input from another. What are you trying to achieve?

kevin11951
February 10th, 2010, 11:33 AM
I suppose it 'might', but you won't be able to distinguish one mic input from another. What are you trying to achieve?

A very low budget talk show between a few friends of mine.

Grenage
February 10th, 2010, 11:35 AM
If the microphones have cut-off/mute buttons on them and only one is active at a time, it might be ok. Otherwise just get closer together ;)

kevin11951
February 10th, 2010, 11:37 AM
If the microphones have cut-off/mute buttons on them and only one is active at a time, it might be ok. Otherwise just get closer together ;)

What would be wrong with having all three on at a time?

Grenage
February 10th, 2010, 11:53 AM
I'm not sure what the noise would be like with three mics going into one channel. I suppose the only way to know for sure would be to try; it might depend on the mic quality and how much background noise they get.

audiomick
February 10th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Hallo.
Electronically speaking, you can "y-cord" mics together. It lowers the impedance that the input is seeing but it should work ok, and shouldn't damage anything.

The biggest disadvantage is that you have no individual control over the levels, and you can bet that one of your speakers is going to be lots louder/quieter than the others.

As far as mics with switches goes: you want to be sure that the switch doesn't make any noise. Also, in my experience (25 years as a sound engineer) the speaker will always forget the switch or switch it off instead of on more often than he will get it right. I hate mics with switches....

The correct approach would be to get a little mixer and pre-mix your program before it hits the computer. The brand Behringer has such things, possibly available via e-bay. I will have a look...

edit: here
http://cgi.ebay.com/Radio-Shack-SSM-1200-STEREO-SOUND-MIXER_W0QQitemZ280460623241QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0?hash=item414cc17d89
that is probably pretty crappy, but it has Mic inputs and should do the trick.

This
http://cgi.ebay.com/Mackie-micro-1202-series-Mixer-Pro-Audio-Live-Sound_W0QQitemZ290400405237QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_D efaultDomain_0?hash=item439d3686f5
is a good piece of budget gear, and would be perfect.

Another edit:
A major advantage of using something like the little mackie mixer is that it has a proper headphone output, so you can comfortably monitor your mix before it hits the computer.