PDA

View Full Version : My friend's Ubuntu experience

February 10th, 2010, 04:40 AM
Ok. I'm installing Karmic and Windows 7 on my friends laptop as I type this. This is going to be his first time using Ubuntu for longer than 5 minutes to look at a Youtube video on my computer. Let's see how this goes.

He's experienced with the Windows interface and he wants something new and fresh. I suggested Ubuntu. :p

I'll post updates on his comments and complaints. Maybe this can help the Ubuntu devs get an inside glimpse on a GNU/Linux/Ubuntu neophyte. :popcorn:

sxmaxchine
February 10th, 2010, 04:45 AM
i bet that he will complain now but in a week he wil probably be thanking you for giving him ubutnu

simpleblue
February 10th, 2010, 05:25 AM
Remember to give him the 'Linux is not Windows' speech to prepare him. ;)

witeshark17
February 10th, 2010, 05:44 AM
It shouldn't take long for him to stop looking back!

MaxIBoy
February 10th, 2010, 05:53 AM
Force him to read this:
http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

As a matter of fact, you really should have made him read that before you even burned the CD.

chessnerd
February 10th, 2010, 05:58 AM
Remember to give him the 'Linux is not Windows' speech to prepare him. ;)

Force him to read this:
http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

As a matter of fact, you really should have made him read that before you even burned the CD.

Wait... Linux isn't Windows!?!?!

It is important to talk about that, but instead of just saying "Linux can't do this" say "Instead of this, Linux does that" otherwise you make Linux sound kind of useless.

Also talk about things that are cool about Linux. Like explain what the software center is, and how that works. But if your friend likes to try out software, that might be dangerous... :p

HappyFeet
February 10th, 2010, 06:01 AM
Maybe this can help the Ubuntu devs get an inside glimpse on a GNU/Linux/Ubuntu neophyte. :popcorn:

Sorry, this is not a dev hangout. You'll need to take your experiences elsewhere if you want to be heard. Ubuntu/Canonical do not even run this message board.

iponeverything
February 10th, 2010, 06:17 AM
Sorry, this is not a dev hangout. You'll need to take your experiences elsewhere if you want to be heard. Ubuntu/Canonical do not even run this message board.

yes.. I always find the Dear Mark letters quite entertaining.

q8bkman
February 10th, 2010, 08:44 AM
reminds me of the time my brother convinced me to switch to ubuntu. wasn't easy, but now that i've gotten use to it, i can really say thank GOD the pain is over

gymophett
February 10th, 2010, 09:49 AM
reminds me of the time my brother convinced me to switch to ubuntu. wasn't easy, but now that i've gotten use to it, i can really say thank GOD the pain is over

xD
Reminds me of my little 9 year old sister with my old laptop. I had Ubuntu on it and she had all these little games she played, and themes. Then I put XP on it, and she was like WTF is this sh*t?! Lol.

February 12th, 2010, 03:36 AM
Okay. So. First day. Here are his comments.
Quick notes: I got lucky on installation. Everything worked out of the box, Windows 7 and Karmic.

"This boot screen is ugly. Why are there 4 entries for Ubuntu?"
I explained Linux keeps extra kernels when you update and GRUB gives you an option which one you want to boot. I explained GRUB has graphical limitations on what it can display, so it will be pretty ugly for a while.

"Awesome. Installing stuff is really easy."
Yay! He discovered the Ubuntu Software Center!

"Every program updates alongside the system!? That's awesome!"
Yep. He was excited about this. I explained to him Windows has individual programs and Ubuntu is designed to use repos. He was amazed by repositories.

"No viruses? No defragmenting? Ever?"
Ever. Have fun. ;)

"Woahwoahwoah. I can access my Windows files from Ubuntu?"
Yep. But you cant access ext4 Ubuntu files on the Windows partition. +1 Linux, anyone?

"Rhythmbox is organized and automatically updates even when I add new files to my iTunes folder on Windows?"
Yep.

"This window can be locked on top of another?"
Yeah. Comes in handy, right?

Yeah, I figured. ;) But maybe it can help our responses to new Ubuntu users.

So yeah. All in all. The first day was a success! He really enjoys the interface and the update/install system.

I'll post more updates tomorrow! :popcorn:

sudoer541
February 12th, 2010, 04:08 AM
Wait... Linux isn't Windows!?!?!

It is important to talk about that, but instead of just saying "Linux can't do this" say "Instead of this, Linux does that" otherwise you make Linux sound kind of useless.

Also talk about things that are cool about Linux. Like explain what the software center is, and how that works. But if your friend likes to try out software, that might be dangerous... :p

If you cant do this and you cant do that then its useless. lol

ohh and he should not click on any icons because it might corrupt his system.

steveneddy
February 12th, 2010, 05:32 AM
ohh and he should not click on any icons because it might corrupt his system.

WHAT! really? OMG!

February 12th, 2010, 05:36 AM
WHAT! really? OMG!

:lol: