PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New install ubuntu 9.10 not working (slow) HELP

Robis4545
February 10th, 2010, 04:33 AM
Ok, This is most likely all over the place but each situation is diff. From the begining!
I run windows vista, I installed Ubuntu 9.10 from web site, did the file not the disc install. Things were good, load up was fast Grub was fine, picked either vista or ubuntu. Under ubuntu I had -17 generic or 14 generic, I used 17. I always downloaded the updates. By the way I used a NiVIDA graphics card. After the update one day I went to start computer up and go to 17 generic and said that is couldn't mount, like it wasn't even there. Ok, Cool. So I used 14 generic, works fine. Cool. Well good old update manager said need some downloads sir, I said Ok, This one had (I remember specifically) 19 generic. Now when I reboot and go to ubuntu it takes me to Sh:> screen where I need commands. problem with grub, That's only half.

So I got a hold of the install disc for 9.10 and did the install. Now the grub loader takes almost 2 min to load up, then the only ubuntu is 14 generic. Once selected it asks for login on what looks like a command screen but it is glitchy. I mean the color fades in and out and when I press a key it will take some times and sometimes not, I have to time it right. And there is no way to put the password in if I dont know if each key is being entered. I can still get back to vista, ta da. but now I really hate ubuntu. Thanks for anyone who read all of this. Any help would be great, I can find my way around computers if guided right. Word.