PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] nvidia driver x64 ubuntu

5dolla
February 10th, 2010, 04:10 AM
I currently have the 195.30 drivers installed and I would like to ugrade to 195.53 or
higher. I dont want to install them from the nvidia web site I would like to add them to or
from synaptic so I can see them in the administration/Hardware drivers app. Can some
one post the necessary steps or scripts I can paste in the terminal to achieve this my Googleattempts we not a success. Oh yeah im using karmic 64

5dolla
February 10th, 2010, 05:55 AM
anyone?

5dolla
February 15th, 2010, 08:01 AM
ok guys really I cant figure this out.

motsteve
February 19th, 2010, 08:34 PM
Me either. I've tried cntl-alt to stop Xserver. I've tried /etc/init.d/gdm stop. I've tried gdm stop and all I get is "Failed to acquire org.gnome.DisplayManager. Trying even to get a virtual console in Karmic with a cntl-alt-F1-6 gives me nothing but hash. I found one place that had a way of installing the ubuntu nvidia driver package, but the package was experimental and beta and it didn't exist anymore. At one time I launched into recovery and using /etc/init.d/gdm stop worked but gave me an error message which led me to the gdm stop command. I've been chasing my tail off for a week now and nVidia could care less.

BTW, I just tried the EnvyNG install trick and the highest version driver it will install is the 185.xxxx piece of junk that doesn't even do anything with Karmic 32.

There has to be someone out there that knows how to into the NVIDIA------pkg1.run package or whatever to get the drivers updated. Maybe? :confused: