PDA

View Full Version : Cable Guy Came to my New Apartment...

Psumi
February 10th, 2010, 02:39 AM
Yes, I have a new apartment, my own... my love... my preccccioooooussss.....

*cough hack ahem*

Anyway... so the cable guy came today to set me up with phone service and transfer my Cable internet over to my new address. After he finished the phone, he wanted to do an EQA test. However, since I do not have MSIE, he had to skip that from here. I told him I had linux rather than windows of course, before he got weirded out by the linux distro I have.

Oh, and I just assembled a Queen size futon (dual pane wooden) BY MYSELF.

I also had to make my own bed pin holder out of a paper clip.

Joe Ker1086
February 10th, 2010, 02:41 AM
first apartment? and yea, cable guys tend to only use windowz for some reason lol

Psumi
February 10th, 2010, 02:42 AM
first apartment?

Tooooooooootally.

And subsidized because of my income.

dragos240
February 10th, 2010, 02:45 AM
Nice! I really wish I wasn't a minor, I would love to see how it feels to live on my own.

pwnst*r
February 10th, 2010, 02:46 AM
first apartment? and yea, cable guys tend to only use windowz for some reason lol

Gosh, I wonder why?

Joe Ker1086
February 10th, 2010, 02:47 AM
The freedom is nice :) Congrats on your first place!

gletob
February 10th, 2010, 02:47 AM
Pics, or it never happened. The futon that is.

Congrats on moving out, everyone needs a little peace and quiet. Or party without people to get in the way.

Joe Ker1086
February 10th, 2010, 02:48 AM
sarcasm pwn lol did have one cable guy say that "linux wont work with my router and that i should buy vista"....

Hwæt
February 10th, 2010, 02:48 AM
I told him I had linux rather than windows of course, before he got weirded out by the linux distro I have.

So he was familiar with Linux already? That's kinda the connotation I got from that sentence. What Linux distro do you use?

I also had to make my own bed pin holder out of a paper clip.

I think that you should post a picture of that on There I Fixed It (http://www.thereifixedit.com).

Joe Ker1086
February 10th, 2010, 02:49 AM
pics, or it never happened. The futon that is.
+1

dragos240
February 10th, 2010, 02:51 AM
By the way, how DOES it feel to move out and get your own place? I am deeply interested in how it feels.

Psumi
February 10th, 2010, 02:56 AM
By the way, how DOES it feel to move out and get your own place? I am deeply interested in how it feels.

It's... different. Very peaceful in comparison to what I had to deal with previously. My grandmother will be checking up on me from time to time, etc.

As for pics, I'm sorry; I don't have a digital camera anymore, sold my HP camera a half a year back or so.

markbuntu
February 10th, 2010, 10:22 PM
Yeah, the FIOS guy was a little confused that I had three computers and none of them were windows or mac. Lucky for him I had a spare ethernet cable from a switch so he could use his virus laden windows toughbook with a dead battery to set me up.

I switched them all on and the desktops connected automatically and the wirelss netbook once I ran wicd and told it to use the new connection. Click click click all connected up to blazing speed, ran speedtest from all three machines. He was mighty impressed with that. He told me it took a lot longer sometimes to get a windows machine to work with the new software that he had to install and cleaning out all the bots and viruses. I just laughed and said "Virus? none of that on these machines and none of that software either."
After he left I changed all the passwords on the router.

thatguruguy
February 10th, 2010, 10:26 PM
So, let me get this straight. The government is paying for your apartment, but you are able to afford cable and broadband?

nothingspecial
February 10th, 2010, 10:30 PM
My girlfriend (now wife of 10 years +) lived at my mums for a few months.

When, we eventually got a place of our own.

We had a bed, a tv, a stereo (a shed load of cds and records) and a toaster. That`s it.

I`ll never forget eating fish and chips on the floorboards the first night.

Even though we had nothing, having your own place atlast is amazing.

Warpnow
February 10th, 2010, 10:30 PM
So, let me get this straight. The government is paying for your apartment, but you are able to afford cable and broadband?

Pell grants are granted in their entirety if tuition is paid for up front. So, if you qualify for a pell grant and your parents pay your tuition, you get up to ~$4000 deposited into your bank account each year, from one grant. There are, of course, others.

nothingspecial
February 10th, 2010, 10:32 PM

What do you care?

The Toxic Mite
February 10th, 2010, 10:37 PM
Pics, or it never happened. The futon that is.
[snip]

y so srs

Post Monkeh
February 10th, 2010, 10:39 PM

don't you want somebody to love

Kingsley
February 10th, 2010, 10:55 PM
Hmm, I was expecting a totally different type of topic based on the title. :o

t0p
February 10th, 2010, 10:57 PM

What do you care?

It's a rather common phenomenon known as "jealousy".

I know a guy who says it's outrageous that disabled people (here in Britain) can get a mobility allowance. He believes folk with no legs should drag themselves around with their fingertips. Thatguruguy probably has similar ideas. Either that or he's thinking of applying for a subsidy himself.

falconindy
February 10th, 2010, 10:59 PM
What do you care?
Rightfully concerned about where his tax dollars are going, no doubt.

doas777
February 10th, 2010, 11:01 PM
Rightfully concerned about where society's tax dollars are going, no doubt.

fixed that for ya

I paid 45% this year, and I'd be insulted if all that went to agencies that spy on us, or build more bombs, or cut corporate taxes, when we still have people that can't afford food water shelter and space.

nothingspecial
February 10th, 2010, 11:16 PM
Rightfully concerned about where his tax dollars are going, no doubt.

While, (because it is frowned upon here) I don`t want to get into politics, I think (although I don`t really know because I pay tax in pounds) that there are probably greater concerns about where the tax dollar goes.

Just be happy for the kid. Getting your first place is brilliant.

The Real Dave
February 10th, 2010, 11:36 PM

*shakes hand* Well done :)

Woolio1
February 10th, 2010, 11:58 PM
Congrats on the new apartment.

And Linux just works.

That is why we use it, after all, is it not?

pwnst*r
February 11th, 2010, 12:20 AM
And Linux just works.

No it doesn't.

Psumi
February 11th, 2010, 01:12 AM
For the person who said the government is paying for my apartment: In a sense, yes, they are. it is subsidized though, which means I do pay some of it.

I also must pay for my electricity usage.

mamamia88
February 11th, 2010, 01:12 AM
1 question how do you get goverment to pay for apartment?

buddyd16
February 11th, 2010, 02:06 AM
It is typ. called section 8 housing where a particular developer gets permission/money from the government to build relatively nice apartments which they rent out at lower rates to individuals that fit in a specific income bracket and the property owner then receives additional money from the government. Although usually you see 2 to 3 extra people per apartment as even though the rent is lower they are not really meant for a single individual to afford.

EDIT: Just read the op's post on the next page different situation than what I described.

Psumi
February 11th, 2010, 02:07 AM
1 question how do you get goverment to pay for apartment?

You might want to brush up on this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subsidy

The government also pays for part of my income through a program for supplemental security income: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supplemental_Security_Income

If I work and earn more than X number of dollars though, my SSI goes out, and I lose my government-run health provider Medical Assistance, which pays for Medicare.

Woolio1
February 11th, 2010, 05:27 PM
No it doesn't.

You're right. It doesn't. Except for when it does. Depends on the outside variables, I suppose... If you have a PC that's made to support Linux, it'll work wonders. If you have one that's not... It takes a tad more time to get it working...

However, compared to *******... (finish this sentence.)

doas777
February 11th, 2010, 05:31 PM
having worked with most major os's (and a few-less-than-major ones), I will assert now, that there is no os that "just works". there are plenty that "just work enough" though.
I'd say ubuntu is one of those. especially the versions after hardy.

@op: congrats. there is a feeling to getting your first apartment that only lasts a few months, so savor it whilst thou can.

pwnst*r
February 11th, 2010, 06:46 PM
However, compared to *******... (finish this sentence.)

However, compared to Windows, Ubuntu is not a gaming platform.

whiskeylover
February 11th, 2010, 07:54 PM
Congratulations to the OP.

For me the best part about moving to my own place (no roommates) was the freedom to move around the house in my underwear.

doas777
February 11th, 2010, 09:35 PM

For me the best part about moving to my own place (no roommates) was the freedom to move around the house in my underwear.

that and no one stealing your bourbon right?

gletob
February 11th, 2010, 09:49 PM
y so srs

It's a common joke
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pics%20or%20it%20didn%27t%20happen

I know, Right?!?

Don't even get me started on people that steal your booze!

Psumi
February 12th, 2010, 01:21 AM

I don't drink, smoke, do drugs, etc. and never will.

jflaker
February 12th, 2010, 01:24 AM
Nice! I really wish I wasn't a minor, I would love to see how it feels to live on my own.

Enjoy the free ride while it lasts...You have no real worries, no real responsibilities....The novelty wears off REALLY fast....trust me

lisati
February 12th, 2010, 01:29 AM
Enjoy the free ride while it lasts...You have no real worries, no real responsibilities....The novelty wears off REALLY fast....trust me

+1

(And I'm thankful for the New Zealand taxpayers whose contributions over the years have helped keep me in food, clothing, housing, the occaisonal gadget, and health care.)

jflaker
February 12th, 2010, 01:56 AM

And Linux just works.

No it doesn't.

for the majority, it does just work. There are a few times when it doesn't.....The problem being is most posts here do not emphasize the good times, as this forum is for help, you hear more of the "it doesn't work"......If you dig really deep, a good portion of the "it doesn't work" posts are because someone did something to cause it to stop working.

audiomick
February 12th, 2010, 02:40 AM
Hi Psumi.
Enjoy your flat.
I started living away from my parents in 1982 when I went to Uni, but I have never had a flat all to myself. I do wonder what it would be like....

Psumi
February 12th, 2010, 04:12 AM
Hi Psumi.
Enjoy your flat.
I started living away from my parents in 1982 when I went to Uni, but I have never had a flat all to myself. I do wonder what it would be like....

Well, in this subsidized apartment, I have to be careful. Gotta keep it clean, no loud noises, etc.

And every year, I have to fill out a bunch of paperwork (thanks to it being subsidized.)

The government has to keep tabs on how much I make and what not.

pwnst*r
February 12th, 2010, 04:37 AM
As they should.

kenweill
February 12th, 2010, 08:45 AM
and yea, cable guys tend to only use windowz for some reason lol

it's not just the tech guys on field. also the customer service as what i've experienced.

as with my experience, whenever i had problems with my internet connection, i always call the customer service immediately.

They will ask a series of question. First, my name. Second, my Service Reference Number. Third, is the OS I'm using.

On the OS part, their requirements are actually, Windows based OS. If you I say im using Ubuntu, they don't know what Ubuntu is and can't help me with my problem as I need to have windows installed before they can help me troubleshoot my net connections.

Anyway, I can say "im using windows XP" even though, im using Ubuntu. They will just ask for my IP Address and MAC address anyway. So it doesn't actually matter as i know how to get those addresses. They need those addresses to troubleshoot. With those, they are able to trace the problem of my net connection. Whether it's my network card is the trouble, or my wiring to the antenna, or the antenna itself, or their transmitter(cell site tower).

Gallahhad
February 12th, 2010, 09:20 AM

And Linux just works.

Except when it doesn't... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoYL4R3Te2s)
This is a Linux Geek, at a Linux Convention, using equipment that likely had a reasonable expectation to work with Linux...

I will grant that a lot of people have a positive Linux experience, but there is still a lot left to do. Do take a few minutes to watch that video if you have not seen it before. This guy actually gives a damn about Linux, and makes some very valid points about real problems(not to mention the ones he is having just getting his slide show on the projector)

+2 for statue guy intently watching the laptop monitor :popcorn:

Satoru-san
February 12th, 2010, 09:39 AM
Except when it doesn't... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoYL4R3Te2s) :popcorn:

Wow this is quite interesting, everyone should watch it, skip the first 3 minutes though they are trying to get the projector to work.

HappinessNow
February 12th, 2010, 01:22 PM

Ikea?

ubunterooster
February 15th, 2010, 03:16 PM
@OP: congrats on your own apartment,its nice to see not all of my tax money goes to the moon, or for jets, or.....
I pay for my family's internet (and phone via ooma which is free) setup included me bringing over my father's then vista laptop. As he turned it on I informed "it's booting, take a nap" After he left I changed passwords. According to consistent speedtest.net tests I get 3 times the paid for speed. (TAKE THAT AOL).
The problem isn't people drinking (or smoking or using Linux or EATING) [btw: I eat and use Linux] the problem is those who do it immoderately. But there is nothing wrong w/ not drinking or smoking [eating is somehow different] and if there is no bourbon, none can be stolen by roommates so some problems are solved there...