PDA

View Full Version : [wubi] Xubuntu 8.04.1, Wubi, Win 7

BrEtTlEy
February 10th, 2010, 01:37 AM
Greeting:
Hi. Long time linux fan here.

Background:
I am running Windows 7 on an HP TC4400 tablet. I have to install ubuntu 8.04.1.

If you know anything about HP TC4400s you will note they do not have an optical drive. I am using MagicDisc (virtual drive) to mount the iso and do the install (I don't know if this is the cause, just more info).

Wubi 8.04 seems like the most logical choice to do this. So I tried it.

Problem:
After installing wubi, It skips right to the "Starting Windows" Screen. No errors or anything.

More Info:
I thought, "Ha! What's the diff, I'll just use 9.1." Worked like a charm bracelet of charmy charms. But my professor professes that I need 8.04 for a project in my operating system class.

Plead:
Here is where I ask for help.

Disclaimer:
I have searched this forum for anyone who has tried and failed to do this. Either it is so simple, I am re-tahrd and everyone knows how to do this but me OR no one does this. Please no Windows 7 sucks flamers. We all know, but I am not about to whimsically format my HD for a school project.

BrEtTlEy
February 14th, 2010, 12:21 AM
BuMp. Not even 1 suggestion?

meierfra.
February 15th, 2010, 07:33 AM
I am using MagicDisc (virtual drive)
Did you try installing Wubi via wubi.exe? (no cd drive need):

http://wubi-installer.org/

The file for 8.04 is available at sourceforge:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/wubi/files/

But I'm not sure that the 8.04 still works.

BrEtTlEy
February 15th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the suggestion but I did try that. The 9.1 version works fine but think it is an incompatibility with windows 7 and 8. 04.1

Mencarta
February 15th, 2010, 08:44 PM
If you are asking why it skips to Windows after you installed Ubuntu 8.04 then push F8 before the loading bar to get the options. Then select choose the os. Just select Ubuntu 8.04

BrEtTlEy
February 17th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. However, there is no entry for Xubuntu in the boot menu. I'll google how to edit the Win 7 boot menu and let you all know how it goes.