PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How to fix this dilemma securely between ecryptfs and ssh server

LighthouseJ
February 10th, 2010, 12:58 AM
I just installed Ubuntu 9.10 on this server of mine.
I want to open it to a few people so I changed to a nonstandard port (>1024), turned off password authentication and turned on key authentication.

I also installed this with eCryptFS, which mounts and unmounts an encrypted home directory for each user on their first login and last logout.

The problem is if I'm not logged in and try to ssh in, openssh server can't find my authorized_keys file (it's inside of my encrypted home that's not mounted yet) and I cannot login. I had to plug a keyboard into the headless machine and login blind to get access via ssh.

What's the best way to fix this? Tell the sshd_config file to use an authorized_keys file not in my home dir?

thanks

FuturePilot
February 10th, 2010, 01:24 AM
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openssh/+bug/362427/comments/12
That's what I did

LighthouseJ
February 10th, 2010, 01:29 AM
ah, thanks friend, but what if the machine is headless and would be a massive PITA to do this from the console?

Agent ME
February 10th, 2010, 03:16 AM
If the machine is headless, isn't using a few console commands your only choice? You can run those commands over SSH.

FuturePilot
February 10th, 2010, 03:53 AM
ah, thanks friend, but what if the machine is headless and would be a massive PITA to do this from the console?

You can do it just fine over SSH.

LighthouseJ
February 10th, 2010, 11:34 PM
But how do I get to the unmounted home directory while my encrypted home is mounted?

cariboo
February 11th, 2010, 12:02 AM
You shouldn't have to mount your unecrypted home, it is already mounted. Just follow the instructions in the link FuturePilot provided.

LighthouseJ
February 11th, 2010, 12:22 AM
Okay, I think that worked.
I had to do a few more steps but I know my way around linux and got it to work.

The steps linked above should include a proper chmod on the new autheorized_keys file that was created.

Thanks everyone.
I'll mark as solved.