PDA

View Full Version : Gnome Shutdown panel sticks on fresh install

AudioDef
February 10th, 2010, 12:00 AM
I had a couple of major snafus installing Ubuntu 9.10. First, I apparently cannot install the 32-bit version on my 64-bit system. I want 32 because I want to use some programs and audio plugins that are not known to work on 64-bit systems. I have installed 32-bit operating systems on 64-bit hardware before, so either the dual Opterons on this particular system demand 64-bit only, or something is wrong with the 32-bit installer that prevents it from being installed with 64-bit processors.

My other problem is that the Gnome shutdown/restart/hibernate panel pops up over and over. And over. And over. And over. And over. And over. And over. Each time it doesn't matter whether I click cancel. A new one pops up immediately.

I've never liked Gnome. Always ran into some problem or other before even doing anything with it. At least work out the bugs if you use it as the default desktop in a distro. This shutdown panel lays on top of everything else. I quickly installed and logged into Fluxbox and SO FAR Ubuntu isn't shutting my computer off arbitrarily (no, there's nothing wrong with the hardware).

I got seriously pissed while this was happening. This sounds like a MAJOR bug that needs to be fixed right away. I almost gave up and went right back to Gentoo (I'm trying Ubuntu to see how it deals with setting up a pro-audio production machine compared with Gentoo. Ubuntu rapidly lost many, many points right at the beginning!).