PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Mouse won't work and maybe keyboard

IWC316
February 9th, 2010, 11:28 PM
I just installed Ubuntu for the first time and the mouse would not work. I restarted the computer and it did for only maybe 10 sec. I have never used Linux so i am not sure if the keyboard works. I tried to hi alt to get to a menu bu I got nothing. It is a wireless keyboard "Logitech" and a wired Gateway mouse.

So what is the deal?

IWC316
February 9th, 2010, 11:38 PM
The keyboard works to login with the password and alt does nothing when I rebooted it. When I boot vista they both work.

IWC316
February 10th, 2010, 01:35 AM
Ok I have rebooted and gave it another shot. I tried to clicked firefox quick and the little circle popped up to show it was working and it froze. So it seem to be the whole deal.

Anyone? Anyone?

warp99
February 10th, 2010, 02:00 AM
You seem to have a conflict with other USB devices if the keyboard or mouse is also USB. Remove any other devices and try again. If the problem persists try a different USB slot for the keyboard and/or mouse.

jenaniston
February 10th, 2010, 03:25 AM
A full install ? . . .
try the second choice for the Ubuntu recovery mode kernel - at least to get to a text command line
and start troubleshooting -
and at exit from that you can still be put in a user text mode but at a full runlevel " N 2", btw -
but without GUI.

But if booting a live version that the screen won't come up (not your case here I think) -
but for the record for other readers . . . use the Esc key twice to get to a text mode choice.

What version / distribution by the way . . . and what is the cpu ? 64-bit . . . ?

Some config and/or drivers for your model keyboard/mouse/display prolly . . .

IWC316
February 10th, 2010, 04:50 AM
I get to the desktop and it appears to freeze up. I have an Intel 1.6 GHz dual core processor and partitioned off 60g on the HDD. I have tried unplugging each of the usb devices and no luck. They are the key board, mouse, and wireless adapter. I may be able to dig up an old style keyboard, ps2 if i remember right but that would defeat the purpose. I am looking to get this puppy going as fast as possible to hook up to the HDTV.

I may try to reinstall Ubuntu and see if that takes care of it.:popcorn:

warp99
February 10th, 2010, 02:58 PM
You don't need to reinstall since that's not the issue. With Linux you never need to reinstall except for a catastrophic failure. Constant reinstalling is a Windows mentality. This is only a conflict and you just need to resolve it.

I suggest you go into your BIOS settings and make sure that your USB legacy devices settings for the keyboard/mouse are turned on. If they are then try the opposite and turn them off.

jenaniston
February 10th, 2010, 05:40 PM
You don't need to reinstall since that's not the issue. . . . This is only a conflict and you just need to resolve it.

Yes, I agree . . . and it is very good to be reminded of this as I too have
also found myself falling into that re-install mentality on occasion.

. . .
I suggest you go into your BIOS settings and make sure that your USB legacy devices settings for the keyboard/mouse are turned on. If they are then try the opposite and turn them off.

Good suggestion . . .

USB input devices, such as a keyboard or mouse, can require USB legacy emulation to work correctly.

As an alternative,
you can configure the USB host controller's resource settings to match those that are assigned by the BIOS . . .
so to resolve the conflict you can try setting the USB Host Controller to use the BIOS settings.

warp99
February 10th, 2010, 07:30 PM
I just remembered, I had a similar problem with a Logictech keyboard and mouse combination not working correctly on an EVGA motherboard. The solution for me was to plug the mouse into the P/S 2 (purple) keyboard connector and the keyboard into a USB slot sans the adapter.

BTW I did this by accident and was surprised that it worked!!!

uilenspiegel
February 15th, 2010, 03:31 PM
What you're describing sounds similar to the issue described, and solved, in this post on the Mint forums: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=38423&start=0

Does this seem to be the problem?