PDA

View Full Version : Need help picking out a new laptop

placement80
February 9th, 2010, 08:07 PM
My old laptop was stolen, and now I'm looking for a replacement. It had a Pentium M 1.4 GHz, 768 MBs of memory (I don't remember the exact specs) and XP Home. The laptop I'm looking at now is an Acer eMachines G525 with a 2.2 GHz Celeron 900, 2GBs of DDR2 SDRAM 667 MHz and Windows 7. I used my old laptop for graphics editing (Coreldraw) and was perfectly happy with the performance. How would the Acer do in comparison?

ErwinC
February 9th, 2010, 09:40 PM
I have a Laptop Emachines G620, processor: AMD64 Athlon X2, Graphics: Nvidia Geforce 9100M G ...
Kubuntu 9.10 (KDE 4.3.4) is running on it without any problems.
Grtz,
Erwin

kmsalex
February 10th, 2010, 04:36 AM
dell has 2 pre loaded with 9.10 the netbook (with mobil)
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=dncwfa2&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19
uping the battery and giving it a 16 gb ssd puts it at $314 not have bad for a netbook with thoughse specs.
and the reguale laptop, thats not that grate for the price.
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=dncwzl1&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19
but sitill worth a look.

Changturkey
February 10th, 2010, 04:58 AM
Do you have any other models that you like?

witeshark17
February 10th, 2010, 05:36 AM
The Ubuntu preloaded Dells are well worth a look. :popcorn:

Psumi
February 10th, 2010, 10:51 AM
The Ubuntu preloaded Dells are well worth a look. :popcorn:

Aren't they loaded with a few hacks to make stuff work? If so, what happens if you want to fresh install?

Changturkey
February 10th, 2010, 08:15 PM
I'd suggest Thinkpads now that I think of it.

lukaszr
February 10th, 2010, 08:16 PM
I'd suggest Thinkpads now that I think of it.

expensive tho...?

Changturkey
February 10th, 2010, 08:21 PM
Their entry SL series is pretty decent; not as good as the T series, but I liked the SL 400 a lot. A Dell Vostro I owned was quite good too, except for the nVidia GFX inside.

Homnibus
February 10th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Aren't they loaded with a few hacks to make stuff work? If so, what happens if you want to fresh install?

no, there are all sweet,

everything works well on the dell

fresh install causes no problems

The Real Dave
February 10th, 2010, 11:56 PM
My old laptop was stolen, and now I'm looking for a replacement. It had a Pentium M 1.4 GHz, 768 MBs of memory (I don't remember the exact specs) and XP Home. The laptop I'm looking at now is an Acer eMachines G525 with a 2.2 GHz Celeron 900, 2GBs of DDR2 SDRAM 667 MHz and Windows 7. I used my old laptop for graphics editing (Coreldraw) and was perfectly happy with the performance. How would the Acer do in comparison?

Sounds ok, but the Celeron will be your bottleneck. They designed to be cheap, not powerful, and never really were. For light usage it would be ok, but personally if I was gonna spend the money, I'd get something slightly more futureproof and look for a dual core, an Intel Core2 duo probably. Pentium Dual Cores are cheaper but older, so less powerful, little hotter, but worth looking at I suppose. I have little experience with AMD so can't talk there :)

Other than that, it seems to be a good laptop. You can always upgrade the RAM in the future, and for the average user there isn't much of an advantage of DDR3 over DDR2 (to my knowledge). Should be fine for your needs if you were happy with your old one :)

placement80
February 12th, 2010, 02:59 AM
I'm afraid the laptops with Linux aren't really an option unless I can get my software to run in Wine.

Sounds ok, but the Celeron will be your bottleneck. They designed to be cheap, not powerful, and never really were. For light usage it would be ok, but personally if I was gonna spend the money, I'd get something slightly more futureproof and look for a dual core, an Intel Core2 duo probably. Pentium Dual Cores are cheaper but older, so less powerful, little hotter, but worth looking at I suppose.

The place I'm looking to buy from also has some laptops in my price range with T4400 processors, and those are dual core. If I went a little outside my price range, they even have one with a Core i3, but that might be overkill since my graphics apps were running just fine on a Pentium M from 2004. Of course these laptops all have Windows 7, and I'm guessing that requires more resources than XP.

kmsalex
February 12th, 2010, 03:45 AM
i have a pentuim dual core on this laptop and it handles every thing i throw at it prity well.
dell and hp are having presidents day sales, hp does't have any great deals but here's a list of the dells.
http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/laptop_great_deals?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&redirect=1
the $399 one will do just fine for most people, though i would recomend personalizing it, first up the 250gb 5400 to the 7200, give it at least the 6 cell battery (i would get the 9) up the g wirles card to the n. and if you can afored up the intel GMA 4500HD to the ATI.
but remeber these are temparty deals 2/15.