PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Trouble installing Xubuntu 9.1 on Compaq M700

bbcoachJ
February 9th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Trying to install xubuntu 9.10 on an older Compaq Armada M700. Starts up fine from the CD. I choose English and then choose Install Xubuntu from the menu. It attempts to install for about 20 minutes and then freezes up. I am never prompted for any other choices during the installation. I have WindowsXP installed on the machine, but want to wipe it out and just have Xubuntu installed.

Anyone else have an issue trying to install on a Compaq M700? Any suggestions?

Thanks

bbcoachJ

QuickFinder
February 15th, 2010, 06:08 AM
Yeah, I've attempted an installation on my Compaq Armada M700 as well. I'm using the Xubuntu 9.10 alternate install CD, and installation completes just fine. The only upgrade to my system has been RAM: I have 384MB.

Keep in mind, that doesn't mean my installation works afterwards. There's an issue with the video that prevents the system from loading the desktop, and it's a problem I didn't have with 9.04. So even if you find a way around your current issue, don't be surprised if you encounter mine.

I may mention, though, that I had a similar issue as yours when installing Slitaz, and found that I needed a special "flavor" intended for low-resource PCs. I have more than enough RAM for such a tiny distribution, so I hazarded a guess that the CD-ROM's read speed was too slow (it is very old, after all). But that hasn't stopped me from installing Xubuntu or Puppy, so I'm still not sure what the deal is.

QuickFinder
February 15th, 2010, 06:22 AM
Hehe...I take that back. Video didn't work on the first four installations, but by golly it works on the fifth one! So hey, it's possible after all! :D

By the way, you probably won't find many people here who have M700s to toy around with, so if you ever want me to test something on mine before you try it on yours, let me know. :)