PDA

View Full Version : Long-term maintenance in different Linux distributions

darsu
February 9th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Since I don't know how delicate the topic is, I'll start with a disclaimer: this is not meant as a flame or a start for an argument.

I'm getting to a point where I can no longer bear Ubuntu's policy of abandoning old releases. With each version of Ubuntu there comes a time when I face an obligatory upgrade if I want new versions of software. The upgrade is a disruptive and stressing process that takes many hours of time and causes unpredictable changes in any number of parts of my system. Yes, I am free to compile stuff from the latest sources if the package in the repositories is no longer up to date; but that feels like a mere stopgap that makes the disruption of the upgrade even bigger.

I'm now burning my second night in a row on a disastrous upgrade quagmire that snowballed from an innocuous attempt to install openCV. Attached is a funny screenshot from KDE's systemsettings. I don't have the energy to describe everything that's not working right, and even if I had I doubt that the good community here could but suggest a reinstallation from scratch.

This mess isn't the first of its kind, but it will have to be the last. I'm tired; I would like to be able to maintain my system in a steady incremental fashion, and I'm coming to the conclusion that Ubuntu may not be the distribution for me. But is there such a thing as a desktop-friendly Linux distribution that operates without the concept of release lifespan that Ubuntu has? Or do they all operate with similar principles?

Or am I just doing it wrong? Please educate me if you think I am.

JDShu
February 9th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Arch I guess?

juancarlospaco
February 9th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Who abandon what?,
got older Ubuntu working, only have to make a small change on sources.list to get avaliable the entire repo.

mkvnmtr
February 9th, 2010, 06:35 PM
I have no trouble with the new releases but I understand your frustation. PCLinux I believe uses a rolling release. Once you get it setup you just go along updating.You might try it, It is a very good distro. I keep using Ubuntu even though I am always trying others in Virtul Box but it might be just that I aam used to it. Most of the others are just as good.

Tibuda
February 9th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Arch I guess?

in before flamewar

juancarlospaco
February 9th, 2010, 06:55 PM
No one says Arch is bad, it doesnt kill anyone ATM

snowpine
February 9th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Hi Darsu, a thoughtful post! :) The idea behind a time-based-release distro (like Ubuntu, Debian Stable, Fedora, and many others) is that your system maintenence is "lumped together" into a big upgrade every 6 months. When you decide to upgrade to a new Ubuntu release (preferrably on a day you don't have a tight deadline!) you might have to spend a few hours making sure everything goes okay, but then you are set with a super-stable system for the next 6 months. No major updates, just bug fixes and security patches, so you don't need to worry.

A "rolling release" distro (like Arch) sounds exactly like what you're looking for. There are no distinct releases; rather, everything is in a constant state of flux with apps being updated as soon as a new version is available. Compared to Ubuntu, rolling release system maintenance is spread out a little bit every week, rather than a lot every 6 months.

I personally prefer rolling release to a 6-month cycle, and use Arch for that reason. But I think you will find the Ubuntu model has its admirers, which is one reason that Ubuntu is the #1 Linux distro for desktop users. :)

darsu
February 9th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Thanks for the swift replies! I'll look into Arch. But my 9.10 upgrade is still churning away--if it fixes things I won't have to think about jumping ship for a good while longer.

LowSky
February 9th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Arch is awesome, but no one has mentioned the downside to it's rolling release schedule. With rolling releases you have a chance that your system might not always work optimally. Every once in a while something can go wrong, maybe a dependencies gets updated but the file it supported no longer work.

I use Arch and its fine for me, but I kinda know what I'm doing. For a new user Arch isn't very simple to install a fully working GUI without reading the install direction very, very carefully.

juancarlospaco
February 9th, 2010, 07:39 PM
I think the way to go is SYNC releases between everything possible, Distros and Apps.

So a Long Term Distro dont ship Alpha/Beta/RC or Too Old Apps.

:)

l-x-l
February 9th, 2010, 07:40 PM
I think I'll be sticking to 10.04 for a while. Unless 10.10 proves revolutionary.

LowSky
February 9th, 2010, 07:49 PM
I think I'll be sticking to 10.04 for a while. Unless 10.10 proves revolutionary.

10.10 *might* have Gnome 3
there's your revolution