PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Updating Karmic with dual boot

decopeland
February 9th, 2010, 05:32 PM
I have Ubuntu 9.10 (kernel 2.6.31-18) on internal drive of Asus 900A netbook and Ubuntu 9.10 (kernel 2.6.31-17) on external drive (using the original Asus ssd drive and RunCore enclosure). I have tried 3 times to update the internal drive. Each time after installing the update on the internal drive and rebooting, it will boot into memtest. And I can no longer boot from the external drive. There does not seem to be a way to change the boot loader. The only way I can run Ubuntu is to restore the image (using Clonezilla and backup file from SD card). By the way, Clonezilla is a nice product. I am beginning to think I will not be able to update to Ubuntu 10.4 when it is released. I don't have a reason to update the external drive as it is used just as a backup should the internal drive fail. Any suggestions?

decopeland
February 9th, 2010, 11:02 PM
I have figured it out. The external drive has to be connected when updating the internal drive to a new kernel. Then GRUB for both drives has to be installed to see the new menu. I was even able to configure the internal drive so that the menu is not displayed during boot if the external drive is not connected. I hope I can keep this expertise going!