PDA

View Full Version : Kde sc 4.4 is released

praveesh
February 9th, 2010, 03:49 PM
The Kde Sc 4.4 is released today. See the announcement at http://www.kde.org/announcements/4.4/ . And the visual guide at http://www.kde.org/announcements/4.4/guide.php

Giant Speck
February 9th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Awesomesauce!

RiceMonster
February 9th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Awesome stuff. Looking forward to upgrading.

Nerd King
February 9th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Been playing with the RCs and it's very very good (this from a Gnome user).

aaaantoine
February 9th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Let's see how long it takes before the Chakra Project finishes packaging KDEmod.

cb951303
February 9th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Looks really good.

Can somebody explain me though, why the hell KDE team puts applications in packages like kdepim or kdenetwork? I never understood the reason behind that.
It annoys the **** out of me. I don't need 20 other applications to get only Kopete.

KDEmod is a good solution and upstream should embrace the same idea.

DeadSuperHero
February 9th, 2010, 07:03 PM
I'm really digging the new KDE website.

nerdy_kid
February 9th, 2010, 07:16 PM
i wonder when it will hit the kubuntu ppa... I WANT IT NOOOWWWW

cguy
February 9th, 2010, 09:26 PM
After watching the promo videos I wonder what the K in KDE stands for.
Kickass? :)

DeadSuperHero
February 9th, 2010, 09:36 PM
After watching the promo videos I wonder what the K in KDE stands for.
Kickass? :)

Kludge.

*ducks*

nrs
February 9th, 2010, 09:53 PM
Looks really good.

Can somebody explain me though, why the hell KDE team puts applications in packages like kdepim or kdenetwork? I never understood the reason behind that.
It annoys the **** out of me. I don't need 20 other applications to get only Kopete.

KDEmod is a good solution and upstream should embrace the same idea.
Organization. Still, you should still be able to install these applications indivudally, if you can't, it's the distributions fault. In Arch I can go the individual route. Same with Debian. They should just be meta-packages that pull in the individual ones.

cb951303
February 9th, 2010, 10:08 PM
Organization. Still, you should still be able to install these applications indivudally, if you can't, it's the distributions fault. In Arch I can go the individual route. Same with Debian. They should just be meta-packages that pull in the individual ones.

any version control system will suffice for organization. what is convenient about categorizing applications with common names?

IMHO it's not distributions fault. Not every team has manpower to divide KDE packages and create singular packages for every application and then maintain it for every release.
I truly believe it's KDE's fault for not making it easy for distributions to package KDE in modular way.

Sand & Mercury
February 9th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Damn, the first thing I thought when I read this was "Great, now all they need is a decent website to promote it" -- then I jump on the website and that's EXACTLY what I see. Nice!

nrs
February 9th, 2010, 10:35 PM
any version control system will suffice for organization. what is convenient about categorizing applications with common names?

IMHO it's not distributions fault. Not every team has manpower to divide KDE packages and create singular packages for every application and then maintain it for every release.
I truly believe it's KDE's fault for not making it easy for distributions to package KDE in modular way.
I honestly don't think this a problem. As long as I can remember KDE has been the easier one to build. AFAIK, GNOME being a major PITA to build is one of the reasons why it was dropped from Slackware, and why it generally takes longer to be packaged in Arch and Gentoo.

I don't know what you expect them to do? You want single packages, but then say they're too complicated to maintain/distribute.

nerdy_kid
February 10th, 2010, 03:07 PM
i think the kubuntu people died.....

[edit]
would building the source myself mess up apt once 4.4.1 comes out? i would think that it would break updates?

Skripka
February 10th, 2010, 04:12 PM

[edit]
would building the source myself mess up apt once 4.4.1 comes out? i would think that it would break updates?

They are usually a few days behind the announcement. This is totally normal. Be surprised if you see 4.4 packaged and available before Friday.

Mustache Villain
February 10th, 2010, 05:45 PM

It's in the staging progress we should be getting it very soon. It'll probably be updated from the Backports PPA (https://launchpad.net/%7Ekubuntu-ppa/+archive/backports).

DCJuggler
February 10th, 2010, 06:08 PM
When will i be able to install this in kubuntu?

TheNessus
February 10th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Still very buggy. frequent plasma crashes.

But... the improvements are very good! Like the plasma themes in "system settings->appearance", where they should have been to begin with. Also we could get rid of the annoying cashew ******* son of a *** thingie.

Islington
February 10th, 2010, 06:22 PM

But... the improvements are very good! Like the plasma themes in "system settings->appearance", where they should have been to begin with. Also we could get rid of the annoying cashew ******* son of a *** thingie.

I am on rc2 and its extremely stable. Also the cashew toolbox, is meant for cleverer things . if you wish to hide it, install the hidecashew plasmoid.

TheNessus
February 10th, 2010, 06:30 PM
I am on rc2 and its extremely stable. Also the cashew toolbox, is meant for cleverer things . if you wish to hide it, install the hidecashew plasmoid.

This and Smooth Tasks cause plasma crashes for me, and not just me. bugs reported already. Though I must admit- i did the upgrade on a kde-minimal I got from synaptic, so this may be the fault. Now I use kubuntu clean install, and it is very bug-free (As opposed to the kde-minimal even before the upgrade to 4.4)

isaacj87
February 10th, 2010, 10:02 PM

I'm on OpenSUSE 11.2 with KDE 4.4.0 and it's pretty flawless. I'll admit I've been trying to crash the thing and the only thing that upsets plasma is trying to add google gadgets with the plasma-widget bar. Other than that, it's quite stable.

I'm still wrestling with Nepomuk (after the conversion to v6) and I still can't get it to work (was working in RC2 and RC3).

TheNessus
February 10th, 2010, 10:05 PM
I'm on OpenSUSE 11.2 with KDE 4.4.0 and it's pretty flawless. I'll admit I've been trying to crash the thing and the only thing that upsets plasma is trying to add google gadgets with the plasma-widget bar. Other than that, it's quite stable.

I'm still wrestling with Nepomuk (after the conversion to v6) and I still can't get it to work (was working in RC2 and RC3).

oh ya, that had an error too when I tried 4.4.

Anyway, OpenSUSE might explain the flawless KDE. Kubuntu is not quite there yet. But I'll forgive'em :)

HappyFeet
February 10th, 2010, 11:43 PM

That's why I don't use it. If all you care about is eye candy, then you're all set.

weblogger
February 10th, 2010, 11:53 PM
KDE 4.4 is now available on launchpad (kubuntu-ppa/backports):
https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+archive/backports/

Giant Speck
February 11th, 2010, 12:16 AM
KDE 4.4 is now available on launchpad (kubuntu-ppa/backports):
https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ppa/+archive/backports/ (https://launchpad.net/%7Ekubuntu-ppa/+archive/backports/)

This has also been announced on Kubuntu's website.

Awesomesauce. I'll try this out when I get back from work.

chessnerd
February 11th, 2010, 12:19 AM
Okay, the KDE devs have my attention.

I have for a long while wanted the ability to take multiple windows and combine them into one window with tabs. To me, that is the idea of a good, flexible GUI. Add to that the Windows 7 side-by-side ability and the impressive click-and-drag content abilities and I'm definitely going to need to try this out.

I've had a pro-Gnome mentality for a while now, so that's saying something if I actually want to give KDE another go. Plus, with Gnome Shell mucking up Gnome 3.0 it looks like I might migrate over to Kubuntu and KDE once KDE 4.4 is used in Kubuntu.

Is KDE 4.4 going to be included in 10.04 or is 10.10 the first version of Kubuntu that's going to use it?

Skripka
February 11th, 2010, 12:20 AM
This and Smooth Tasks cause plasma crashes for me, and not just me. bugs reported already. Though I must admit- i did the upgrade on a kde-minimal I got from synaptic, so this may be the fault. Now I use kubuntu clean install, and it is very bug-free (As opposed to the kde-minimal even before the upgrade to 4.4)

Wait for new versions of said plasmoids to be issued, and/or recompile them for 4.4 That is your problem, nothing the KDE devs can do anything about, or did wrong.

KDE4.4 runs great here. No crashes, only one minor hiccup thus far.

Giant Speck
February 11th, 2010, 12:51 AM
I'm noticing from screenshots that they cleaned up the Oxygen theme a bit. Is it more customizable this time around?

Xbehave
February 11th, 2010, 12:52 AM
They are usually a few days behind the announcement. This is totally normal. Be surprised if you see 4.4 packaged and available before Friday.
Shame they were already packaged 11 hours before you posted that, but hey don't let facts get in the way of your hatred for ubuntu.

Skripka
February 11th, 2010, 12:56 AM
Shame they were already packaged 11 hours before you posted that, but hey don't let facts get in the way of your hatred for ubuntu.

Historically, it has always taken a few days from release announcement to availability to end user for Kubuntu via backports. Around KDE4.2 they got around to getting packages out on their servers faster.

They get it out faster, great. Takes them a week, and users get impatient and grumpy. I don't care, I don't have anything riding on it one way or another.

Feel free to post more drivel accusing me of irrational hatred of Ubuntu. I don't care.

cguy
February 11th, 2010, 01:18 AM
how does one install 4.4 on jaunty?
I added the ppas and installed kde, but it only got me 4.2.2.

Then I enabled the unsupported updates (backports), but that gor me 4.2.4.

Is this just for karmic?

--

Edit: apparently the launchpad page changed and it's not offering backports for jaunty. (they didn't work anyway.)
I changed the ppas to use the backports for karmic. What can happen, right? Let's see if it installs right.

TheNessus
February 11th, 2010, 01:19 AM
ok, very annnoying bug. don't know how to get rid of it. KickOff menu is BLANK.

works great when its out of the panel floating... hmm

Skripka
February 11th, 2010, 01:25 AM
how does one install 4.4 on jaunty?
I added the ppas and installed kde, but it only got me 4.2.2.

Then I enabled the unsupported updates (backports), but that gor me 4.2.4.

Is this just for karmic?

Seems they've only packaged for Karmic and above on *buntu.

Follow this linky:
http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-sc-4.4

NightwishFan
February 11th, 2010, 01:25 AM
I've had a pro-Gnome mentality for a while now, so that's saying something if I actually want to give KDE another go. Plus, with Gnome Shell mucking up Gnome 3.0 it looks like I might migrate over to Kubuntu and KDE once KDE 4.4 is used in Kubuntu.

You should try the latest Gnome Shell from the Ricotz PPA. It is still months from release and very good so far.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ricotz/testing && sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 9E5DB0C8 && sudo apt-get update
Then just apt-get or synaptic the Gnome Shell to install.

Personally I think KDE focusing on the Windows Port is a waste of valuable resources. When I say that I do not mean "Do not do it" just do it a bit later. I was a KDE user for about 2.5 years until 4.2 came out, which was a relative disaster.

cguy
February 11th, 2010, 01:59 AM
*Fingers crossed* so they'll package for Jaunty. :D

RiceMonster
February 11th, 2010, 02:36 AM
Upgraded today. Really liking it, especially drag and drop wallpapers from dolphin, the new device notifier, and the aero snap feature. Good stuff.

MasterNetra
February 11th, 2010, 02:42 AM
Just attempted to update to 4.4... I had the backports thing setup in software sources but 32 packages are blocked x.x Which I think is responsible for a issue I'm having, that being KDE Workspace crashing at login. Thank goodness for Shift+Alt+F2. Hopefully I can get this fix so I can go play with KDE >.>

NightwishFan
February 11th, 2010, 02:48 AM
Upgraded today. Really liking it, especially drag and drop wallpapers from thunar, the new device notifier, and the aero snap feature. Good stuff.

:)

MacJack
February 11th, 2010, 03:14 AM
Drag n drop is the future. :)

Islington
February 11th, 2010, 03:19 AM
Drag n drop is the future. :)

actually Activities are the future (I hope...)

MacJack
February 11th, 2010, 03:21 AM
actually Activities are the future (I hope...)

I only tried Gnome Shell once.

Islington
February 11th, 2010, 03:23 AM
I only tried Gnome Shell once.

er..what now? I was talking about kde activities and tie-ins into things like nepomuk.

~sHyLoCk~
February 11th, 2010, 03:37 AM
I dislike the default theme. Also it feels a bit heavy on the resources than 4.3.x :o

RiceMonster
February 11th, 2010, 03:42 AM
I dislike the default theme. Also it feels a bit heavy on the resources than 4.3.x :o

Disable nepomuk. I'm pretty sure I was getting a memory leak with that.

Islington
February 11th, 2010, 04:05 AM

are you using virtuoso as a backend?

Skripka
February 11th, 2010, 04:19 AM

Interesting. Nepomuk is behaving fine here, and is still at ~40MB (with shared memory) after 7 hrs of online time.

RiceMonster
February 11th, 2010, 04:29 AM
are you using virtuoso as a backend?

I believe so, yes.

Interesting. Nepomuk is behaving fine here, and is still at ~40MB (with shared memory) after 7 hrs of online time.

With nepomuk on, I had my memory usage climb from ~450MB to around 1GB in about 25 minutes.

Skripka
February 11th, 2010, 04:34 AM
With nepomuk on, I had my memory usage climb from ~450MB to around 1GB in about 25 minutes.

I just opened up ma' iGoogle in Rekonq...X was pinging 1 CPU core @100% as long as that tab was open.

armageddon08
February 11th, 2010, 04:42 AM
Anybody knows how can I install KDE 4.4 in Fedora 12?

Skripka
February 11th, 2010, 04:44 AM

Foist hit on Google:

http://www.manast.com/2010/02/01/how-to-upgrade-to-kde-4-4-on-fedora-12/

RiceMonster
February 11th, 2010, 04:45 AM

It may be available in rawhide, though I'm not sure.

isaacj87
February 11th, 2010, 05:26 AM
I believe so, yes.

I'm not getting that problem either. However, I'm getting a change of behavior from virtuoso v5 (which I think is the culprit) to v6. I used to be able to search for files based solely on their name and tagged, but now I can only find files that are tagged.

Islington
February 11th, 2010, 05:43 AM
yeah converting was a hassle. :(

isaacj87
February 11th, 2010, 06:20 AM
yeah converting was a hassle. :(

Any tips on getting the darn thing to work properly?

bleedingħtheħdead
February 11th, 2010, 08:11 AM
anyone else having problems installing 4.4 on kubu 9.10?

nrs
February 11th, 2010, 08:23 AM
I believe so, yes.

That's strange, it's only allowed to consume 50MB by default. There is a setting in the control panel you can play with to increase/decrease it.

Perfect Storm
February 11th, 2010, 08:26 AM
anyone else having problems installing 4.4 on kubu 9.10?

Went pretty smooth for me.
You might want to make a thread in one of our support forums. PM me the link and I'll take a look.

bleedingħtheħdead
February 11th, 2010, 08:30 AM
Went pretty smooth for me.
You might want to make a thread in one of our support forums. PM me the link and I'll take a look.

no thanks.

Islington
February 11th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Any tips on getting the darn thing to work properly?

delete your old index if it isnt too big instead of converting it. I know that sounds rather like giving up rather than diagnosing the problem.

RiceMonster
February 11th, 2010, 01:59 PM
That's strange, it's only allowed to consume 50MB by default. There is a setting in the control panel you can play with to increase/decrease it.

Yeah, looked into that. I think I'll file a bug report about it.

Islington
February 11th, 2010, 02:16 PM
I'm using the great karmic-backports PPA to get my fresh copy of KDE 4.4 as I'm sure others are too. One problem I came across was that Nepomuk, Akonadi and Virtuoso didn't seem to be playing nicely and as a result I wasn't able to use these great technologies to their fullest. Basically, I was getting the 'Nepomuk not running' error popping up. This was because Virtuoso was reporting a pre-6.0 DB and refused to deal with it (old virtuoso 5x DB from previous upgrades through karmic-backports PPA). Unfortunately, virtuosoconverter didn't work and reported that it couldn't see a legit Virtuoso installation.

Here's what I did to fix it - NOTE THAT THIS MEANS YOUR INDEX WILL NEED TO BE REBUILT FROM SCRATCH:

#> akonadictl stop
#> qdbus org.kde.NepomukServer /nepomukserver quit
#> kbuildsycoca4 --noincremental
#> rm ~/.kde/share/apps/nepomuk/repository/main/data/virtuosobackend/*
#> nepomukservicestub nepomukstorage
#> akonadictl start

That fixed it for me, hope this helps anyone else with the same issues.

Now I can go back to thoroughly enjoying this great release! I'll be sure to blog more about my experiences in the future. I found this post on planet, it is very helpful for problems with the aforementioned.

hanzomon4
February 11th, 2010, 04:45 PM
As with all the kde 4 updates.. much better then the last one. Now if I could only find a "docky" like app that will use the kde icon theme and a qt4 sip client we'd be in business

Islington
February 11th, 2010, 05:15 PM
As with all the kde 4 updates.. much better then the last one. Now if I could only find a "docky" like app that will use the kde icon theme and a qt4 sip client we'd be in business

Fancy tasks plasmoid and kiax2?

http://sourceforge.net/projects/kiax/files/

http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php/Fancy+Tasks?content=99737

Xbehave
February 11th, 2010, 09:40 PM
For those having problems, try logging in as a new user. If that works

mv ~/.kde{,~}
then gradually move files back

mv ~/.kde{~,}/some/settings/dir
#when typing it's usually fastest to find the dir (using tab completion), then add the {~,}
until you find the problem then reconfigure that app manually (ideally filling a bug report too)

Settings migration between versions is not great in kde.

aaaantoine
February 11th, 2010, 10:01 PM
KDEmod was released. I do not like

- The default theme as it appears on the panels. It appears as lots of vertical lines that distract from what's in the foreground.
- Stasks/Smooth Tasks no longer works. :( Back to using a horizontal panel for now.
- System Settings disappeared from the Application Launcher's Computer tab (though it is still accessible via the search field.)

But I do like

- Being able to put the device notifier in the System Tray, where it stinkin' belongs!
- The thin glowing bar that starts to show up when your mouse moves to reveal a hidden panel.
- The fact that they fixed custom emoticon settings some time since 4.2.
- In the Folder View plasmoid: the contrast glow behind the text is stronger, so you can actually read black text on a black background.
- Lots of other little improvements.

Still disappointed in Kwin's compositing performance on my video card. Compiz is faster. Or, Compiz as it works on the Ubuntu Live CD is faster. I dunno, maybe it's just my computer settings.

Tabbed windows only works with the Oxygen window decoration (understandably). The jury here is still out on whether it's actually useful.

MacJack
February 11th, 2010, 10:08 PM
But I do like

- Being able to put the device notifier in the System Tray, where it stinkin' belongs!

LoL +1

lovinglinux
February 11th, 2010, 10:38 PM
Okay, the KDE devs have my attention.

I have for a long while wanted the ability to take multiple windows and combine them into one window with tabs. To me, that is the idea of a good, flexible GUI. Add to that the Windows 7 side-by-side ability and the impressive click-and-drag content abilities and I'm definitely going to need to try this out.

Wow, that is something I wanted for some time. I was already very happy since I switched to KDE (because of Gnome Shell), but windows in tabs will be awesome. I will install it right now.

lovinglinux
February 11th, 2010, 11:03 PM
I have kde-minimal over a command-line Ubuntu installation. I have added the backport ppa, but the package manager is holding back several packages. Should I do the partial upgrade suggested by the Update Manager? In case something goes wrong, how do I revert the changes?

With simple packages I would simply disable the ppa and do a re-install, but I never used a backport ppa before, specially that would affect so many packages.

Xbehave
February 11th, 2010, 11:57 PM
I have kde-minimal over a command-line Ubuntu installation. I have added the backport ppa, but the package manager is holding back several packages. Should I do the partial upgrade suggested by the Update Manager? In case something goes wrong, how do I revert the changes?

With simple packages I would simply disable the ppa and do a re-install, but I never used a backport ppa before, specially that would affect so many packages.
do a full upgrade using aptitude to resolve conflicts, if you need to downgrade, either
use ppa-purge (not sure where i got that possibley the xorg-edgers ppa)
downgrade using the aptitude tui

Xbehave
February 12th, 2010, 12:03 AM
- The default theme as it appears on the panels. It appears as lots of vertical lines that distract from what's in the foreground.
meh defaults are for noobs :p

- Stasks/Smooth Tasks no longer works. :( Back to using a horizontal panel for now.
I think they messed up all third party launchers i miss daisy and stasks (which recently got packaged and gained middle click options)

- The thin glowing bar that starts to show up when your mouse moves to reveal a hidden panel.
I like that but I also lost the see though notifications, win some/lose some I suppose.

Still disappointed in Kwin's compositing performance on my video card. Compiz is faster. Or, Compiz as it works on the Ubuntu Live CD is faster. I dunno, maybe it's just my computer settings.
I think it's the former kwin's compositing is nice but not as fast as compiz yet. It could be your settings but i wouldn't look too deeply into them as kwin is generally a bit slower.

lovinglinux
February 12th, 2010, 12:12 AM
do a full upgrade using aptitude to resolve conflicts, if you need to downgrade, either
use ppa-purge (not sure where i got that possibley the xorg-edgers ppa)
downgrade using the aptitude tui

Thanks I will definitely look into the ppa-purge. Meanwhile, I have annotated every package upgraded, so I can revert them if something goes wrong. I'm already installing :)

nrs
February 12th, 2010, 12:31 AM
KDEmod was released. I do not like

- System Settings disappeared from the Application Launcher's Computer tab (though it is still accessible via the search field.)

Since you're apparently using Arch, maybe try building smooth tasks again. It was probably built against an older version of Qt / KDE. It's working fine here, but I didn't build it until after I upgraded.

RiceMonster
February 12th, 2010, 01:16 AM
Since you're apparently using Arch, maybe try building smooth tasks again. It was probably built against an older version of Qt / KDE. It's working fine here, but I didn't build it until after I upgraded.

Either that, or it may not have been built against the newer version of libpng that was just pushed into the arch repos. Nontheless, rebuilding is a good idea.

lovinglinux
February 12th, 2010, 03:23 AM
Something went really wrong. After the upgrade, kdm didn't load and I got a weird flickering screen full of weird characters. Tried to delete xorg.conf but no joy, so I decided to re-install Karmic. Everything is fine now. I should have installed KDE 4.4 on my testing system partition. I was so stupid to try it on my main system. I guess I was too confident, just because I can get the system back to the way it was in less then 2 hours.

captaincrook
February 12th, 2010, 07:34 AM
Everything working gravy here. I do miss Ayatana notifications though.

cguy
February 12th, 2010, 08:04 AM
Something went really wrong. After the upgrade, kdm didn't load and I got a weird flickering screen full of weird characters. Tried to delete xorg.conf but no joy, so I decided to re-install Karmic. Everything is fine now. I should have installed KDE 4.4 on my testing system partition. I was so stupid to try it on my main system. I guess I was too confident, just because I can get the system back to the way it was in less then 2 hours.

Same thing here.
It can be solved by restarting X (Alt+E). Unfortunately, I can't afford to reinstall, yet.

I'm gonna file a bug report later today, when I have the time.

OutOfReach
February 12th, 2010, 08:06 AM
I've been using it for about a day now and I must say it's very very good. The default theme just looks beautiful (right when I thought it couldn't get MORE beautiful). And the Aero-Snap feature was just the icing on the cake. And it's pretty damn stable, haven't had it crash once!

...but, has anyone else noticed that KRunner is a bit...clunky? Sometimes it just freezes momentarily, sometimes it doesnt start apps until I re-open the interface, and app indexing seems slower than what it was in 4.3. Anyone else experiencing anything similar?

isaacj87
February 12th, 2010, 08:24 AM
I've been using it for about a day now and I must say it's very very good. The default theme just looks beautiful (right when I thought it couldn't get MORE beautiful). And the Aero-Snap feature was just the icing on the cake. And it's pretty damn stable, haven't had it crash once!

...but, has anyone else noticed that KRunner is a bit...clunky? Sometimes it just freezes momentarily, sometimes it doesnt start apps until I re-open the interface, and app indexing seems slower than what it was in 4.3. Anyone else experiencing anything similar?

It's funny that you mention Krunner's occasional unruly behavior. I recently read a post by Aaron Seigo commenting on the responsiveness of Krunner. Apparently, even he wasn't satisfied. In his post he said he pushed a fix that will apparently make it into 4.4.1 IIRC. I noticed that after I deleted my ~/.kde4 folder, Krunner became a lot smoother.

OutOfReach
February 12th, 2010, 08:44 AM
It's funny that you mention Krunner's occasional unruly behavior. I recently read a post by Aaron Seigo commenting on the responsiveness of Krunner. Apparently, even he wasn't satisfied. In his post he said he pushed a fix that will apparently make it into 4.4.1 IIRC. I noticed that after I deleted my ~/.kde4 folder, Krunner became a lot smoother.

This post (http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2010/02/krunner-responsiveness.html), I assume? I just came across it before reading your post. Interesting problem and solution, though it's a shame that it won't be included until 4.4.1. It's pretty important for me since I basically launch all my apps, and sometimes files, from the launch interface. Ah, oh well, at least it has been fixed, now it's just a matter of waiting, surely I can endure 'till then. Maybe I'll try your solution (deleting .kde4) if I get too impatient :P

WinterMadness
February 12th, 2010, 09:57 AM
That's why I don't use it. If all you care about is eye candy, then you're all set.

KDE is also organized far more efficiently than gnome is. if you have a ton of programs, looking for it the way the gnome panel organizes it is very very painful.

I feel that a lot of Ubuntu users havent given KDE a fair shot. Not unjustified given the fact that Kubuntu is a very bad implementation of KDE 4 (Not trying to diss the devs, but we gotta face reality...) But once you use KDE and start to really "know it", I think youll find that its not only easy on the eyes, but set up so well that finding what youre looking for takes a fraction of the time. The fact that its natively linked to kde-look.org is a major plus. I havent gone to that site in forever, despite the fact that I download stuff from there every day.

One thing that made my switch to KDE a permanent and fully exclusive one is the fact that when you click the kick off menu(start button) you can just search for the application you want, just like how its done in vista or windows 7. Thats so convenient I cant even put it into words.

They have developed scripts like that for gnome, but theyre fairly buggy and im not that great of a programmer yet to fix it.

lovinglinux
February 12th, 2010, 10:55 AM
Same thing here.
It can be solved by restarting X (Alt+E). Unfortunately, I can't afford to reinstall, yet.

I'm gonna try it again on my testing partition. Thanks.

Starlight
February 12th, 2010, 11:06 AM
KDE SC4.4 is awesome. :D The only problem with using it is, as always, the lack of integration of GTK apps. :( I remember there used to be a gtk-qt-engine that was supposed to make GTK apps use Qt styles. It was very buggy, but it seems that instead of developing it more to remove all the bugs, they decided to abandon it. :(

Techsnap
February 12th, 2010, 12:02 PM
I'm going to give it a go now. I installed a Ubuntu Command Line system, added the PPAs and started installing KDE however APT and the way things are packaged annoyed me (Why are all the KDE Packages split up?).

I'm going to install Arch now and try it that way, I won't be using Slackware to do this because I just want to try it out and I don't want to spend hours building it on Slack. I might do a review of it once it is up and running though.

lovinglinux
February 12th, 2010, 12:12 PM
KDE SC4.4 is awesome. :D The only problem with using it is, as always, the lack of integration of GTK apps. :( I remember there used to be a gtk-qt-engine that was supposed to make GTK apps use Qt styles. It was very buggy, but it seems that instead of developing it more to remove all the bugs, they decided to abandon it. :(

Seriously? So, there is no way to make GTK applications look good anymore? That's really frustrating.

Starlight
February 12th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Seriously? So, there is no way to make GTK applications look good anymore? That's really frustrating.

Well, it depends. You can use QtCurve to have GTK and Qt apps use exactly the same style. However, one of the best things about KDE's appearance is the beautiful Oxygen style. There are Oxygen "clones" for GTK, but they are far from perfect, especially after KDE SC 4.4 added animations to Oxygen. So if you use the default Oxygen, there's unfortunately no way to make sure that GTK apps don't look totally out of place. :(

bleedingħtheħdead
February 12th, 2010, 12:33 PM
KDE is also organized far more efficiently than gnome is. if you have a ton of programs, looking for it the way the gnome panel organizes it is very very painful.

I feel that a lot of Ubuntu users havent given KDE a fair shot. Not unjustified given the fact that Kubuntu is a very bad implementation of KDE 4 (Not trying to diss the devs, but we gotta face reality...) But once you use KDE and start to really "know it", I think youll find that its not only easy on the eyes, but set up so well that finding what youre looking for takes a fraction of the time. The fact that its natively linked to kde-look.org is a major plus. I havent gone to that site in forever, despite the fact that I download stuff from there every day.

One thing that made my switch to KDE a permanent and fully exclusive one is the fact that when you click the kick off menu(start button) you can just search for the application you want, just like how its done in vista or windows 7. Thats so convenient I cant even put it into words.

They have developed scripts like that for gnome, but theyre fairly buggy and im not that great of a programmer yet to fix it.

kubuntu really isnt that bad anymore now that kpackage doesnt fall to pieces every 5 seconds.

Techsnap
February 12th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Well I'm impressed, I installed Arch because the nearest mirror had KDE 4.4 packages and all I can say is, WOW. This is an awesome release of KDE, I'm so impressed, I'll be doing a review of it for sure. I like the way the system just seems so integrated and smooth. Also desktop compositing is working smoother than ever on the OPENSOURCE ATi Driver.

symon1980
February 12th, 2010, 04:13 PM
I upgraded to kde 4.4 on arch linux the day it came out...
All i can say is.... WOH... Holey Crap... Finally! Kde seems to be Complete! i don't know what other features they can really add... its rock solid..
I can See a hell of alot of Ubuntu Gnome users migrating over to Kde in the next few months.... There is No way gnome can come out with anything as Good... Gnome 3/GnomeShell is a friggin Joke.. Canonical might aswell just make KDE Default on Ubuntu and be done with it. Because sooner or later not many people will want to use gnome

Techsnap
February 12th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Seriously? So, there is no way to make GTK applications look good anymore? That's really frustrating.Does kcm-gtk work?

~sHyLoCk~
February 12th, 2010, 04:18 PM

Install some gtk-themes. Change them with gtk-chtheme. Install Qtcurve theme for a qt look. And yes AVOID GTK-QT-ENGINE if you run firefox!

lovinglinux
February 12th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Same thing here.

It seems the problem was on my system. I tried to update again, this time over the newly installed Karmic and it works.

AWESOME.

I'm going to explore it now. Any recommendation?

mavmic
February 12th, 2010, 06:44 PM
kde is great .help files need a little improvement.

lovinglinux
February 12th, 2010, 08:11 PM
WOW. I thought KDE 4.3 was great, but this is freaking awesome. The tabbed windows is exactly what I was waiting for. Combined with the Present Window plugin is everything I need to ditch Compiz. I wish Kwin had a better performance.

The new widget selector is also great, the system monitor widgets are much better now. Everything looks really good so far.

CbrPad
February 12th, 2010, 09:21 PM

Install oxygen-molecule from kde-look.org and that will sort it out, mine looks absolutely stunning now if I may say so myself ;-)

nerdy_kid
February 12th, 2010, 09:33 PM
smoothtasks will work if you compile it youself:
http://kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=101586&vote=good&tan=27296142

things going pretty well with me. have noticed:

i have to manually restart the Xserver when i first boot (shutdown restart x in KDM) or i get various scrambled crap across my screen; no clue why this happens...

the device notifier thing (which rocks when it works) has a tendancy of showing nothing at all after i mess with compositing. Have to restart plasma. The device manager widget however is very similar (not quite as good IMO) and does not have this issue.
um...the screensaver timer is not integrated with PowerDevil which is stupid...
and found a small bug with the zoom out function of plasma: the option to zoom it vanishes, but keyboard shortcuts fix that.
Nepomuk is a flop though. See http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=85779

Over all...Plasma is lightning fast, Window tabbing is amazing and window snap is also awesome :D

lovinglinux
February 12th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Install oxygen-molecule from kde-look.org and that will sort it out, mine looks absolutely stunning now if I may say so myself ;-)

I just noticed I wasn't using gtk-qt-engine before, but kcm-gtk. I also have qtcurve, gtk2-engines-qtcurve, kde-style-qtcurve and kwin-style-qtcurve. I have no idea which one is doing what, but it still looks great after the upgrade.

captaincrook
February 12th, 2010, 09:47 PM

I just experienced this last. I did an aptitude upgrade and everything went smooth until reboot(in spite of "hey I'm holding back packages"). Plasma or KDM didn't load so I looked around and plasma-desktop got removed. After mucking around with aptitude/apt-get, I learned that it had screwed dependencies and got everything working shortly after a few updates and installing of packages. The new packages nearly killed my fresh ~/.kde, but everything seems ok now.

I would strongly suggest backing up ~/.kde and keeping an eye out for the output apt gives you when you upgrade so one can avoid reinstalls.

SushiR
February 12th, 2010, 10:21 PM
Everything working gravy here. I do miss Ayatana notifications though.

Me too. (Any plans to get them back? (The new notifications suck IMO) But 4.4 rocks my Eee 901.

captaincrook
February 12th, 2010, 10:50 PM
Me too. (Any plans to get them back? (The new notifications suck IMO) But 4.4 rocks my Eee 901.

You'll want Colibri (http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php/Colibri?content=117147). There's a deb floating around (https://launchpad.net/~g-christ/+archive/ppa) but I haven't been able to get it to install... yet. I will try again after this new round of updates finishes.

Ric_NYC
February 12th, 2010, 11:02 PM
KDE 4.4 is great.

lykwydchykyn
February 12th, 2010, 11:05 PM
I'm still digging up bugs in mine, but mostly because of third-party plasmoids and my multi-monitor setup. Overall I like the new features and the redesigns.

I still have a problem (had it since Karmic) where full-screen flash and some gtk dialogs (like those in synaptic) crash plasma. I think it has to do with Daisy dock. Anyone else seeing this?

captaincrook
February 12th, 2010, 11:12 PM
You'll want Colibri (http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php/Colibri?content=117147). There's a deb floating around (https://launchpad.net/~g-christ/+archive/ppa) but I haven't been able to get it to install... yet. I will try again after this new round of updates finishes.

Heh. Did not know KDE-Look had debs today (did not last night). I'll give it a shot with those.

EDIT: Works. Must uninstall notification-daemon first. After installing Colibri, right click the system tray, and untick the "Application Notifications" box. You can then test if its working with like Pidgin or something.

Giant Speck
February 12th, 2010, 11:22 PM
Well, I upgraded today and upon starting up 4.4 for the first time, plasma-desktop segfaulted.

So I retreated back to GNOME and uninstalled KDE altogether. I'm now in the process of reinstalling it cleanly.

lykwydchykyn
February 12th, 2010, 11:28 PM
Well, I upgraded today and upon starting up 4.4 for the first time, plasma-desktop segfaulted.

So I retreated back to GNOME and uninstalled KDE altogether. I'm now in the process of reinstalling it cleanly.

I had this problem too, it came from having third-party binary plasmoids installed.

Basically, KDE 4.4 required upgrading to Qt 4.6 libraries, which would break any plasmoid compiled against Qt 4.5.

I don't know if this is your situation, but it's likely.

Giant Speck
February 12th, 2010, 11:34 PM
I had this problem too, it came from having third-party binary plasmoids installed.

Basically, KDE 4.4 required upgrading to Qt 4.6 libraries, which would break any plasmoid compiled against Qt 4.5.

I don't know if this is your situation, but it's likely.

I had a bunch of third-party plasmoids installed from repositories, such as Smooth Tasks, so yeah, I'm going to guess it was that.

Joe Ker1086
February 12th, 2010, 11:35 PM
love the netbook feature, and it looks like they improved open desktop too :)

lykwydchykyn
February 12th, 2010, 11:39 PM
I had a bunch of third-party plasmoids installed from repositories, such as Smooth Tasks, so yeah, I'm going to guess it was that.

Yep, smooth tasks and daisy dock did it to mine. If you've got samrog131's ppa enabled, those won't work anymore.

Giant Speck
February 12th, 2010, 11:43 PM
Yep, smooth tasks and daisy dock did it to mine. If you've got samrog131's ppa enabled, those won't work anymore.

:(

lykwydchykyn
February 12th, 2010, 11:50 PM
:(

I hear ya. I've gone back to compiling them myself.

The good news is that all those kde-look plasma widgets are in the official repos for Lucid, so no more ppa's to get third-party plasmoids (well, except the ones written after the Lucid freeze, I guess).

Giant Speck
February 13th, 2010, 02:43 AM
Okay, I've got KDE 4.4 back and it's working...

... all except for audio.

isaacj87
February 13th, 2010, 04:06 AM

I don't mean to state the obvious, but did you check Kmix's mixer levels? I always forget that on a clean install of KDE I always have to turn the PCM level up.

Islington
February 13th, 2010, 04:15 AM

I am with you. I have 3 machines where the audio just worked (tm)

Then there is my desktop where pulseaudio decides to harass me, and my less that inferior knowledge of how sound works in linux. I nuked pulse on my desktop, and went back to alsa, while I figure out why this is happening.

Islington
February 13th, 2010, 04:18 AM
I hear ya. I've gone back to compiling them myself.

The good news is that all those kde-look plasma widgets are in the official repos for Lucid, so no more ppa's to get third-party plasmoids (well, except the ones written after the Lucid freeze, I guess).

anyone else soo happy that the devs fixed the plasma-script-engines? RC2 was so hurty.

nerdy_kid
February 13th, 2010, 05:37 AM
anyone else soo happy that the devs fixed the plasma-script-engines? RC2 was so hurty.

yessss the gmail plasmoid once again works :) and now i have an even better place to put it in thanks to systrays support of plasmoids :D

to find one thing they didnt fix try running

kdesudo dolphin

:|

Icehuck
February 13th, 2010, 06:30 AM
yessss the gmail plasmoid once again works :) and now i have an even better place to put it in thanks to systrays support of plasmoids :D

to find one thing they didnt fix try running

kdesudo dolphin

:|

This is an issue with krunner and should be back-ported to KDE 4.4.1

Islington
February 13th, 2010, 06:36 AM

are you sure? I get the same "protocol died" stuff when I run it through the konsole.

lykwydchykyn
February 13th, 2010, 06:38 AM
are you sure? I get the same "protocol died" stuff when I run it through the konsole.

If I had to make an uninformed guess, I'd say it was a dbus issue. dolphin does similar stuff when you forward it over ssh.

Icehuck
February 13th, 2010, 06:42 AM

I'm just going by aseigo's blog.

http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2010/02/krunner-responsiveness.html

I get similar problems with the run command and I figure it is related. Am I totally misunderstanding what his blog post is about?

Islington
February 13th, 2010, 01:48 PM
I'm just going by aseigo's blog.

http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2010/02/krunner-responsiveness.html

I get similar problems with the run command and I figure it is related. Am I totally misunderstanding what his blog post is about?

possibly; the blogpost is about the stop/start jerkiness of krunner, where you start typing something and it doesn't accept input while it shows the first search of results, I find that by turning off the bookmarks runner, and the windows runner, krunner is back running smoothly.

The problem with kdesudo dolphin is that a sudo version of dolphin loads, but will refuse to list any files, (a popup in the status bar that says something like "protocol unexpectedly died")

Islington
February 13th, 2010, 01:55 PM
ksystraycmd works now!

try it in krunner:
ksystraycmd --hidden --keeprunning kate

neu5eeCh
February 13th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Quick question: How many of you are installing KDE4.4 as an alternate on Ubuntu systems and how many are upgrading pre-existing Kubuntu or KDE desktops? I'm running Ubuntu 9.10. It's running smooth and well; but KDE 4.4 looks sweet.

lovinglinux
February 13th, 2010, 02:44 PM
I'm loving KDE 4.4, but I must admit...it has lots of bugs, at least on my particular conditions. For instance:

moving a widget around the the desktop or dashboard can be very annoying, since they keep jumping back to their original location/size.
when using one activity for each virtual desktop, things get messy really easy. After a reboot my activities are scrambled very often. Sometimes they are zoomed out and cannot be zoomed in again. To fix these issues, I must go tot the Multiple Desktops settings and apply the settings again.
kwin window decorator is crashing on every reboot.
plasma is crashing more than before
when plasma crashes, the dashboard can be screwed, leaving ghost widgets running in the background. The ability to remove a widget from the "Add widget" dialog has been removed, so the only way to remove a ghost widget is to edit the file ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc and restart plasma.
after configuring "Special Application Settings" on a particular window, for example to force it to load on a particular Desktop or to be grouped by ID, the settings sometimes disappear next time you access them.

Anyone experiencing the same problems?

Quick question: How many of you are installing KDE4.4 as an alternate on Ubuntu systems and how many are upgrading pre-existing Kubuntu or KDE desktops? I'm running Ubuntu 9.10. It's running smooth and well; but KDE 4.4 looks sweet.

I'm upgrading KDE. I use kde-minimal over a command line Ubuntu installation. No more Gnome here for a few months.

Islington
February 13th, 2010, 02:58 PM
I'm loving KDE 4.4, but I must admit...it has lots of bugs, at least on my particular conditions. For instance:

[LIST-snipped]

I'm upgrading KDE. I use kde-minimal over a command line Ubuntu installation. No more Gnome here for a few months.

Have you tried wiping out your plasma config, and starting from scratch? I used to have the dashboard problem, in kde 4.3, but in 4.4 starting with the default config, I no longer have this problem. A lot of plasmacrashes are due to addons that are not ready for 4.4 especially in you installed them through repos. I absolutely hate the zooming in and out, try using the activity bar on a panel.

your kwin crash and your window rules may be related, cant really say more without more info.

nerdy_kid
February 13th, 2010, 03:03 PM

moving a widget around the the desktop or dashboard can be very annoying, since they keep jumping back to their original location/size.
when using one activity for each virtual desktop, things get messy really easy. After a reboot my activities are scrambled very often. Sometimes they are zoomed out and cannot be zoomed in again. To fix these issues, I must go tot the Multiple Desktops settings and apply the settings again.
kwin window decorator is crashing on every reboot.
plasma is crashing more than before
when plasma crashes, the dashboard can be screwed, leaving ghost widgets running in the background. The ability to remove a widget from the "Add widget" dialog has been removed, so the only way to remove a ghost widget is to edit the file ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc and restart plasma.
after configuring "Special Application Settings" on a particular window, for example to force it to load on a particular Desktop or to be grouped by ID, the settings sometimes disappear next time you access them.

I get all types of quircks unless i wipe my ~/.kde folder. The old configs really cause some wierd behavior.

yeah i seem to remember 4.3 having the same issue with dolphin-as-root, but i think they fixed that in 4.3.1. The same will hopefully apply here too.

I upgraded from KDE 4.3.4

Perfect Storm
February 13th, 2010, 03:16 PM

I started with kubuntu 9.10 default and have upgrading KDE through beta, RC and release.

lovinglinux
February 13th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Have you tried wiping out your plasma config, and starting from scratch? I used to have the dashboard problem, in kde 4.3, but in 4.4 starting with the default config, I no longer have this problem. A lot of plasmacrashes are due to addons that are not ready for 4.4 especially in you installed them through repos. I absolutely hate the zooming in and out, try using the activity bar on a panel.

your kwin crash and your window rules may be related, cant really say more without more info.

I get all types of quircks unless i wipe my ~/.kde folder. The old configs really cause some wierd behavior.

I have cleaned up all plasma* config files from ~/.kde/share/config but not the entire .kde folder. Thanks.

Giant Speck
February 13th, 2010, 07:01 PM
I don't mean to state the obvious, but did you check Kmix's mixer levels? I always forget that on a clean install of KDE I always have to turn the PCM level up.

I tried that. I even tried restarting KMix, running KMix in a terminal, and running KMix as root.

NightwishFan
February 13th, 2010, 07:04 PM
This in a terminal may or may not be more reliable:

alsamixer -c0

Giant Speck
February 13th, 2010, 07:17 PM
This in a terminal may or may not be more reliable:

alsamixer -c0

Unfortunately, it was not. :(

NightwishFan
February 13th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Perhaps this link can help you sort it out. Good luck. :)
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshooting

hanzomon4
February 13th, 2010, 07:44 PM
I started with kubuntu 9.10 default and have upgrading KDE through beta, RC and release.

Did you use the ppa, Kubuntu/beta? or are you an arch user?

Islington
February 13th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Did you use the ppa, Kubuntu/beta? or are you an arch user?
4.4 is in backports not in beta.

CbrPad
February 14th, 2010, 12:42 AM
Anyone else got a problem with User Management ?

symon1980
February 14th, 2010, 04:59 AM
I'm convinced that Most Ubuntu Gnome users feel the same way I do... They want Canonical to make KDE default... or atleast give it the attention and backing that it deserves... I feel like starting a thread about it... what do u guys think??? are you with me on this one?
The more its mentioned, the more chance they will take kde seriously. I hope Mr Shuttleworth has tried Kde 4.4 and seen how superior it is to the gnome desktop... (sorry gnome fans, my opinion)

in a perfect world, ubuntu should be Kde by default, it has a much better chance at competing against windows 7 and Macs.... and its rock solid.

Giant Speck
February 14th, 2010, 05:09 AM
I feel like starting a thread about it...

I hate to break it to you, but it's been done.

Islington
February 14th, 2010, 05:28 AM
Anyone else got a problem with User Management ?

Yes. did you already file a bug?

lykwydchykyn
February 14th, 2010, 05:41 AM
I'm convinced that Most Ubuntu Gnome users feel the same way I do... They want Canonical to make KDE default... or atleast give it the attention and backing that it deserves... I feel like starting a thread about it... what do u guys think??? are you with me on this one?
The more its mentioned, the more chance they will take kde seriously. I hope Mr Shuttleworth has tried Kde 4.4 and seen how superior it is to the gnome desktop... (sorry gnome fans, my opinion)

in a perfect world, ubuntu should be Kde by default, it has a much better chance at competing against windows 7 and Macs.... and its rock solid.

I seriously don't think the contents of this forum has much influence over what Canonical or the Ubuntu development community does.

In any case, that thread has been done numerous times, so I'll tell you how it goes:

KDE Lover: KDE is really great, I think it should be the default for Canonical.
GNOME user 1: No way, GNOME rocks!
GNOME user 2: I tried KDE once, but it was confusing and crashed on me.
GNOME user 3: KDE will never be as good as GNOME. It doesn't even have <thing that KDE has but this person couldn't locate>.

<big argument in which GNOME is accused of being outdated and hard to configure and KDE is accused of being all gloss and no substance>

symon1980
February 14th, 2010, 08:19 AM
True... I know its been suggested in the past.. But in my mind... perhaps im wacky, Nobody seems to like the direction that Gnome is headed... with all this Gnome3 GnomeShell development happening which is quite frankly a Mess, Mono (the patent bomb) is creeping into gnome by default, not to mention that Gtk is ancient as opposed to how clean and modern Kde code is built upon (qt4)
I can list Lots of reasons why it would make sense but i won't get into that, its just my opinion... but i get the feeling a very large majority of users feel the same way and migrate away from ubuntu because of the limitations of gnome, and move to distrubutions with good Kde implementations... In my eyes though, there aren't many good kde distros out there that are as user friendly as Ubuntu for new users... Kubuntu is the closest thing obviously but Kubuntu doesn't get any attention and the development in kubuntu is pretty limited at the moment....

Ahwell, maybe I am a loony but thats the way I see things. Maybe over time when Kde gets more and more popular, Ubuntu (gnome) will become more and more obsolete..... Call me a Kde fanboy if you will, but I have been a gnome user alot longer than a kde user... and since using Kde after 4.3xx I cannot concieve how anybody would think gnome is better....

again... my opinion...

CbrPad
February 14th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Yes. did you already file a bug?

It has been reported (though not by me) ...

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=226754

Pasdar
February 14th, 2010, 02:16 PM
After major issues, including my whole screen being scrambled, the k menu being scrambled, numerous errors and some of what seems to be forgotten, I downgraded myself back to 4.3 again. It could be due to other things, Im not sure. I'm going to wait until 4.4.1

nerdy_kid
February 14th, 2010, 07:21 PM
After major issues, including my whole screen being scrambled, the k menu being scrambled, numerous errors and some of what seems to be forgotten, I downgraded myself back to 4.3 again. It could be due to other things, Im not sure. I'm going to wait until 4.4.1

to anyone who has screen scrambling you must manually restart the X server before logging in, but i think another slew of updates i just got fixed it.

TheNessus
February 14th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Back in 4.3 its all pleasant and nice...

4.4 is hell, really. Had to install clean after deleting .kde from home folder. Blank K menu, Plasma crashes (segmentation fault, why?), other bugs. too weird. no thanks.

Too bad though, the improvements 4.4. offers are very awesome.

SuperSonic4
February 14th, 2010, 08:17 PM

4.4 is hell for me, really. Had to install clean after deleting .kde from home folder. Blank K menu, Plasma crashes (segmentation fault, why?), other bugs. too weird. no thanks.

Fixed.

My KDE 4.4 is running fine and has been running fine ever since the alpha versions.

TheNessus
February 14th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Fixed.

My KDE 4.4 is running fine and has been running fine ever since the alpha versions.
well, obviously. Duhh. I don't project my own experience to others'. I'm quite used to be in your position, having 4.3 and gnome running better than ever using Karmic, while everyone say Karmic is hell for them. So please.

SushiR
February 14th, 2010, 08:48 PM

4.4 is hell, really. Had to install clean after deleting .kde from home folder. Blank K menu, Plasma crashes (segmentation fault, why?), other bugs. too weird. no thanks.

Here it's the other way around. 4.3 sucked as hell, 4.4betaXX had lots of plasma crashes, but with 4.4 it runs smooth and fast - even on my Eee 901.

lykwydchykyn
February 15th, 2010, 05:29 AM
True... I know its been suggested in the past.. But in my mind... perhaps im wacky, Nobody seems to like the direction that Gnome is headed...

Two years ago nobody liked the direction KDE was headed. Even today you'll find people ranting about how much better 3.x was. People are fickle, resistant to change, and unimaginative. And of course, there are genuine reasons to complain now and then.

But give it time, and I'm sure GNOME 3 will come together. What Ubuntu will do in the meantime will be interesting to see.

Pasdar
February 15th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Why did you clean install? I just went into terminal, removed kde completely, disabled backports and reinstalled kubuntu desktop.

Is there a way to get to kde 4.3.5 now? lol... enabling backports will get 4.4 installed, thats why I ask... also compiling is not an option :p

Pasdar
February 15th, 2010, 12:59 PM
Why did you clean install? I just went into terminal, removed kde completely, disabled backports and reinstalled kubuntu desktop.

Is there a way to get to kde 4.3.5 now? lol... enabling backports will get 4.4 installed, thats why I ask... also compiling is not an option :p

I have to add though kde 4.4 is awesome, its just those problems that I experienced need to get fixed. I didn't report any bugs, because it always says I don't have useful info to report a bug... so whatever, lol.

Islington
February 15th, 2010, 02:28 PM
I have to add though kde 4.4 is awesome, its just those problems that I experienced need to get fixed. I didn't report any bugs, because it always says I don't have useful info to report a bug... so whatever, lol.

to get a decent backtrace you need atleast kdebase-runtime-dbg and kdelibs5-dbg installed. [source (https://wiki.kubuntu.org/Kubuntu/Bugs/Reporting)]

amixr
February 16th, 2010, 06:38 AM
Hi,
I've this error report when I run plasma desktop. Can you help me to understand and solve it?

Thanks

Application: Espace de travail Plasma (kdeinit4), signal: Segmentation fault
[Current thread is 1 (Thread 0xb77f7980 (LWP 1476))]

Thread 3 (Thread 0xac5ebb70 (LWP 1477)):
#0 0x009e2e8a in ?? () from /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4
#1 0x012c9cc1 in g_main_context_check () from /lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
#2 0x012ca46c in ?? () from /lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
#3 0x012ca853 in g_main_context_iteration () from /lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
#4 0x009e291f in QEventDispatcherGlib::processEvents(QFlags<QEventLoop::ProcessEventsFlag>) () from /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4
#5 0x009b5319 in QEventLoop::processEvents(QFlags<QEventLoop::ProcessEventsFlag>) () from /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4
#6 0x009b576a in QEventLoop::exec(QFlags<QEventLoop::ProcessEventsFlag>) () from /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4
#7 0x008b15a8 in QThread::exec() () from /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4
#8 0x00994fbb in ?? () from /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4
#9 0x008b432e in ?? () from /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4
#10 0x0050480e in start_thread () from /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libpthread.so.0
#11 0x00d067ee in clone () from /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6

Thread 2 (Thread 0xabdd1b70 (LWP 1478)):
#0 0x00b1f422 in __kernel_vsyscall ()
#1 0x00509142 in pthread_cond_timedwait@@GLIBC_2.3.2 () from /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libpthread.so.0
#2 0x008b520f in QWaitCondition::wait(QMutex*, unsigned long) () from /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4
#3 0x008a92bb in ?? () from /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4
#4 0x008b432e in ?? () from /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4
#5 0x0050480e in start_thread () from /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libpthread.so.0
#6 0x00d067ee in clone () from /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6

Thread 1 (Thread 0xb77f7980 (LWP 1476)):
[KCrash Handler]
#6 0x016c87f0 in Plasma::Wallpaper::setUsingRenderingCache(bool) () from /usr/lib/libplasma.so.3
#7 0x01da8579 in ?? () from /usr/lib/kde4/plasma_wallpaper_image.so
#8 0x016c8669 in Plasma::Wallpaper::restore(KConfigGroup const&) () from /usr/lib/libplasma.so.3
#9 0x015ee61c in Plasma::Applet::paint(QPainter*, QStyleOptionGraphicsItem const*, QWidget*) () from /usr/lib/libplasma.so.3
#10 0x05b9739c in ?? () from /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4
#11 0x05bb1e24 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4
#12 0x05bb4471 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4
#13 0x05bb4e43 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4
#14 0x05bb5556 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4
#15 0x05bcf97b in QGraphicsView::paintEvent(QPaintEvent*) () from /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4
#16 0x05561466 in QWidget::event(QEvent*) () from /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4
#17 0x0595cb23 in QFrame::event(QEvent*) () from /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4
#18 0x059f6da2 in QAbstractScrollArea::viewportEvent(QEvent*) () from /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4
#19 0x05bcbdfb in QGraphicsView::viewportEvent(QEvent*) () from /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4
#20 0x059f9695 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4
#21 0x009b5f9a in QCoreApplicationPrivate::sendThroughObjectEventFil ters(QObject*, QEvent*) () from /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4
#22 0x05503259 in QApplicationPrivate::notify_helper(QObject*, QEvent*) () from /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4
#23 0x05509f79 in QApplication::notify(QObject*, QEvent*) () from /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4
#24 0x0103d1fa in KApplication::notify(QObject*, QEvent*) () from /usr/lib/libkdeui.so.5
#25 0x009b6cfb in QCoreApplication::notifyInternal(QObject*, QEvent*) () from /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4
#26 0x0556a666 in QWidgetPrivate::drawWidget(QPaintDevice*, QRegion const&, QPoint const&, int, QPainter*, QWidgetBackingStore*) () from /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4
#27 0x0556b4a5 in QWidgetPrivate::paintSiblingsRecursive(QPaintDevic e*, QList<QObject*> const&, int, QRegion const&, QPoint const&, int, QPainter*, QWidgetBackingStore*) ()
from /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4
#28 0x0556a3b5 in QWidgetPrivate::drawWidget(QPaintDevice*, QRegion const&, QPoint const&, int, QPainter*, QWidgetBackingStore*) () from /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4
#29 0x05740490 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4
#30 0x0555a973 in QWidgetPrivate::syncBackingStore() () from /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4
#31 0x05587cde in ?? () from /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4
#32 0x05593346 in QApplication::x11ProcessEvent(_XEvent*) () from /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4
#33 0x055c295a in ?? () from /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4
#34 0x012c6e78 in g_main_context_dispatch () from /lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
#35 0x012ca720 in ?? () from /lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
#36 0x012ca853 in g_main_context_iteration () from /lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
#37 0x009e28e5 in QEventDispatcherGlib::processEvents(QFlags<QEventLoop::ProcessEventsFlag>) () from /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4
#38 0x055c2485 in ?? () from /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4
#39 0x009b5319 in QEventLoop::processEvents(QFlags<QEventLoop::ProcessEventsFlag>) () from /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4
#40 0x009b576a in QEventLoop::exec(QFlags<QEventLoop::ProcessEventsFlag>) () from /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4
#41 0x009b995f in QCoreApplication::exec() () from /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4
#42 0x05503317 in QApplication::exec() () from /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4
#43 0x07d0880d in kdemain () from /usr/lib/libkdeinit4_plasma-desktop.so
#44 0x0804dff7 in _start ()

TheNessus
February 16th, 2010, 06:50 AM
Hi,
I've this error report when I run plasma desktop. Can you help me to understand and solve it?

Thanks

#4 0x009e291f in QEventDispatcherGlib::processEvents(QFlags<QEventLoop::ProcessEventsFlag>) () from /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4
#5 0x009b5319 in QEventLoop::processEvents(QFlags<QEventLoop::ProcessEventsFlag>) () from /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4
#6 0x009b576a in QEventLoop::exec(QFlags<QEventLoop::ProcessEventsFlag>) () from /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4

#1 0x00509142 in pthread_cond_timedwait@@GLIBC_2.3.2 () from /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libpthread.so.0
#2 0x008b520f in QWaitCondition::wait(QMutex*, unsigned long) () from /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4

[KCrash Handler]
#6 0x016c87f0 in Plasma::Wallpaper::setUsingRenderingCache(bool) () from /usr/lib/libplasma.so.3
#8 0x016c8669 in Plasma::Wallpaper::restore(KConfigGroup const&) () from /usr/lib/libplasma.so.3
#9 0x015ee61c in Plasma::Applet::paint(QPainter*, QStyleOptionGraphicsItem const*, QWidget*) () from /usr/lib/libplasma.so.3
#15 0x05bcf97b in QGraphicsView::paintEvent(QPaintEvent*) () from /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4
#18 0x059f6da2 in QAbstractScrollArea::viewportEvent(QEvent*) () from /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4
#19 0x05bcbdfb in QGraphicsView::viewportEvent(QEvent*) () from /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4
#21 0x009b5f9a in QCoreApplicationPrivate::sendThroughObjectEventFil ters(QObject*, QEvent*) () from /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4
#22 0x05503259 in QApplicationPrivate::notify_helper(QObject*, QEvent*) () from /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4
#23 0x05509f79 in QApplication::notify(QObject*, QEvent*) () from /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4
#24 0x0103d1fa in KApplication::notify(QObject*, QEvent*) () from /usr/lib/libkdeui.so.5
#25 0x009b6cfb in QCoreApplication::notifyInternal(QObject*, QEvent*) () from /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4
#26 0x0556a666 in QWidgetPrivate::drawWidget(QPaintDevice*, QRegion const&, QPoint const&, int, QPainter*, QWidgetBackingStore*) () from /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4
#27 0x0556b4a5 in QWidgetPrivate::paintSiblingsRecursive(QPaintDevic e*, QList<QObject*> const&, int, QRegion const&, QPoint const&, int, QPainter*, QWidgetBackingStore*) ()
#28 0x0556a3b5 in QWidgetPrivate::drawWidget(QPaintDevice*, QRegion const&, QPoint const&, int, QPainter*, QWidgetBackingStore*) () from /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4
#30 0x0555a973 in QWidgetPrivate::syncBackingStore() () from /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4
#32 0x05593346 in QApplication::x11ProcessEvent(_XEvent*) () from /usr/lib/libQtGui.so.4
#37 0x009e28e5 in QEventDispatcherGlib::processEvents(QFlags<QEventLoop::ProcessEventsFlag>) () from /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4
#39 0x009b5319 in QEventLoop::processEvents(QFlags<QEventLoop::ProcessEventsFlag>) () from /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4
#40 0x009b576a in QEventLoop::exec(QFlags<QEventLoop::ProcessEventsFlag>) () from /usr/lib/libQtCore.so.4

on start-up? there's nothing that can be done currently, I'd suggest you downgrade to 4.3 at least till 4.4 becomes an update and out of the backports. Happens to me to even in a clean install. no help found on google. this is quite lame since the bug report system doesn't find enough info to report a bug, so I'm not sure if it CAN be solved...

nerdy_kid
February 16th, 2010, 03:08 PM
Hi,

Thanks

[KCrash Handler]

hate to sound like a broken record, but you did dispose of your old .kde folder?

piousp
February 16th, 2010, 03:20 PM
I'm my work box i didn't need to remove my .kde directory for 4.4 to work like a charm.
On my home box... well, i still have a segmentation fault ](*,)

Oh well :P

lovinglinux
February 17th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Do we need to enable karmic-backports in addition to adding ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports? I didn't do that and everything is fine here. As far as I understand, the ppa itself will take care of upgrading kde.

But I was helping another user who followed this tutorial (http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-Install-KDE-SC-4-4-on-Ubuntu-9-10-134546.shtml) and wants to revert the changes (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1408948). The tutorial includes a step in which the karmic-backports are enabled.

MasterNetra
February 17th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Do we need to enable karmic-backports in addition to adding ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports? I didn't do that and everything is fine here. As far as I understand, the ppa itself will take care of upgrading kde.

But I was helping another user who followed this tutorial (http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-to-Install-KDE-SC-4-4-on-Ubuntu-9-10-134546.shtml) and wants to revert the changes (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1408948). The tutorial includes a step in which the karmic-backports are enabled.

No, but you do need to do a distro upgrade before attempting to update to 4.4 otherwise a good majority of the files won't get installed and should you restart without fixing it, you won't have much of a interface to work with and shift+alt+F2 will be your new best friend...

lovinglinux
February 17th, 2010, 04:49 PM
No, but you do need to do a distro upgrade before attempting to update to 4.4 otherwise a good majority of the files won't get installed and should you restart without fixing it, you won't have much of a interface to work with and shift+alt+F2 will be your new best friend...

That's what I thought. I was wondering what to suggest to the user that wants to revert the changes. It seems he has enabled karmic-backports before installing KDE.

TheNessus
February 17th, 2010, 04:57 PM
That's what I thought. I was wondering what to suggest to the user that wants to revert the changes. It seems he has enabled karmic-backports before installing KDE.

it is said that installing plasma-desktop in command line makes the plasma desktop segmentation default on start up fixed. Didn't try it myself though, I'd like to hear if it fixes it.

MasterNetra
February 17th, 2010, 05:02 PM

If he wants to revert back to KDE 4.3.x then all I can say is a fresh install would be the easiest way. Otherwise there is no simple way of reverting back to KDE 4.3.x . If he didn't do a Distro upgrade though I suppose he could install another DE, load into it, completely remove KDE, remove the repository(ies) used to upgrade to 4.4, disable backports and reinstall KDE. He should also make sure to remove all the KDE and KDE apps folders and such otherwise config files may cause some issues.

Danny Dubya
February 17th, 2010, 05:10 PM
Meh, I really want to like KDE, but I'm disappointed in the sluggishness of the graphics with the NVIDIA driver. I experienced that slowness with KDE 4.3 and decided to use their new beta 195.xx driver because I read someone say that it improved their speed, so I tried it and was shocked that it actually worked out for me (... for once). Great. So, I figure that 4.4 would be even faster and I should upgrade, right? Not a chance -- it's not only slow, again, but far more crashy. I've lost count of how many times Dolphin and kmozillahelper (openSUSE's Firefox-KDE integration) have segfaulted or whatever. I could just go back and reinstall (or downgrade if possible)... but I can't help but feel that this has all been a waste of time that'll only get bigger if I persist.

lovinglinux
February 17th, 2010, 05:10 PM
If he wants to revert back to KDE 4.3.x then all I can say is a fresh install would be the easiest way. Otherwise there is no simple way of reverting back to KDE 4.3.x .

No, he wants to remove KDE completely, which have already been covered by another poster. I was wondering about the fact that he enabled karmic-backports before the upgrade, in which case, might have upgraded some gnome packages as well.

TheNessus
February 17th, 2010, 05:14 PM
No, he wants to remove KDE completely, which have already been covered by another poster. I was wondering about the fact that he enabled karmic-backports before the upgrade, in which case, might have upgraded some gnome packages as well.

So he should remove the backports from sources and run the command for pure gnome, which also installs normal gnome desktop instead of any upgraded or changed packages.

MasterNetra
February 17th, 2010, 05:15 PM

Oh well in that case he should just load into gnome or some other DE and completely remove KDE. He should make sure though to change his login system to gdm (or his preferred DE's version) if he is using kdm. Otherwise he will have a serious problem logging in.

MacJack
February 17th, 2010, 05:24 PM
Meh, I really want to like KDE, but I'm disappointed in the sluggishness of the graphics with the NVIDIA driver. I experienced that slowness with KDE 4.3 and decided to use their new beta 195.xx driver because I read someone say that it improved their speed, so I tried it and was shocked that it actually worked out for me (... for once). Great. So, I figure that 4.4 would be even faster and I should upgrade, right? Not a chance -- it's not only slow, again, but far more crashy. I've lost count of how many times Dolphin and kmozillahelper (openSUSE's Firefox-KDE integration) have segfaulted or whatever. I could just go back and reinstall (or downgrade if possible)... but I can't help but feel that this has all been a waste of time that'll only get bigger if I persist.

Upgrade your GPU.

This is the thing with KDE, I have good hardware so can't complain, KDE is very fast.

The release notes should include clear GPU recommendations because KDE is'nt Gnome.

Danny Dubya
February 17th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Upgrade your GPU.
It's a GeForce 9600 GSO, bought just last year. I'm not replacing it. And you make an assumption that how well KDE works with the NVIDIA driver is reliably based on some sort of linear order of GPU power, but provide no real, helpful evidence to back it up. "It works for me" obviously does not count.

lovinglinux
February 17th, 2010, 07:53 PM
So he should remove the backports from sources and run the command for pure gnome, which also installs normal gnome desktop instead of any upgraded or changed packages.

Oh well in that case he should just load into gnome or some other DE and completely remove KDE. He should make sure though to change his login system to gdm (or his preferred DE's version) if he is using kdm. Otherwise he will have a serious problem logging in.

Thanks.

nerdy_kid
February 19th, 2010, 03:41 AM
so i thought that system wide smooth scrolling would be around in 4.4. obviously its not... anyone know why?

Giant Speck
February 19th, 2010, 11:00 AM
I figured out my sound issues.

For some reason, upon login, gnome-volume-control sets the volume to mute. This seems to be true for both KDE and GNOME. When I log into GNOME, I have to turn up the volume to hear audio. When I login to KDE, however, I have to run gnome-volume-control to unmute the volume.

Is there any way of setting the volume via the command line? I'd like to create a workaround by having Ubuntu run a command upon starting up to prevent gnome-volume-control from muting the volume.

nrs
February 19th, 2010, 12:47 PM
It's a GeForce 9600 GSO, bought just last year. I'm not replacing it. And you make an assumption that how well KDE works with the NVIDIA driver is reliably based on some sort of linear order of GPU power, but provide no real, helpful evidence to back it up. "It works for me" obviously does not count.
You can't form an accurate opinion of KDE based on experiences while using Ubuntu/Kubuntu. I remember it crashing when I tried adjusting my date and time. Something which has never occurred on my 3 Arch machines. Another time Plasma just decided to crash on startup, again, not something I've experienced in Arch. Not saying you should switch or anything, but it is something to be aware of.

SuperSonic4
February 19th, 2010, 12:49 PM

For some reason, upon login, gnome-volume-control sets the volume to mute. This seems to be true for both KDE and GNOME. When I log into GNOME, I have to turn up the volume to hear audio. When I login to KDE, however, I have to run gnome-volume-control to unmute the volume.

Is there any way of setting the volume via the command line? I'd like to create a workaround by having Ubuntu run a command upon starting up to prevent gnome-volume-control from muting the volume.

KMix is the GUI version and sits in the system tray.
For the CLI I suggest alsamixer which is ncurses assuming you have alsa

You can't form an accurate opinion of KDE based on experiences while using Ubuntu/Kubuntu. I remember it crashing when I tried adjusting my date and time. Something which has never occurred on my 3 Arch machines. Another time Plasma just decided to crash on startup, again, not something I've experienced in Arch. Not saying you should switch or anything, but it is something to be aware of.

+1. I've not had any issues on arch with an nvidia 8500GT, I cannot remember other distros though

lykwydchykyn
February 19th, 2010, 05:32 PM

check out the amixer command. You might have to study on the man page a bit to formulate a working command for your card, but it should do the trick.

Danny Dubya
February 19th, 2010, 06:00 PM
I totally agree with your point about distro-specific bugs 100%, but I just thought I'd mention I was using openSUSE (which, even known for its solid KDE implementation, can't be expected to support 4.4 just after its release), not Kubuntu. Maybe I'll try Arch next... *shrug*

SushiR
February 19th, 2010, 07:10 PM
Working on KDE 4.4 for a few days now. I really enjoy it, but KRunner needs overhaul. It's crashing all the time.

symon1980
February 28th, 2010, 06:47 PM
guys check out this Gnome3/GnomeShell Mockup... it is seriously Pro

http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/New+GNOME+3+Shell+concept?content=105672

nerdy_kid
March 1st, 2010, 03:02 PM

very smooth! if they actually do a powermanager that deserves to be called a powermanager with profile support and all, i might be eyeing this instead of KDE

Islington
March 1st, 2010, 04:11 PM

I had this same problem I solved it by installing pavucontrol and unmuting through that. Then on reboot my volume stays unmuted.

La Roza
March 1st, 2010, 04:39 PM

Hahahaha

:) Anyone can do a mockup.

symon1980
March 2nd, 2010, 02:59 AM
Well Derrrr :P

But it looks great... Something like this should be implemented into a Theme for GnomeShell... Looks way wayyyyy better than the Poo Bland boring GnomeShell

cdekter
March 2nd, 2010, 03:49 AM

nVidia GT320M (using latest 195.x driver) FLYING here on Kubuntu 9.10 w. KDE 4.3.5 :D

symon1980
March 3rd, 2010, 02:26 PM
I can confirm that the Latest Kde is not sluggish at all running on an Nvidia 7800 Gtx, 4gigs Ram

BigCityCat
March 3rd, 2010, 03:43 PM

There is a fix for the kdesudo dolphin problem on Kubuntu forums. I had this problem and the fix worked.

hainen
March 8th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Upgrade your GPU.

This is the thing with KDE, I have good hardware so can't complain, KDE is very fast.

The release notes should include clear GPU recommendations because KDE is'nt Gnome.

You don't need especially good hardware if you have decent drivers. A Intel gma950 is enough, Intels drivers is o.k.

afeasfaerw23231233
April 9th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Hahahaha

:) Anyone can do a mockup.

Hey! Are you really La Roza?

themarker0
April 9th, 2010, 05:47 PM
I stopped caring about the official KDE stuff after they changed to PHPBB.

MasterNetra
April 9th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Hey! Are you really La Roza?

La Roza could be a title like Merlin. (Which despite hollywood is believed to be a title rather then a individual person.)

afeasfaerw23231233
April 9th, 2010, 06:02 PM
La Roza could be a title like Merlin. (Which despite hollywood is believed to be a title rather then a individual person.)

Sorry, it should be "LaRoza"