PDA

View Full Version : Run 3 Windows OS on 1 Linux Ubuntu OS !!

Gabtevez
February 9th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Hi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYquZ9Q-As4

This is a video show my test which Ubuntu can run Windows Xp, Windows Vista, and Windows 7 in same time !!

My computer specification :

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz

2 GB RAM

Dayofswords
February 9th, 2010, 11:39 AM
tomorrow when i have dsl i may be able to watch that video

but for now i'm on dialup

Math for loading youtube videos on dialup
(Video length * 12) + one soul for the devil

xpod
February 9th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Although i`ve never actually tried it i`ve always been curious if you could install Virtualbox within a Virtual machine itself then install another virtual machine within that and so on. ...
So, Virtual XP running on virtual W7 running on virtual Win Vista.....all running on Ubuntu.?

That would make an even better Video surely ? ;)

m4tic
February 9th, 2010, 12:39 PM
me2, and it would b cul if sum1 did it on 2gig

Nerd King
February 9th, 2010, 12:46 PM
Yep, that's virtualisation for you. It's not uncommon for me to have a couple of linux flavours and a winbox running virtually as I work.

marin123
February 9th, 2010, 12:48 PM
me2, and it would b cul if sum1 did it on 2gig

did you mean 2GHz or 2GB RAM?

gabtevez, what do you use windows for? can you play games or make music (reason)?

pwnst*r
February 9th, 2010, 01:49 PM
No offense, but I'm not sure what's so impressive about that. That you were able to do that on 2GB of RAM?

CharlesA
February 9th, 2010, 02:28 PM
Try doing that on a 1.6Ghz Atom with 1GB of RAM.

forrestcupp
February 9th, 2010, 02:40 PM
No offense, but I'm not sure what's so impressive about that. That you were able to do that on 2GB of RAM?

You don't think it's cool that we are able to run 4 OS's at once without having to reboot?

Thinking back to when I started with a Commodore 64 and 64K of RAM, that's pretty cool.

Marlonsm
February 9th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Although i`ve never actually tried it i`ve always been curious if you could install Virtualbox within a Virtual machine itself then install another virtual machine within that and so on. ...
So, Virtual XP running on virtual W7 running on virtual Win Vista.....all running on Ubuntu.?

I'll try it. But not with Windows, it'll be Intrepid inside Jaunty inside Karmic.
Not sure if my dual core with 2Gb RAM will do it, but it's worth a try.

EDIT: I tried, but somehow after installing the guest aditions the first guest was not working anymore...

pwnst*r
February 9th, 2010, 02:51 PM
You don't think it's cool that we are able to run 4 OS's at once without having to reboot?

Thinking back to when I started with a Commodore 64 and 64K of RAM, that's pretty cool.

Well sure it's cool, but it's not like this came out this week.

forrestcupp
February 9th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Well sure it's cool, but it's not like this came out this week.

True. But xpod's suggestion would make an interesting experiment.

pwnst*r
February 9th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Yes it would - but my quote had nothing to do with that.

Gabtevez
February 9th, 2010, 03:38 PM

I think in this case you will test Windows's strength instead of Ubuntu

May be I will try it next time ..

forrestcupp
February 9th, 2010, 04:25 PM
Yes it would - but my quote had nothing to do with that.

I know. I was merely pointing out that some good can come of this discussion. ;)

Frak
February 9th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Try doing that on a Toaster with 2 - Honey Wheat slices toasting at around 300F.

It doesn't work if you're wondering.

pwnst*r
February 9th, 2010, 05:12 PM
Do you nuke your poptarts?

samalex
February 9th, 2010, 05:26 PM
I use VirtualBox to run Win XP along with Ubuntu Server and a few other odd-ball operating systems. I generally don't have much need to run them all concurrently, but I have ran a few at once with no problems or lag. My laptop has a Core 2 Duo P8700 2.53 GHz processor with 4 Gigs of Ram running 64-bit Ubuntu 9.04 Desktop.

It is awesome that Ubuntu can do this, but as some pointed out it's not an uncommon feat now'days.

Take care --

Sam

Frak
February 9th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Do you nuke your poptarts?
Windows on a Microwave...

Genius!

Dayofswords
February 9th, 2010, 07:24 PM
how did you get that rainbow-ed fire like thing at the biggining, and that block thing when you open up stuff

xpod
February 9th, 2010, 10:49 PM
how did you get that rainbow-ed fire like thing at the biggining, and that block thing when you open up stuff

Those are a couple of the Animation plugins that come with Compiz (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compiz) . The "explode" effect and some brightly coloured fiery looking stuff compliments of the "burn" effect i believe.....great for setting fire to those Windows virtual machines during any moments of frustration.;)
You can gain easy access to all the Compiz settings with the compiz-config settings manager, which can of course be found in your package manager.

tgalati4
February 9th, 2010, 10:54 PM
In some countries, running 3 versions of windows on one machine is considered torture.

Of course, windows has a similar compiz effect to "explode".

It's called Blue Screen.

Dayofswords
February 10th, 2010, 12:47 AM
Those are a couple of the Animation plugins that come with Compiz (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compiz) . The "explode" effect and some brightly coloured fiery looking stuff compliments of the "burn" effect i believe.....great for setting fire to those Windows virtual machines during any moments of frustration.;)
You can gain easy access to all the Compiz settings with the compiz-config settings manager, which can of course be found in your package manager.
oh, i already have that but hadn't dug enough into it yet
thanks =)

Old_Grey_Wolf
February 10th, 2010, 01:29 AM
I have done that myself. I monitor the CPU and RAM utilization. I also monitor the CPU temperature. Sometimes the CPU temperature starts to scare me. It is normally 46 deg C but rises to 76 deg C with all those OSes running at the same time. I think I need a better cooling system.

I am going to take the next step. I am working to set up Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud (UEC) on a cluster of machines. I hope to have it running this weekend. http://www.ubuntu.com/cloud/private. With UEC you can manage a cluster of computers each running virtual machines.

pwnst*r
February 10th, 2010, 03:18 AM
In some countries, running 3 versions of windows on one machine is considered torture.

It's called Blue Screen.

Man, you're full of comedy.

kenweill
February 10th, 2010, 03:50 AM
Nice. I would love to do just that.
Though, networking features of VirtualBox kinda sucks for me.
I want the virtualize OS to directly connect to my LAN, but i can't. Can only do that in vmware workstation(though, not free).
In virtual box, virtualize OS can only connect directly to the Host. Not in my LAN.

Or maybe, I just don't know how to configure that one in Virtual Box.

pirateghost
February 10th, 2010, 04:42 AM
Nice. I would love to do just that.
Though, networking features of VirtualBox kinda sucks for me.
I want the virtualize OS to directly connect to my LAN, but i can't. Can only do that in vmware workstation(though, not free).
In virtual box, virtualize OS can only connect directly to the Host. Not in my LAN.

Or maybe, I just don't know how to configure that one in Virtual Box.

if you havent tried VBox in a few months, they added the bridging option to the menu. makes things a lot easier now

Gabtevez
February 10th, 2010, 06:12 PM

It's called Blue Screen.

haha :)

Gabtevez
February 10th, 2010, 06:17 PM
someone replied in the video page say:

No, it shows how powerful Virtual box is. You could do the same and run 3 ubuntu distros in windows.

The question is Can Windows 7 or any other Windows OS run these 3 Windows OS nowadays !?

NoaHall
February 10th, 2010, 06:22 PM

The question is Can Windows 7 or any other Windows OS run these 3 Windows OS nowadays !?

Yes.

Frak
February 11th, 2010, 12:05 AM

Yes.

Kenny_Strawn
February 11th, 2010, 12:48 AM
What you can also do is get Windows 7 Pro which already comes with Virtual PC and XP mode. If you have Vista, you can also put it in Virtual PC along with XP Mode, and then run Windows 7 in VirtualBox within Ubuntu.