PDA

View Full Version : Is IRC for grammar complaints, or for helping?

samwh
March 6th, 2006, 02:03 AM
If this is the wrong forum, please move it.

More and more I am seeing people in #ubuntu (esp. admins) complaining about users posting multiple lines of text, and such, instead of HELPING them. I was laughing about "apt-get moo", and was MUTED for spamming. I was even being very helpful to the people in the channel, and they were asking me questions, but I couldn't answer them.

I had to go register my nick so i could PM an admin ( I was unmuted) \\:D/

Sorry, just venting.

majikstreet
March 6th, 2006, 02:08 AM
#ubuntu is.... strange.. I recommend #ubuntuforums :D

but as a common curtesy, please don't post more than three lines of text... it pretty much annoys everyone.

sorry for the bad experience.

edit: it's really annoying to me about how many people are in #ubuntu.. too many people to actually get help.

Kvark
March 6th, 2006, 03:07 AM
#ubuntu is way too popular. With that many people in there it's hard to understand the help you get while people talk about several other issues too at the same time. Thats why they are so picky there, slightest extra chatter and it's even harder to follow.

#ubuntuforums and the many non english ubuntu channels are not that extreamly popular so it's easier to chat there and they don't have to be as picky as in #ubuntu.

mips
March 6th, 2006, 10:03 AM
If this is the wrong forum, please move it.

More and more I am seeing people in #ubuntu (esp. admins) complaining about users posting multiple lines of text, and such, instead of HELPING them. I was laughing about "apt-get moo", and was MUTED for spamming. I was even being very helpful to the people in the channel, and they were asking me questions, but I couldn't answer them.

I had to go register my nick so i could PM an admin ( I was unmuted) \\:D/

Sorry, just venting.

Just don't go there, simple as that...

Virogenesis
March 6th, 2006, 10:07 AM
what you have to remember is those using clients like irssi find it hard to follow multiple lines and chit chat does stop and get in the way of helping users.

nocturn
March 6th, 2006, 10:20 AM
what you have to remember is those using clients like irssi find it hard to follow multiple lines and chit chat does stop and get in the way of helping users.

True (I'm mostly logged in on Irssi over an SSH connection). But muting was too harsh, a simple 'please don't post more then 3 lines' with an explanation would have been much better.

Who's running #ubuntu anyway? Are they connected to Canonical?