PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Separate X session per monitor

R3N3G4D3
February 9th, 2010, 09:18 AM
Several searches I have done hint at using TwinView, which based on the posts in these searches also seems to be nvidia-only. I'm using an ATI card, however. I'm using a dual-monitor setup, such that one of the monitors is my HDTV. The problem is that flash has a bug in it (I don't care if Adobe claims it's a security feature, it's a bug) where it only opens full-screen mode on your left-most monitor, which happens to be my pc. Now I know an "easy" work-around is to switch the positions of my monitors, but I don't have room in my apartment to place them differently and switching them only virtually would confuse and frustrate me (I tried it before).

The default Ubuntu Desktop manager is very limited, and only allows me to span the display. The manager within ATI Catalyst Control center is even more limited (it doesn't even like when I use different resolution on each monitor). So I'm hoping to use separate X sessions for each display instead (I'm aware that I can't move windows between the monitors but that would not be as big of an issue to me). Can someone suggest how to setup a separate X session per monitor in ATI?

Thanks

mister_playboy
February 10th, 2010, 10:18 AM
I'm also interested in this, since I never move windows between the two screens...

aj7360
March 7th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Me too! How can you get separate x sessions with ATI cards?

P4man
May 11th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Did you guys get this working? I do have an nvidia card, so the option to select dual X sessions, but its buggered beyond belief. Problems with panels, no tray icon on one monitor, double applets the other screen, panels refusing to load and crash upon reboot etc make it all but unusable.

I guess for this to work properly Id need 2 users, one for each screen, but I dont know how to do that.

BTW, Im also doing this to get around problems with flash fullscreen and games spanning both desktops.

Lord.Quackstar
June 22nd, 2010, 11:10 PM
Bump as I would also be interested. I had an NVidia card for a while that did this, but now I have an old ATI card that doesn't do it. Really interested on how