PDA

View Full Version : wondering why don't ubuntu make cairo-dock as a default application

ctrlmd
February 9th, 2010, 09:08 AM
hi
im just wondering why don't ubuntu make cairo dock as a default application since it's amazing application :-k

chillicampari
February 9th, 2010, 09:12 AM
It doesn't play nice with some video cards, so maybe that's one of the reasons. Not sure.

NightwishFan
February 9th, 2010, 09:16 AM
The configuration dialog is very complicated.. I like Cairo (the code) though, and if I had to pick a dock it would be that one.

ctrlmd
February 9th, 2010, 09:20 AM
It doesn't play nice with some video cards, so maybe that's one of the reasons. Not sure.
but it had two options for the user one with no OpenGL and another one with openGl

ctrlmd
February 9th, 2010, 09:22 AM
The configuration dialog is very complicated.. I like Cairo (the code) though, and if I had to pick a dock it would be that one.
it's complicated for the first time use but after that you will find your self getting to know everything about it. and yeah i would peck it between all the dock's available on windows and linux and mac :p

chillicampari
February 9th, 2010, 09:31 AM
but it had two options for the user one with no OpenGL and another one with openGl

Yes, there are two options, but there are still rendering problems.

unknownPoster
February 9th, 2010, 09:38 AM
Back when I was still using the "big" DEs such as Gnome, Cairo always caused my computer to lock up. I assume it's the lackluster performance of the Intel graphics drivers.

matthew.ball
February 9th, 2010, 10:00 AM
Conversely, I'm wondering why Ubuntu doesn't make AWN a default dock application. /joke

I believe Ubuntu (linux?) is designed to run on as much hardware as possible, whether it be brand new or ancient, and requiring 3d-rendering is quite an ask considering.

Hetor
February 9th, 2010, 10:02 AM
"Hey guys! $appname is an amazing application! Let's make $appname default in ubuntu!"

NightwishFan
February 9th, 2010, 10:04 AM
If there would be a wide need for *application and it is of high quality and reliable development, then by all means perhaps we can talk or make a thread about it!

Redache
February 9th, 2010, 10:15 AM
They'd be more likely to go with Docky if there was going to be a default dock app, even though Docky needs compositing.

With a default Dock it'd start to look more like MacOSX though, which might not be the best thing if you're trying to offer an alternative to MacOS and Windows.

Giant Speck
February 9th, 2010, 10:18 AM
They probably don't include it because it duplicates the functionality of the panel.

arnab_das
February 9th, 2010, 10:41 AM
personally i think they dont include it in their defaults coz it would become a mac prototype then.

i think AWN is a better dock than cairo. cairo dock is definitely very nifty and light weight. but AWN is the ultimate dock. very very stable, and reliable.

ad_267
February 9th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Because the Applications/Places/System menu is one hundred times more usable than any dock.

matthew.ball
February 9th, 2010, 11:04 AM
To say that x is [insert arbitrary number] times better than y is almost entirely subjective.

Look at the definition of better than, I'm guessing it's going to be context-sensitive.

NightwishFan
February 9th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Always remember that others tend to look at things through the glass of their own opinions. Some like a dock, others may not. We can respect their opinion regardless.

fabounet
February 9th, 2010, 12:21 PM
The configuration dialog is very complicated.

=> The configuration dialog WAS [very] complicated ;-)
the 2.1.3 fixes this point amongst many others.

I think big distros like Ubuntu can't really make such "original" choices, they mainly stick to the Desktop Environment (Gnome/KDE/XFCE) and customize it a little.

After all it's very easy to install a dock and get rid of the gnome-panel.

ssj6akshat
February 9th, 2010, 01:19 PM
hi
im just wondering why don't ubuntu make cairo dock as a default application since it's amazing application :-k

because it is unnecessary and many worthy competitors like AWN,Docky Exist.

Excedio
February 9th, 2010, 01:52 PM
hi

Because not everyone likes cairo-dock. I have tried it and hate it. I like that GNOME defaults to a simple panel that does not require me to sudo app-get remove something. It's literally two clicks of the mouse to get rid of it.

Then three lines of code to get Docky.

Viva
February 9th, 2010, 03:45 PM
It requires a composite manager and many video cards don't support compositing with linux. Besides, as others have pointed out, cairo dock's configuration window is a real mess. It reminds me of the first websites I created, I used to fill the pages with a lot of links and menus just so that it looks full.

RiceMonster
February 9th, 2010, 03:48 PM
"Hey guys! $appname is an amazing application! Let's make $appname default in ubuntu!"

This.

fabounet
February 9th, 2010, 04:16 PM
again, WAS a real mess (and event is point is totally subjective) ;-)

I think it's more the job of small distros to propose such choices.
Ubuntu is made for the large majority, and this includes a lot of linux beginners; a panel is a more common choice than a dock then.

The composite is not the reason, since Ubuntu is shipped with Compiz, and activates it only if the hardware supports it.

ddarsow
February 9th, 2010, 04:18 PM
I am glad they do not. I (like many others) hate the bloat of docks and find them more cumbersome than anything. I think the main appeal they have is in the eye candy department. If you want them they are easy to add.

PuddingKnife
February 9th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Do any linux distros come with a dock be default?

fabounet
February 9th, 2010, 06:03 PM
AFAIK, PCubuntoo comes with Cairo-Dock and Elive comes with its own dock.

anoknusa
February 9th, 2010, 06:35 PM
One of the things I greatly enjoy about Ubuntu is the fact that it doesn't come packaged with a bunch of crap that new users might find clunky or unnecessary. If you want something or need to solve some particular problem, go looking for a solution. What you'll find is that there are a number of different docks for linux, all of which offer different advantages for different users. You can say the same for just about any type of app. Docky works alright with Metacity/mutter, rather than requiring Compiz as the standard, ans looks good. It's also the simplest, easier to configure than either CD or AWN. Of course, it therefore lacks some of the extra niceties. But I only know this (hell, I only know what a "dock program" is) because I've messed around enough to figure it all out. That's half the fun and, I'd argue, the point. Of course, if you don't want to mess around enough to find out these things you probably don't really need to know these things anyway and, again, some people just find it too clunky and unnecessary.

Hetor
February 9th, 2010, 06:44 PM
I am glad they do not. I (like many others) hate the bloat of docks and find them more cumbersome than anything. I think the main appeal they have is in the eye candy department. If you want them they are easy to add.

I disagree, AWN 0.4 provides pretty neat functionality.

PuddingKnife
February 9th, 2010, 07:32 PM
I disagree, AWN 0.4 provides pretty neat functionality.

Yea it does!

Everything I was able to do with 2 space-consuming panels is done just as well with my AWN.

I love it, and I certainly wouldnt protest if it was included in Ubuntu by default.

Edited to include image.

NightwishFan
February 9th, 2010, 10:45 PM
That was one of the most bizarre movies ever made... :o

standingwave
February 10th, 2010, 03:53 AM
Thank you for saying this. I've never understood the appeal of docks.

<Alt F1> is my "dock."

ad_267
February 10th, 2010, 07:04 AM
To say that x is [insert arbitrary number] times better than y is almost entirely subjective.

Look at the definition of better than, I'm guessing it's going to be context-sensitive.

Lol, you think I was serious...

Warpnow
February 10th, 2010, 07:10 AM
If they were to include a dock, it should be Docky.

phillychease
February 10th, 2010, 07:17 AM
cause some people dont like docks like me

ssj6akshat
February 10th, 2010, 09:38 AM
In the world of open source,there exists a thing called forking.

ad_267
February 10th, 2010, 11:14 AM
In the world of open source,there exists a thing called forking.

Wooh! Cairobuntu...

Or you could just install it yourself if you want a dock, it's not that hard.

docus
February 10th, 2010, 07:22 PM
I experimented with using a dock for a while. I tried AWN, Cairo and Docky. Of the three, I thought Docky was by far the best (I was using the version from the PPA).

But, in the end I realised I don't need a dock. Now I just use Gnome-do to launch apps - press <super> <space> and then just type the first letter or two of the app you want and it brings it up for you. Very fast and neat solution.

unknownPoster
February 10th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Do any linux distros come with a dock be default?

I believe DreamLinux did at one point. http://www.dreamlinux.com.br/desktopedition.html

Post Monkeh
February 10th, 2010, 08:21 PM
there are enough things to worry about on a new install without throwing in a dock that could never offer the same level of compatibility as the current panel. it's easy to get if you want it, but there'd be too much chance of something not working to include it in the default desktop.