PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Major upgrade - how hard is it?

Donny Bahama
February 9th, 2010, 08:12 AM
I'm running gOS - based on Ubuntu hardy with a nicely configured gnome with wbar & Compiz. Since hardy is getting a little long in the tooth, I've been thinking about upgrading karmic.

Is it possible to back up your entire configuration (desktop, apps, settings and all) then install karmic, then restore so that the system looks and behaves just as it did before the upgrade? If it's possible, how simple/difficult is it?

NightwishFan
February 9th, 2010, 09:54 AM
Actually, if the Ubuntu update manager is present on GoS, then you can simply "update" to a newer version. You can set Ubuntu to upgrade to normal releases from software sources. However if you do this, you will have to upgrade one release at a time until you get to Karmic.

Personally I advise you wait until 10.04. Hardy can upgrade "directly" into Lucid, which is another LTS release.

If you want to get Karmic now, and not upgrade, simply back up your home folder into a .tar.gz archive, and burn it to a DVD or extra partition/flash drive. Then install karmic, delete the files in home folder, and replace them with the files in the .tar archive. That should work, however I would wait for advice from someone who actually tried it.