PDA

View Full Version : Why would I want to run Ubuntu as a Server vs Centos?

waloshin
February 9th, 2010, 06:31 AM
Why would I want to run Ubuntu 9.10 as a single user mail server or using Centos 5.4?

But for the great ubuntuforums.org community! :)

Simon17
February 9th, 2010, 06:50 AM
I'm not certain that you would.

Icehuck
February 9th, 2010, 06:52 AM
RHEL is supported for 7 years and stable. Ubuntu server is not supported for seven years, and well not as stable(I don't find debian stable either).

Home use? Doesn't matter which one you use. I will say that my CentOS server never went down until one of my hard drives died. I can't say the same for Debian/Ubuntu.

FYI - CentOS is Red Hat Enterprise Linux without the Red Hat Logos.

Edit - Learning on CentOS translates to learning on RHEL which in turn becomes a job skill. One that is highly desired in the world of IT.

Kenny_Strawn
February 9th, 2010, 06:53 AM
Use Ubuntu, and run the following command at the shell:

sudo apt-get install apache2

You may also want to add MySQL and PHP, but there is no metapackage for either of them, so you're off manually installing all the packages that come with them (probably close to 100).

LightB
February 9th, 2010, 06:55 AM
For the lulz?

mushwars
February 9th, 2010, 07:07 AM
dont.

vim /etc/make.conf
'i'

USE="centos"
[esc] :wq

TuckLive
February 9th, 2010, 05:45 PM
I'm trying to decide between 10.04 and CentOS 6, which will both be out roughly the same time. My use will be a web/media server. Any more suggestions or thoughts?

snowpine
February 9th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Ubuntu 10.04 will have more recent software; CentOS 6 will have older software that is well-tested and known to be stable. It really depends on your needs and preferences; try both and decide for yourself. :)

juancarlospaco
February 9th, 2010, 06:06 PM
I dont like RHEL or Centos,
it just use/install/run too many unrequested services by default and
RPM dependencies is a pain to solve.

cariboo
February 9th, 2010, 06:17 PM

You may also want to add MySQL and PHP, but there is no metapackage for either of them, so you're off manually installing all the packages that come with them (probably close to 100).

Please do some research before answering a question, you can select the LAMP stack while doing a server installation, there are also many other services you can install at that time. If you don't chose to install any services when doing the install, you can later install what you want, by typing:

sudo tasksel

at the prompt.

foldingstock
February 9th, 2010, 06:20 PM
I dont like RHEL or Centos,
it just use/install/run too many unrequested services by default and
RPM dependencies is a pain to solve.

RPM dependencies are a pain? So are DEB dependencies. That is why both RHEL/CentOS and Debian/Ubuntu come with package managers.

Debian/Ubuntu has apt, RHEL/CentOS has yum. Software is no harder to install on CentOS than Ubuntu.

juancarlospaco
February 9th, 2010, 06:22 PM
lol, BTW talking with experience on both...

TuckLive
February 9th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Ubuntu 10.04 will have more recent software; CentOS 6 will have older software that is well-tested and known to be stable. It really depends on your needs and preferences; try both and decide for yourself. :)

Very helpful thanks :D. I haven't used CentOS much, but was looking at it for a future server. My main concern is backing/support. Ubuntu has Canonical for some backing while CentOS is entirely community based and well almost fell apart last year. CentOS may be more stable because it's based off RHEL, but Ubuntu seems to have better support I believe. So I think I'm gonna stick with Ubuntu.

snowpine
February 9th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Very helpful thanks :D. I haven't used CentOS much, but was looking at it for a future server. My main concern is backing/support. Ubuntu has Canonical for some backing while CentOS is entirely community based and well almost fell apart last year. CentOS may be more stable because it's based off RHEL, but Ubuntu seems to have better support I believe. So I think I'm gonna stick with Ubuntu.

By that logic, paying for RHEL may be your best option. :)

phrostbyte
February 9th, 2010, 06:43 PM
I like Ubuntu Server better. If you are more used to Ubuntu I think it's a better choice, because the file system layout and command set will be more familiar.

If you are worried about usage:

Wikipedia runs on Ubuntu Server. And Digg runs Debian. :) And in regards to jobs, you should all check out Monster/Dice, there are jobs out there specifically looking for Ubuntu Server or Debian experience. :p They are more popular then you think.

YeOK
February 9th, 2010, 06:44 PM

CentOS is not RedHat based. It is RedHat, with the copyright logo's removed and the CentOS Community providing support. ( You pay for that with RedHat )

Anyway, for a home server its a none issue, use which ever distro you have the most knowledge of.

TuckLive
February 9th, 2010, 06:47 PM
CentOS is not RedHat based. It is RedHat, with the copyright logo's removed and the CentOS Community providing support. ( You pay for that with RedHat )

Anyway, for a home server its a none issue, use which ever distro you have the most knowledge of.

Yes, I know. Sorry for bad wording.

TuckLive
February 9th, 2010, 06:50 PM
If you are worried about usage:

Wikipedia runs on Ubuntu Server. And Digg runs Debian. :) And in regards to jobs, you should all check out Monster/Dice, there are jobs out there specifically looking for Ubuntu Server or Debian experience. :p They are more popular then you think.

That's cool. I did not know that. :cool:

juancarlospaco
February 9th, 2010, 06:57 PM
I dont like the YellowDog Updater Modified, because it dont have Super Cow powers,
and WTF a Yellow Dog?

((EDIT: i know that yellow dog is a distro))

cariboo
February 9th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Yellow dog is a ppc Linux distribution.

squilookle
February 9th, 2010, 08:24 PM
i run an ubuntu server because it was ridiculously easy to set up - but i use it for development/testing.

if i were running a production server, it would be centos.

koenn
February 9th, 2010, 09:21 PM

You may also want to add MySQL and PHP,
Why would you suggest to install a web server when the OP is asking about a mail server ?