PDA

View Full Version : singing tutorials

sudoer541
February 9th, 2010, 06:22 AM
I am looking for some singing tutorials.
any youtube videos or websites out there you recommend to help me sing the right way?

cariboo
February 9th, 2010, 06:36 AM
You're joking right? Try Youtube, with the search string "how to sing"

GepettoBR
February 10th, 2010, 01:44 AM
I am looking for some singing tutorials.
any youtube videos or websites out there you recommend to help me sing the right way?

Give up. Singing correctly is about correct body posture and breathing. If you don't have a tutor that can look at your posture and breathing and tell you what you're doing wrong and how to fix it, everything else will be at best useless and at worst harmful to your throat and vocal cords.

Lots of "singers" manage to make a lot of money and gather a following without any sort of training at all, and without even knowing how to sing. Exempli grati Britney Spears, Miley Cyrus, Will.I.Am. But if you really want to learn, do it the right way and find a professor.

juancarlospaco
February 10th, 2010, 01:58 AM
sudo apt-get install performous

chucky chuckaluck
February 10th, 2010, 03:39 AM
Give up. Singing correctly is about correct body posture and breathing.

i strongly disagree.

anyway... seth riggs 'speech level singing' approach is pretty good, if you want to avoid spending a lot of money and time trying to find a voice teacher who will teach you to sing the way you'd like to. his book, "singing for the stars" comes with a pretty good exercise cd. if you can manage to ignore all the disgraceful endorsments in the book, you might find it useful. most importantly, though, is to record yourself on good equipment. the number one obstacle to singing well is in reconciling the difference between what the singer hears and what the audience hears. essentially, if you sound good to yourself, you probably sound like crap to everyone else.

GepettoBR
February 10th, 2010, 11:27 AM
i strongly disagree.

Are you postulating that a person can produce an adequate singing voice with an inadequate posture and breathing?

Grenage
February 10th, 2010, 11:32 AM
I don't think there need be postulation...

There are plenty of folks who can sing rather well, with no training (posture, breathing or otherwise). It is however a big plus.

GepettoBR
February 10th, 2010, 11:41 AM
I don't think there need be postulation...

There are plenty of folks who can sing rather well, with no training (posture, breathing or otherwise). It is however a big plus.

I challenge that assumption.

Having a "nice voice" and a sense of rhythm does not constitute singing well. Singing well involves, among other things, the ability to not strain your throat while singing - otherwise your singing career will be short indeed. There are two ways o accomplish this: you can try to get away with not singing at all and resort to post-production and voice-overs (like the aforementioned Britney Spears and Will.I.Am) or you can learn how to sing properly.

audiomick
February 10th, 2010, 12:27 PM
I tend to agree with GepettoBR. You can do yourself damage if you are singing a lot and are straining at it, and breathing is vital. There is not really any real substitute for having someone who knows what they are seeing have a look at you and correct you.

If you are only talking about "singing around the campfire", maybe it is not such an issue.

madnessjack
February 10th, 2010, 01:06 PM
What style of singing dude?