PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Not able to install using iso image

mayapower
February 9th, 2010, 04:22 AM
Hi,

I have downloaded ubuntu-9.10-desktop-i386.iso and tried installing on machine but I am keep getting this error:
Unknown keyword in configuration file:
boot:
not able to find kernel image linux

I have tried burning the image using three different softwares, using three different cd/dvd writers, on two different operating system xp/2k but all fails.

Later I also tried same for kubuntu-9.10-desktop-i386.iso but getting the same message while booting from the cd.

This is really sick.

I would appreciate is some one point me out what could be wrong.

Thanks

Prashant

Cheezespread
February 9th, 2010, 04:30 AM
Hi,

I have tried burning the image using three different softwares, using three different cd/dvd writers, on two different operating system xp/2k but all fails.

Later I also tried same for kubuntu-9.10-desktop-i386.iso but getting the same message while booting from the cd.

Probably a dumb question . Was it the same CD always ? ;-) .I asked this because , I personally use a Rewritable CD at times.

Hopesfully some one else could help you more technically. Try looking at unetbootin or usbcreator from next time around if your BIOS allows booting from USB. Takes away the pain of burning the cd.

mjwilson1313
February 9th, 2010, 04:43 AM
when you boot from the live cd run the program that checks the disk for errors. if there are none run it without installing ubuntu and see how it acts and let us know.

mayapower
February 9th, 2010, 04:50 AM
I am not even getting to the screen, where I could check the disk for errors using option.

I am completely a newbie and for me it doesn't matter either ubuntu or any other distro.
Last two days were really a painful because of all this installation mess. I wish I would have tried any other distro.

Thanks

abhishek.malhotra35
February 9th, 2010, 04:54 AM
You probably have a corrupt disk. Download a new one. Also use some other iso burning software. I used poweriso to burn iso image and it worked perfectly.

Indifferent
February 9th, 2010, 04:55 AM
Are you using the same downloaded ISO? If so, did you run an md5sum check on the image? If not and you don't want to figure it out, download a new image and see if that was the issue. (bad download) This does happen from time to time and over the years it has happened to me a few times. I use imgburn for ISO image burning, it's free, fast and easy to get started with for a newbie.

mayapower
February 9th, 2010, 05:00 AM
I have downloaded twice the iso file for ubuntu and twice for kubuntu. Once I downloaded using direct download method and once I downloaded using torrent.

I have just dropped the idea of using ubuntu/kubuntu for now.

Thanks

Prashant