PDA

View Full Version : [Java] Use Non-Static Method in a Static method

patrickaupperle
February 9th, 2010, 04:20 AM
Why aren't you allowed to call non-static methods from static methods?

Ex (From Head First Java 2nd Edition)

public class duck {
private int size;

public static void main (String[] args) {
System.out.println("Size is " + getSize()); //this line
}

public void setSize(int s) {
size = s;
}

public int getSize() {
return size;
}
}

I know it is not allowed, but why?

dwhitney67
February 9th, 2010, 04:25 AM
Non-static methods require that an object be instantiated before the method can be called. After all, the method is in essence an 'attribute' of the object. With no object, you have no method!

P.S. If you want to have some "fun", and at the same time gain some knowledge, implement a singleton class.

patrickaupperle
February 9th, 2010, 04:35 AM
Non-static methods require that an object be instantiated before the method can be called. After all, the method is in essence an 'attribute' of the object. With no object, you have no method!

P.S. If you want to have some "fun", and at the same time gain some knowledge, implement a singleton class.

Wow, I think I know what you are saying, correct me if I am wrong.
The instance variables are only created at the creation of the object, therefore, they can not be accessed except for after the object is created. Is this it?

Also, what is a singleton class?

dwhitney67
February 9th, 2010, 04:54 AM
The instance variables are only created at the creation of the object, therefore, they can not be accessed except for after the object is created. Is this it?

Yes, you are correct.

Also, what is a singleton class?
I was hoping you would take the initiative to research this... but because I am bored...

class Singleton
{
private static Singleton theInstance = new Singleton();

// ensure that only one instance of this class can be performed
// p.s. if this class has a main(), then it could instantiate more than
// one Singleton.
//
private Singleton() {}

public static Singleton instance()
{
return theInstance;
}

public void someMethod()
{
System.out.println("Hello Java!");
}
}

public class Foo
{
public static void main(String[] args)
{
Singleton.instance().someMethod();

// not permitted
//Singleton s = new Singleton();
}
}

A singleton allows for only one instance of the object to be created. It is a common design pattern.

abhishek.malhotra35
February 9th, 2010, 05:06 AM
Another example would be:
class Singleton {

private static Singleton singleton;

private Singleton() {}

public Singleton getInstance()
{
if (singleton == null)
singleton = new Singleton();
return singleton;
}

}

public class foo {

public static void main(String args[])
{
Singleton singleton1 = new Singleton();
singleton1.getInstance();
Singleton singleton2 = new Singleton();
singleton2.getInstance();
}
}

In this, singleton1 will initialize the Singleton class. When the second singleton object is made, it will check whether the variable has been initialized or not. If the variable has been initialized, then it is returned without creating another instance.

Singleton pattern is very helpful in case of pooling.

Some Penguin
February 9th, 2010, 08:41 AM

More directly, the instance variables are meaningful only in the context of a particular object. A static method has no reference to any particular instance (other than those explicitly passed in, if any). It is therefore not possible for it to access an instance variable even if objects have already been created -- because which one would it use?

It's like asking "What color is this car" when I haven't made it remotely clear which particular car I'm asking you about.

patrickaupperle
February 9th, 2010, 12:59 PM
@dwhitney67

That is really interesting. I guess I should have researched it, but I was already posting back for something else anyway. I am sure this has a point, but I don't see it (new to Java, obviously).

@abhishek.malhotra35

How does that work?
in public class foo you put

but the constructor for Singleton is private.

A quick trip to the compiler and

[patrick@arch Desktop]$ javac foo.java
foo.java:20: Singleton() has private access in Singleton
^
foo.java:22: Singleton() has private access in Singleton
Singleton singleton2 = new Singleton();
^
2 errors

Maybe you made a mistake somewhere or I copy and pasted to gedit wrong.

MadCow108
February 9th, 2010, 01:49 PM
he did that on purpose.
It shows you that you can't create a second singleton. If you try you get a compiler error. Thats the nice thing about Singletons.

The only way to access the Singleton is by using the Instance method, this assures only a single Instance can be created.

edit: read the wrong code :)
abhishek.malhotra35 code is wrong, the getInstance method needs to be static as in dwhitney's example
and the calls to new must be commented for it to compile (intended)
the getInstance method creates an instance but only once!
a second call will return the existing singleton instance.
constructor calls will fails as wished by the singleton pattern.

abisheks variant has the advantage that the singleton is never constructed if it is not needed. This is useful if your singleton is some expensive object which is only needed in case of an unlikely error.

CptPicard
February 9th, 2010, 02:08 PM
The getInstance() doesn't necessarily have to be static, as long as the variable is. I've never seen singleton implemented like that, though. However, there is a potential race-condition bug in the null-checking; it should be inside a synchronization block.

MadCow108
February 9th, 2010, 02:19 PM
The getInstance() doesn't necessarily have to be static, as long as the variable is. I've never seen singleton implemented like that, though. However, there is a potential race-condition bug in the null-checking; it should be inside a synchronization block.

and its a potential place for a double checking lock :) (beware dangerous in some languages!)

I get an error if its not static:
foo.java:21: non-static method getInstance() cannot be referenced from a static context
Singleton singleton1 = Singleton.getInstance();

CptPicard
February 9th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Oh yeah, I was reading it carelessly, you're right.

dwhitney67
February 9th, 2010, 03:25 PM
Oh yeah, I was reading it carelessly, you're right.

Ironic... we've come full circle with this thread. One cannot access a non-static method without an instance of an object. :-)

patrickaupperle
February 9th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Ok, I think I understand everything that was said. To make sure, can someone post a corrected version of abhishek.malhotra35s code?

abhishek.malhotra35
February 9th, 2010, 05:08 PM
My mistake. I apologize for that. Have been out of java coding for quite some time now :). Sorry about my previous post. Will change it.

dwhitney67
February 9th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Ok, I think I understand everything that was said. To make sure, can someone post a corrected version of abhishek.malhotra35s code?
His code should have been very similar to mine; the only difference he was demonstrating was the initialization of the static 'singleton' within the getInstance() method versus directly as I had done when I declared 'theInstance'.

He did everything correct, except for what is inside the main() function. The main() should appears as:

public static void main(String[] args)
{
Singleton s = Singleton.getInstance();

// not permitted
//Singleton oops = new Singleton();
}

nvteighen
February 9th, 2010, 05:58 PM
My singleton :)

class Singleton(object):
__SINGLETON__ = None

def __init__(self):
if Singleton.__SINGLETON__ == None:
self.a = 'a'
self.b = {}
# Whatever...
Singleton.__SINGLETON__ = 1
else:
# Ok, this is a bit crude... a custom exception would be better
raise TypeError

def main():
a = Singleton()
b = Singleton() # <- Error

if __name__ == "__main__":
main()

CptPicard
February 9th, 2010, 06:13 PM
@nvteighen, in addition to preventing multiple instantiation, a Singleton typically also provides a single global access point to the singly-existing object, so that you don't need to carry it around... a Singleton.getInstance().

nvteighen
February 9th, 2010, 09:39 PM
@nvteighen, in addition to preventing multiple instantiation, a Singleton typically also provides a single global access point to the singly-existing object, so that you don't need to carry it around... a Singleton.getInstance().

oh... I think it would be trivial to do.

EDIT: Here it is :)

class Singleton(object):
__LOCK__ = None
__SINGLETON__ = None

def __init__(self):
if Singleton.__LOCK__ == None:
self.a = 'a'
self.b = {}
# Whatever...

Singleton.__SINGLETON__ = self
Singleton.__LOCK__ = 1
else: