PDA

View Full Version : C++ Compiled file (oops)

Ravenshade
February 9th, 2010, 03:33 AM
Yeah, n00b question, probably got the answer through the analogy of a cake.

I accidentally did this through the terminal with the following command...

g++ program.cpp -o program.cpp

Guess who feels stupid.

Anyway to get the source code outta that?

------
Reason I'm asking is because I haven't found anywhere to reverse it so I'm assuming its not possible.

dwhitney67
February 9th, 2010, 03:55 AM
Yeah, n00b question, probably got the answer through the analogy of a cake.

I accidentally did this through the terminal with the following command...

g++ program.cpp -o program.cpp

Guess who feels stupid.

Anyway to get the source code outta that?

------
Reason I'm asking is because I haven't found anywhere to reverse it so I'm assuming its not possible.

I have made this same mistake before. As far as recovery of the code, you are out of luck unless your editor made a back-up of the source file.

Some editors append a tilde character to the back-up file. In other cases, if you are using vim as your editor, a swap file may exist as a hidden file in your source directory. If none of these apply, then as I said earlier, you're out of luck.

P.S. There's always the option of trying a disassembler. However, I have not used one of these in over 15 years. I know they exist, but for Linux?

Ravenshade
February 9th, 2010, 04:51 AM
Well as a work around...I re-wrote the entire program. Perhaps not word for word but it was all good practice for hard coding ^_^

dwhitney67
February 9th, 2010, 04:57 AM
Well as a work around...I re-wrote the entire program. Perhaps not word for word but it was all good practice for hard coding ^_^

That works too! It keeps the mind sharp.

MadCow108
February 9th, 2010, 10:41 AM
hehe
maybe we should file a bug report, I can't see how this behavior has any positive use when the input is a source file :)