PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu not loading

desired user name
February 9th, 2010, 03:13 AM
I'm trying to run Ubuntu off a live CD and it doesn't seem to be loading up properly. I have gotten to a screen that lets me install, run without changing hard disk settings, and 3-4 other options I've forgotten. From there I click to run without changing hard disk and I get a blank screen with a small white icon in the center. That's it. Oh, and I burned the CD at lowest speed and I did the option of checking the CD and it checked out OK.

About me: I'm as nooberific as you can get with Linux. I have never used Linux, nor have I even seen someone else use Linux. I've tried to look this up in other threads but I don't understand what the hell anyone's talking about. I'm just tired of Windows and trying to find a workable alternative.

About my system: It's an older Dell Dimension 2400 that I'm using to by my Linux guinea pig. It has a 2.6 gig Pentium 4 processor, 128 (I know) megs of ddr ram, 40 gig hard drive, and an integrated video card. Not sure exactly what kind of video card but suffice it to say it'll be junk. It currently has Windows XP but once I find a Linux distro I like I'm gonna wipe the hard drive and install Linux only.

ezappe
February 9th, 2010, 03:36 AM
I started using linux ubuntu about 2 years ago. I'm pretty sure it takes more memory to run a live cd than install the operating system. I think your problem is you do not have enough memory. 128 is very little.I have an old machine that has a 1.1ghz processor. and 512 of sdram I have xp and ubuntu 9.10 on it, duel booting. and it works fine. get more memory
ezappy hope this helps ps I have a 30 gig hd

desired user name
February 9th, 2010, 05:15 AM
I started using linux ubuntu about 2 years ago. I'm pretty sure it takes more memory to run a live cd than install the operating system. I think your problem is you do not have enough memory. 128 is very little.I have an old machine that has a 1.1ghz processor. and 512 of sdram I have xp and ubuntu 9.10 on it, duel booting. and it works fine. get more memory
ezappy hope this helps ps I have a 30 gig hd
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_much_RAM_must_you_have_to_install_Ubuntu

To install Ubuntu using the LiveCD, you must have at least 512 MB of RAM. To install Ubuntu using the alternate install CD, you need a minimum of 64 MB.
Good call. Thanks

mtdesign
February 27th, 2010, 08:00 PM
So is this topic solved? I have a Dell Dimension 2400 as well that I have working on without any problems at all, but it's not the newest Ubuntu.

sportscliche
March 22nd, 2010, 06:25 PM
I'm trying to run Ubuntu off a live CD and it doesn't seem to be loading up properly. I have gotten to a screen that lets me install, run without changing hard disk settings, and 3-4 other options I've forgotten. From there I click to run without changing hard disk and I get a blank screen with a small white icon in the center. That's it. Oh, and I burned the CD at lowest speed and I did the option of checking the CD and it checked out OK.

About my system: It's an older Dell Dimension 2400 that I'm using to by my Linux guinea pig. It has a 2.6 gig Pentium 4 processor, 128 (I know) megs of ddr ram, 40 gig hard drive, and an integrated video card. Not sure exactly what kind of video card but suffice it to say it'll be junk. It currently has Windows XP but once I find a Linux distro I like I'm gonna wipe the hard drive and install Linux only.

From ubuntu.com:

http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatisubuntu/desktopedition

At least 256 MB of RAM is required to run the alternate install CD (384MB of RAM is required to use the live CD based installer). Install requires at least 4 GB of disk space.

Another possible approach is using a 1 Gb+ USB flash drive. I posted on this in the following thread (message 14):

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1334658&page=2

I'm really curious if the 128 Mb RAM you have is sufficient for 9.10. If not, adding more is very cheap and easy!

joshob
March 22nd, 2010, 07:28 PM
I'm having somewhat of a similar problem. I have 2 partitions created with GParted. One is an NTFS with XP the other EXT3 waiting for Ubuntu. I downloaded the Netbook remix twice now, packaged the CD, boot to the CD, get the Install menu, hit the enter key and nothing happens.

I can use the up and down arrow keys to go between selections but none of the selections work. It just sits there. Two weeks trying different things now. Very frustrating. Windows, put CD in dual boot no problems. Ubuntu Linux, not so easy.