PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Full Disc Encryption

yester64
February 9th, 2010, 01:06 AM
I just discovered that Truecrypt does not offer on the fly encryption of a whole harddrive, since that is windows only (nooooooooooooo).
Now i wonder what my options are under linux if i want to encrypt the whole harddrive without reformating it.
Or am i out of luck with this issue? :???:

FuturePilot
February 9th, 2010, 01:24 AM
On Linux there is no way to do it without reformatting. You'll have to reinstall with the Alternate installer disc.

yester64
February 9th, 2010, 01:34 AM
oh wow... that means at the time you install a new linux it has to be installed at the same time?
I have to check the alternate version and see how that works. I wonder why you can't do it like on windows.

Thanks for the info.

ushills
February 9th, 2010, 10:49 AM
You can encrypt your /home and there are lots of guides to do this, this should be suitable as this will protect sensitive information. You can do this when you create a user or new user and copy your /home across to the new encrypted home and it will be encrypted.

That's what I would do and no reinstall needed.

dogdo
February 9th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Does anyone know if the official ubuntu cd will come with full disk encryption as a option soon?

mkvnmtr
February 9th, 2010, 06:20 PM
The last several releases have asked if I want to encrypt so I guess it comes with full disk encryption now.

FuturePilot
February 9th, 2010, 06:27 PM
The last several releases have asked if I want to encrypt so I guess it comes with full disk encryption now.

That will only encrypt your /home, not the whole disk.

ushills
February 9th, 2010, 06:44 PM
tgere can be a significant performance hit with full disk encryption that is not as significant with just encrypted /home and /swap. Is there a specific reason for full disk encryption.