PDA

View Full Version : Tehehehe. More help needed for my computer shopping ;)

xequence
March 6th, 2006, 12:16 AM
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0665000FS10072299&catid=10607&logon=&langid=EN

Im thinking of going and buying that computer tomorow, since the quanity seems to be going down. (37 yesterday, 26 today).

So, in tradition with all my other "what do you think about this computer" posts...

What do you think about this computer?

Seems like a great price to me. 500$ for an Athlon 64 3400+ with 512MB RAM, DVD Burner, 200GB Hard drive.

And its got an open PCI-E slot for a graphics card if I ever buy one, which wont be soon since I am already stretching my budget to get that and a monitor.

About the OS, if it has to much crap preinstalled ill probably just wipe it and install my own copy of windows and linux beside it.

hscottyh
March 6th, 2006, 12:20 AM
Looks like a good deal to me!

briancurtin
March 6th, 2006, 12:32 AM
buy this server instead: http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=04&kc=6W300&l=en&oc=sc430rs549&s=bsd
$50 cheaper, no OS installed, double the memory, blah blah

bjweeks
March 6th, 2006, 12:34 AM
buy this server instead: http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=04&kc=6W300&l=en&oc=sc430rs549&s=bsd

Why?

Way to edit your post lol

Dont the dell servers have crapy video and sound?

briancurtin
March 6th, 2006, 12:36 AM
why the **** not

i just happened to see it, and posted it.

briancurtin
March 6th, 2006, 12:38 AM
i like when people like bjweeks take every post as a dead serious recommendation.

bjweeks
March 6th, 2006, 12:40 AM
You said buy this instead not look at this. That sounded like a recommendation to me.

mstlyevil
March 6th, 2006, 12:40 AM
looks good xquence. Go for it.

briancurtin
March 6th, 2006, 12:41 AM
You said buy this instead not look at this. That sounded like a recommendation to me.

Edit; keep the personal stuff out of here please

bjweeks
March 6th, 2006, 12:41 AM
Edit; as above

dbott67
March 6th, 2006, 12:46 AM
Nice config for an inexpensive computer. Unfortunately, Dell.com (US) does not ship to Canada (nor does Dell.ca ship to US). The equivalent model on Dell.ca is much pricier in CDN dollars (don't really know why).

xequence
March 6th, 2006, 01:30 AM
buy this server instead: http://configure.us.dell.com/dellsto...0rs549 &s=bsd

As dbott said, that is dell america.

Plus the one you picked brian is an intel, and intel isnt good, and its only got a cd drive.

Plus 500$ canadian is less then 440 american.

Looks like a good deal to me!

looks good xquence. Go for it.

Thats what I thought =) I just wanted more opinions because I asked a friend and he said not to go for it because he doesent like HP, and it had integrated video. While I dont know alot about HP, besides the fact I like them more then dell because HP uses AMD also, I do know I dont need a good graphics card as I dont plan to play the latest games, nor could I afford a graphics card.

mstlyevil
March 6th, 2006, 01:33 AM
As dbott said, that is dell america.

Plus the one you picked brian is an intel, and intel isnt good, and its only got a cd drive.

Plus 500$ canadian is less then 440 american.

Thats what I thought =) I just wanted more opinions because I asked a friend and he said not to go for it because he doesent like HP, and it had integrated video. While I dont know alot about HP, besides the fact I like them more then dell because HP uses AMD also, I do know I dont need a good graphics card as I dont plan to play the latest games, nor could I afford a graphics card.

The best part about it is you can always add a graphics card if you need to and you could always add more memory later. I noticed it was refurbished. How good of a warranty are they offering you? If it is not at least 90 days do not buy it.

Bandit
March 6th, 2006, 01:34 AM
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0665000FS10072299&catid=10607&logon=&langid=EN

Im thinking of going and buying that computer tomorow, since the quanity seems to be going down. (37 yesterday, 26 today).

So, in tradition with all my other "what do you think about this computer" posts...

What do you think about this computer?

Seems like a great price to me. 500$ for an Athlon 64 3400+ with 512MB RAM, DVD Burner, 200GB Hard drive.

And its got an open PCI-E slot for a graphics card if I ever buy one, which wont be soon since I am already stretching my budget to get that and a monitor.

About the OS, if it has to much crap preinstalled ill probably just wipe it and install my own copy of windows and linux beside it.

I would drive down to the local walmart. They have had simular PCs at about the same price and cheaper. HP also...

mstlyevil
March 6th, 2006, 01:35 AM
I would drive down to the local walmart. They have had simular PCs at about the same price and cheaper. HP also...

He is in Canada. Those Wal-Mart pcs are quite a bit higher there.

majikstreet
March 6th, 2006, 01:45 AM
:D have fun with your new computer :)

Iandefor
March 6th, 2006, 01:51 AM
I would drive down to the local walmart. They have had simular PCs at about the same price and cheaper. HP also... BACK TO YOUR SUPERSTORE OF DOOM, WAL-MART-HOCKING DEMON! :-D

Seriously, though, that computer looks suspiciously good for the price.
And I'd want a longer warranty for a prebuilt. And it's butt-ugly. Didn't HP know that beige went out in '99?

I notice it's refurbished. That increases it's likelihood of failure, imho.

So there's my two cents.

Oh, and seriously, DON'T buy from Wal-Mart. Not ever.

mstlyevil
March 6th, 2006, 02:02 AM
BACK TO YOUR SUPERSTORE OF DOOM, WAL-MART-HOCKING DEMON! :-D

Seriously, though, that computer looks suspiciously good for the price.
And I'd want a longer warranty for a prebuilt. And it's butt-ugly. Didn't HP know that beige went out in '99?

I notice it's refurbished. That increases it's likelihood of failure, imho.

So there's my two cents.

Oh, and seriously, DON'T buy from Wal-Mart. Not ever.

It has a 90 day warranty so if it will fail, it will likely happen in that 90 days. The specs are great for that price range. It would be at least double the price brand new for those specs.

Iandefor
March 6th, 2006, 02:03 AM
It has a 90 day warranty so if it will fail, it will likely happen in that 90 days. The specs are great for that price range. It would be at least double the price brand new for those specs. I dunno. It just seems too good to be legit, or without some horrible little catch.

Stew2
March 6th, 2006, 02:17 AM
Looks like a good deal to me. I dont even know if you could build one with those specs cheaper than that:-k . The onboard video is a serious crippler, but you could always save up for an inexpensive video card and get one later. It uses your system ram, and more processor power than a dedicated video card would. Getting even a cheap card later would boost system speed substantially in anything requiring 3d and open gl graphics. Does sound like a great base system though. Cant go too far wrong! :)

briancurtin
March 6th, 2006, 02:25 AM
intel isnt good
hahaha

Way to edit your post lol
about .07 seconds after i posted it.

mstlyevil
March 6th, 2006, 02:48 AM
I dunno. It just seems too good to be legit, or without some horrible little catch.

It is quite common for retailers to sell refurbished PC's. Newegg.com sells them and I have even seen them at Best Buy and Wal-Mart. They definately can't sell them for any where near close to retail price but they do have to get rid of them. Legit companies offer 90 day warranties with refurbished PC's as this company does so he should be ok to buy it.

Virogenesis
March 6th, 2006, 03:10 AM
I'd build it myself atleast you know whats in there.
Thats just my opion but it is quite good spec for the price but still not convince.
I hate companies that use different psu for instance are the parts changable if they go wrong?

xequence
March 6th, 2006, 03:35 AM
I noticed it was refurbished. How good of a warranty are they offering you? If it is not at least 90 days do not buy it.

It is 90 days. I dont know how good of a quality it is, but I do know I can get a considerably better computer refurbished.

:D have fun with your new computer :)

Thank you very much (If I get it) =) I am really excited to use linux again.

And it's butt-ugly.

I accually like the look. But its not beige, it looks silver to me...

ooks like a good deal to me. I dont even know if you could build one with those specs cheaper than that . The onboard video is a serious crippler, but you could always save up for an inexpensive video card and get one later. It uses your system ram, and more processor power than a dedicated video card would. Getting even a cheap card later would boost system speed substantially in anything requiring 3d and open gl graphics. Does sound like a great base system though. Cant go too far wrong!

Exactly what I thought :)

hahaha

hahahaha

are the parts changable if they go wrong?

I dont know, but I would assume. Its HP, not packard bell :)

I'd build it myself atleast you know whats in there.

Everyone tells me that but I have no idea how to.

Everyone tells me again that it is uber easy, but they are the same ones that tell people that compiling a kernel and configuring X.org with vi is easy.

mstlyevil
March 6th, 2006, 03:41 AM
It is super easy to build one yet I don't know how to compile a kernel. I am iffy on xorg but I know enough on how not to break it. There is nothing wrong with buying one if you are not comfortable with assembling one yourself. Like I said earlier, go for it. And yes all the parts are replaceable BTW.

Iandefor
March 6th, 2006, 03:44 AM
Everyone tells me that but I have no idea how to.

Everyone tells me again that it is uber easy, but they are the same ones that tell people that compiling a kernel and configuring X.org with vi is easy. Grrr... it ain't that hard, just give it a try! It really isn't hard. I think the most complex part is deciding your hardware (And even then, it's not hard). After that, everything practically snaps into place like a set of Legos. Just give it a go next time you need a computer, alright?

briancurtin
March 6th, 2006, 04:15 AM
hahahaha
hahaha

xequence
March 6th, 2006, 04:17 AM
It really isn't hard.

How do I know what parts go together? How do I know what chipsets are good (heck, I dont even know what a chipset is, I can just assume it is the layout of the stuff on the motherboard), how do I know what graphics card goes with what chipset, I could go on forever but I dont feel like it.

I would even be a little scared adding a new hard drive.

The only thing I would be semi-comfortable with would be to add new RAM.

And yes all the parts are replaceable BTW.

Good :D

Like I said earlier, go for it

I am always hesitant about doing anything. Ill think it over, PM someone about it, think more, they reply, ill think about the reply, ill post it on a forum, ill think it over more, and then possibly buy it.

Infact I have been planning to buy a computer since the start of the summer. I didnt have much money, but I hoped to get a super cheap dell.

Iandefor
March 6th, 2006, 04:39 AM
How do I know what parts go together? How do I know what chipsets are good (heck, I dont even know what a chipset is, I can just assume it is the layout of the stuff on the motherboard), how do I know what graphics card goes with what chipset, I could go on forever but I dont feel like it.

I would even be a little scared adding a new hard drive.

The only thing I would be semi-comfortable with would be to add new RAM.
Then learn about building computers. Research. It's such a useful skill.

xequence
March 6th, 2006, 04:44 AM
Then learn about building computers. Research. It's such a useful skill.

What if I dont have all the time to learn it all? Or the will? I would rather... Listen to music or something =P

fuscia
March 6th, 2006, 05:01 AM
What if I dont have all the time to learn it all? Or the will? I would rather... Listen to music or something =P

che is rolling over in his grave.

Iandefor
March 6th, 2006, 05:24 AM
What if I dont have all the time to learn it all? Or the will? I would rather... Listen to music or something =P For one, you probably have more free time than I do. From waking (~7:00) until 4:00 in the afternoon on weekdays, I have about 45 minutes of free time, total. Then I have to wait 2-3 hours before I can go anywhere or do anything (don't ask...). I volunteer on Saturdays to a local museum. Time isn't an issue. It takes maybe 2 hours to read up on what you need to know to build a computer, and then a further hour (If you're slow) to get the damn thing built. And if you don't have the will to build a computer, then say so, rather than make up lame excuses.

fuscia
March 6th, 2006, 05:29 AM
And if you don't have the will to build a computer, then say so, rather than make up lame excuses.

yeah, xequence, have the courage to admit you'd rather do something else.

Bandit
March 6th, 2006, 05:30 AM
He is in Canada. Those Wal-Mart pcs are quite a bit higher there.
I wasnt sure were exactly he lived in Canada. I thought if he was just across the river or within a hour drive it might be a kewl idea :)

mstlyevil
March 6th, 2006, 05:34 AM
I am waiting for the new Dell Super PC with built in virtual Girlfriend to come out myself. \\:D/ :twisted: :shock:

Virogenesis
March 6th, 2006, 09:25 AM
Building a comp is easy as my old man adds parts to his comp all the time the hardest part is using IDEs drives and not having ribbons that are colour coded.

All you have to remember is AMD do not use DDR2 yet.
Not to get a slot 754 motherboard (They don't support dual channel ram) and they are out dated.

If you go for AMD get a slot 939 and look for a venice core athlon.
Mobile chips can be used they usually run cooler but you do need to becareful when fit the heat sink as they are thinner making them more prone to cracking if you're not careful.

Avoid Rambus its too pricey.

Nvidia do a range of geforce cards... GT, GS... and some more aswell I believe the difference between the GT and the GS is the amount of pipes they have.

Ram you have the old aging pc2100 stay away from his as its slower perfomance and very pricey compared to pc3200 which is usually known to be quite cheap.

Fans.... go for bigger as they do less RPM's which makes them more quiet.

Go for pioneer or plextor for dvd burners both offer very good firmware upgrades and warrenty both are also leaders of the industry.
Pioneer use nec parts if I remember correctly.

Stay away from pcchips for mobos, asus are overrated imo, I currently have a Elitegroup board which isn't too bad.

Harddrives Maxtor seem to format better than western digital like you get more space with maxtor.
Seagate offers like 5yrs warrenty compared to 3yrs which both western digital and maxtor offer.

Cpus can only go in one way.

Don't go fan crazy like some do they tend to forget that your case can't be cooler than room temp.

Not much to research really the hardest part will be choosing a mobo as so many exist.

Get yourself a cheap soundblaster live as most onboard cards don't offer HW mixing.

ndajee
March 6th, 2006, 09:32 AM
Help. !! I am dual booting with XP and on the Ubuntu side I need to run Groupwise and the client, not web based. I used alien to convert from .rpm to .deb, with no errors, I installed groupwise with no errors, but when I try to run the groupwise executable, nothing happens, can someone help please?

Teroedni
March 6th, 2006, 09:38 AM
Whatever you do
Dont buy a dell!!!!!!

and if you wanna build you a computer

Go for nvidia in both Motherboard and graphics card
That will save you alot of pain:)

bjweeks
March 6th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Help. !! I am dual booting with XP and on the Ubuntu side I need to run Groupwise and the client, not web based. I used alien to convert from .rpm to .deb, with no errors, I installed groupwise with no errors, but when I try to run the groupwise executable, nothing happens, can someone help please?

Wrong thread!

xequence
March 6th, 2006, 01:28 PM
For one, you probably have more free time than I do. From waking (~7:00) until 4:00 in the afternoon on weekdays, I have about 45 minutes of free time, total. Then I have to wait 2-3 hours before I can go anywhere or do anything (don't ask...). I volunteer on Saturdays to a local museum. Time isn't an issue. It takes maybe 2 hours to read up on what you need to know to build a computer, and then a further hour (If you're slow) to get the damn thing built. And if you don't have the will to build a computer, then say so, rather than make up lame excuses.

Ok. I have the time. I could.

But you know that time I have? I have other stuff I would rather do.

So me not learning about building a computer makes it too hard, which is why I am buying one.

Geeez, do you have to be so negative and mean? O_o

majikstreet
March 6th, 2006, 10:30 PM
Whatever you do
Dont buy a dell!!!!!!

and if you wanna build you a computer

Go for nvidia in both Motherboard and graphics card
That will save you alot of pain:)
thanks tero. I forgot to mention that.

DO NOT BUY A DELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

phew. just had to get that off my chest.

I have a graphics card that probably is never going to work all because I have a ******* piece of **** dell!

Don't buy a dell... "Dude, you're getting a piece of ****!"

Master Shake
March 6th, 2006, 10:33 PM
I have a Dell, and have never had any problems with it whatsoever...

To each thier own.

WildTangent
March 7th, 2006, 03:03 AM
Ok. I have the time. I could.

But you know that time I have? I have other stuff I would rather do.

So me not learning about building a computer makes it too hard, which is why I am buying one.

Geeez, do you have to be so negative and mean? O_o
He's not being mean, he's trying to help you save money, and maybe have some fun at the same time.

-Wild

xequence
March 7th, 2006, 03:10 AM
He's not being mean, he's trying to help you save money, and maybe have some fun at the same time.

-Wild

Heh, it just seems very negative and stuff...

Like "I know how to do it, you should to".

thanks tero. I forgot to mention that.

DO NOT BUY A DELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

phew. just had to get that off my chest.

I have a graphics card that probably is never going to work all because I have a ******* piece of **** dell!

Don't buy a dell... "Dude, you're getting a piece of ****!"

Ok, I wont =)

erikpiper
March 7th, 2006, 03:49 AM
Seriously. Building a computer is EASY. Things only go in one way..
But if you don't want to, thats your choice.

Just dont get a dell or a gateway! Even Emachines are better!
(My experience)

majikstreet
March 7th, 2006, 10:17 PM
I have a Dell, and have never had any problems with it whatsoever...

To each thier own.
I gather you haven't called them yet..

also, I guess I meant "low end dell"... I have a low end dell and have had issues with it.. including my little graphics card problem..

xequence
March 7th, 2006, 10:21 PM
Wow.

Beans: 539

Beans: 540

:O

Nevermind, you got 540 now, like me =O

majikstreet
March 7th, 2006, 10:32 PM
i...will....beat....you..

xequence
March 7th, 2006, 10:34 PM
Yes, and very easily :P

I only post in the places where the beans count once a week, or once every two weeks.

But if community chat posts counted, like before, id have more then you =P

Bandit
March 8th, 2006, 12:10 AM
Build it my man..
Build your PC. Its so easy..
99% if the plugs are idoit proof. And it noramally only takes about 15 minutes to through one together.
All you need is a philips screw driver and a static strap.

- CPU will only fit one way. Match the dots up on the corners.
- RAM will only fir one way. DDR-DRAM has a offset slot.
- On the IDE ribbon cables. Red wire always goes to pin one.
- Power plugs are D shaped so they only fit one way.
- Dont forget your silicon paste between the heatsink and cpu.
- AGP, PCI, PCI-X expansion card. If you fit a AGP in a PCI you should have not used the sledge hammer.
- Power supply plugs, they only fit in one way...

Unless I forgot something thats pretty much it...
If your paranoid about picking out the correct parts, everyone here can help you screen everything before you purchase..

Cheers,
Joey

WildTangent
March 8th, 2006, 12:21 AM
- Dont forget your silicon paste between the heatsink and cpu.

Just about all boxed coolers (included those that come with CPUs) already have thermal interface materal applied to them, but scraping it off and using some Arctic Silver 5 will never go amiss ;)

-Wild

Bandit
March 8th, 2006, 12:24 AM
Just about all boxed coolers (included those that come with CPUs) already have thermal interface materal applied to them, but scraping it off and using some Arctic Silver 5 will never go amiss ;)

-Wild
You know i have never trusted that pre-applied stuff.. :)

mstlyevil
March 8th, 2006, 12:28 AM
You know i have never trusted that pre-applied stuff.. :)

The pre applied goop has worked very well for my Athlon 64 3200. I have it over clocked @ 2.2 GHZ and I have no heat or stability issues whatsoever.

Bandit
March 8th, 2006, 12:31 AM
The pre applied goop has worked very well for my Athlon 64 3200. I have it over clocked @ 2.2 GHZ and I have no heat or stability issues whatsoever.
I am just very paranoid when it comes to my own stuff.. The pre applied may be bettter then what I use. Of course I always try to go with AS5. I am just crazy tho...

mstlyevil
March 8th, 2006, 12:37 AM
I am just very paranoid when it comes to my own stuff.. The pre applied may be bettter then what I use. Of course I always try to go with AS5. I am just crazy tho...

It may be overkill but there is nothing wrong with using what you trust for peace of mind. I do that sometimes myself on other things.

xequence
March 8th, 2006, 12:43 AM
If your paranoid about picking out the correct parts, everyone here can help you screen everything before you purchase..

I am paranoid about the right parts.

But nomatter. I am about to buy the HP one at futureshop. I am happy with it, just extremly nervous to accually buy it, as I am nervous to do anything that costs 500$.

Virogenesis
March 8th, 2006, 01:22 AM
I am paranoid about the right parts.

Four words

Build it yourself then

Virogenesis
March 8th, 2006, 01:23 AM
Anothing thing watch out for that german liquid metal compound that **** can harm copper heatsinks big time if you buy the wrong stuff.

xequence
March 8th, 2006, 01:55 AM
Four words

Build it yourself then

Thats why I am not building it myself!

How do I know what parts work with what parts, how do I know any of that? I dont :P

bored2k
March 8th, 2006, 02:03 AM
Thats why I am not building it myself!

How do I know what parts work with what parts, how do I know any of that? I dont :P
Unless you were to get help from someone (and I mean someone who'd stand next to you and say "No bro, that's not right.") and you have never built a computer, I wouldn't recommended it either. Your parents might go berserk on you if you make them buy hardware that won't work.

xequence
March 8th, 2006, 02:12 AM
Unless you were to get help from someone (and I mean someone who'd stand next to you and say "No bro, that's not right.") and you have never built a computer, I wouldn't recommended it either.

Finally! Someone who just doesent assume anyone can build a computer just because they can =D

Your parents might go berserk on you if you make them buy hardware that won't work.

My parents arnt buying it, I am buying it all with the money I have saved up for along time (allowance, christmas and birthday).

bored2k
March 8th, 2006, 02:24 AM
My parents arnt buying it, I am buying it all with the money I have saved up for along time (allowance, christmas and birthday).Well then, you'd hate yourself to death if you were to spend your money on useless hardware. I know I would ;).

xequence
March 8th, 2006, 02:52 AM
Well then, you'd hate yourself to death if you were to spend your money on useless hardware. I know I would ;).

Yep.

Ok... I am buying the computer, I am at the futureshop site, but I dont know what, but something is holding me back from buying it. I dont know what, I really want the computer but I am just really bad at spending money it took me so long to get.

bored2k
March 8th, 2006, 02:58 AM
Yep.

Ok... I am buying the computer, I am at the futureshop site, but I dont know what, but something is holding me back from buying it. I dont know what, I really want the computer but I am just really bad at spending money it took me so long to get.
Is there a holiday close, where they'd have discounts? Do you absolutely need it in the now? The more you wait, the arguably better box you get (if they happen to ship new ones any time soon, the old ones might get cheaper). And for the love of what's healthy, change your forum password after using it on such a public box! You don't know what employer is key-logging!

xequence
March 8th, 2006, 03:23 AM
Is there a holiday close, where they'd have discounts?

I think easter is sometime close. But then again oddly I forget when easter is o_O

Do you absolutely need it in the now? The more you wait, the arguably better box you get (if they happen to ship new ones any time soon, the old ones might get cheaper).

I thought of that, but I also thought this is the best price ive seen in along time. And the quanity is going down at a considerable rate. So, its now or never, as I doubt any will be left by tommorow.

And for the love of what's healthy, change your forum password after using it on such a public box! You don't know what employer is key-logging!

Oh, no, what I meant was I am on my computer at home with another window open (no, window, not tab, im on my parents computer where they INSIST on using IE -.-) at the futureshop site. The computer isnt in my local futureshop so they have to ship it to me (which I am happy is free :D).

bored2k
March 8th, 2006, 03:44 AM
I think easter is sometime close. But then again oddly I forget when easter is o_O Last week of march.

I thought of that, but I also thought this is the best price ive seen in along time. And the quanity is going down at a considerable rate. So, its now or never, as I doubt any will be left by tommorow.Well, if you're sure about it being the lowest price you've seen, be a man of action and go ahead before they're out of stock. Nothing will happen if you just stare at the monitor, so you're better off buying it if you're so sure about the price and quality (based on how I guess you already studied the market).

Oh, no, what I meant was I am on my computer at home with another window open (no, window, not tab, im on my parents computer where they INSIST on using IE -.-) at the futureshop site. The computer isnt in my local futureshop so they have to ship it to me (which I am happy is free :D).
*Phew*. I once logged onto my hotmail account on a Mac shop. I still get goosebumps at night. A gigantic acqua-themed key smacking me back and forth. I want my mom.

WildTangent
March 8th, 2006, 03:54 AM
My stock speed A64 3000 runs at 50 degrees....idle using the pre-applied goop :( reaches 60 when gaming...something must be wrong

-Wild

WildTangent
March 8th, 2006, 03:58 AM
Finally! Someone who just doesent assume anyone can build a computer just because they can =D

My parents arnt buying it, I am buying it all with the money I have saved up for along time (allowance, christmas and birthday).
The act of building the PC is dead simple, choosing the parts takes some finesse, but you will get it with a little research.

-Wild

Virogenesis
March 8th, 2006, 03:58 AM
Well you could ask the forum to help you out price up a system and if you're worried about installing the parts yourself pop into a local computer shop ask them how much it would cost for them to build it.
Shouldn't be much if you ask them to do it without a OS.
With a custom set up you'll be better off with linux as you'll be able to get hw mixing sorted alot of onboard cards don't offer hw mixing as you'll find out soon enough and opening up your case will void what ever warrenty you have on it.

xequence
March 8th, 2006, 04:02 AM
My stock speed A64 3000 runs at 50 degrees....idle using the pre-applied goop :( reaches 60 when gaming...something must be wrong

-Wild

My current P3 Celeron runs at 28 celcius, 35 max.

Well, if you're sure about it being the lowest price you've seen,

Absolute best price ive seen yet.

be a man of action and go ahead before they're out of stock. Nothing will happen if you just stare at the monitor, so you're better off buying it if you're so sure about the price and quality

I am SO EXTREMLY bad at that... I will think stuff over and over again.

But my mom is entering her credit card details as we speak. Im gonna do it, im really gonna do it...

(based on how I guess you already studied the market).

Since the beginning of the summer ive been planning to get one and studying the market.

Ok... No going back now! Ive ordered it. It is gonna be shipped soon. I paid 575$ (with tax). Im so scared, yet relieved I finally did it. (You all gotta understand, spending that ammount of money is a really big thing for me, so I want to spend it right).

WildTangent
March 8th, 2006, 04:05 AM
Ok... No going back now! Ive ordered it. It is gonna be shipped soon. I paid 575$ (with tax). Im so scared, yet relieved I finally did it. (You all gotta understand, spending that ammount of money is a really big thing for me, so I want to spend it right).
/me claps :D About damn time man...

/me thinks about all he's put into his computer... almost $2000 CAD now :S

-Wild

Bandit
March 8th, 2006, 04:06 AM

-Wild
Mine runs 29c (82Farenheit) on idle and 40 fully loaded compiling something that takes longer then 15 minutes.
See I told ya's I didnt trust that pre-applied stuff :D

Bandit
March 8th, 2006, 04:07 AM
Yea,, At least you got it...

xequence
March 8th, 2006, 04:11 AM
/me claps

I just cant believe I spent so much money.

About damn time man...

Yep. I am always so good thinking about doing something, but when it comes time to accually do it I am bad.

Though that came in handy when I wanted to buy a PDA. Got so indecisive I just didnt do it... But that was good as I dont have much of a use for a PDA at the moment =P

/me thinks about all he's put into his computer... almost $2000 CAD now :S

I wont be spending that much for along time now ;P Not till I have a job.

Yea,, At least you got it...

Yep. I can just guess something unexpected will happen though. Dont know what, but I just have a funny feeling.

Bandit
March 8th, 2006, 04:16 AM
I just cant believe I spent so much money.
If it makes you feel any better. When I was in junior high, I spent $800 USD on 16MB of RAM to go into my AMD 486DX 66 system. RAM was very salty back then..

Iandefor
March 8th, 2006, 04:21 AM
I'm not assuming everyone can build a computer simply because I can. I'm assuming you're intelligent enough to perform what really is a simple task. The worst part, after getting your system configured, is plugging things into the motherboard, and, even then, it's a simple matter of looking at the labels above things on the motherboard (which should solve any uncertainty you might have) and double-checking the motherboard's documentation (which is no more difficult to read than a man page) if you're not sure. But if you're really that trepidatious about building a computer, take comfort in the fact that nobody can force you to do it :-D.

Let's hope she works well, eh?

WildTangent
March 8th, 2006, 04:35 AM
Yep. I can just guess something unexpected will happen though. Dont know what, but I just have a funny feeling.
Does it come with a keyboard, monitor and mouse? :-P

-Wild

bored2k
March 8th, 2006, 04:40 AM
I'm not assuming everyone can build a computer simply because I can. I'm assuming you're intelligent enough to perform what really is a simple task. The worst part, after getting your system configured, is plugging things into the motherboard, and, even then, it's a simple matter of looking at the labels above things on the motherboard (which should solve any uncertainty you might have) and double-checking the motherboard's documentation (which is no more difficult to read than a man page) if you're not sure. But if you're really that trepidatious about building a computer, take comfort in the fact that nobody can force you to do it :-D.Although simple to you (and a few of us), plugging things the wrong way can lead to bad, bad results. If someone's not sure of himself, it's best to just get a stock one or go to a professional.

WildTangent
March 8th, 2006, 04:50 AM
Although simple to you (and a few of us), plugging things the wrong way can lead to bad, bad results. If someone's not sure of himself, it's best to just get a stock one or go to a professional.
With the exception of PS/2 ports, and some motherboard pin headers, its near impossible to plug something in wrong, and even if you do, it won't harm the parts, the worst that will happen is it won't turn on until you make it right ;)

-Wild

mstlyevil
March 8th, 2006, 06:20 AM
My stock speed A64 3000 runs at 50 degrees....idle using the pre-applied goop reaches 60 when gaming...something must be wrong

-Wild

It probally helps that I have a Thermaltake Saprano case with 2 120 mm fans. The case is every bit as important as the CPU fan in keeping the CPU cool. I used to use cheap cases but I had too many cooling issues with some of them. You could always replace the CPU fan with something a little more turbo charged if you feel the CPU is running a little too warm for your liking.

Bandit
March 8th, 2006, 06:50 AM
Here is my PC. Mine runs very cool also. The Coolermaster Centurian case I have has a wire mesh style front bezzle letting much air flow through.. Keeping my CPU at 29c on ilde and 40 on full load after 15minutes or more of 100% CPU usage.

http://www.geocities.com/bigbandit2004/PC-Inside.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/bigbandit2004/PC-Case.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/bigbandit2004/PC-Top.jpg

Cheers,
Joey

xequence
March 8th, 2006, 01:14 PM
Does it come with a keyboard, monitor and mouse?

Keyboard and mouse, yep. Monitor, nope.

Im gonna buy a cheap monitor from somewhere else. Aslong as it works it should be fine.

I'm not assuming everyone can build a computer simply because I can. I'm assuming you're intelligent enough to perform what really is a simple task. The worst part, after getting your system configured, is plugging things into the motherboard, and, even then, it's a simple matter of looking at the labels above things on the motherboard (which should solve any uncertainty you might have) and double-checking the motherboard's documentation (which is no more difficult to read than a man page) if you're not sure. But if you're really that trepidatious about building a computer, take comfort in the fact that nobody can force you to do it .

To me it is not the accual "put plug A into plug B" but the "does this ______ with plug W work with this _____ with plug K" before I buy it.

Let's hope she works well, eh?

Yea, but I expect it to - going from a 700Mhz Celeron to a Athlon 64 3400+ is a big step :)

majikstreet
March 8th, 2006, 09:59 PM
If it makes you feel any better. When I was in junior high, I spent $800 USD on 16MB of RAM to go into my AMD 486DX 66 system. RAM was very salty back then..
jesus! that's a lot of money..

glad you got your pc..

I know one thing.. I'm scared of buying a 64bit pc because of the little linux support..

Bandit
March 8th, 2006, 10:03 PM
jesus! that's a lot of money..

glad you got your pc..

I know one thing.. I'm scared of buying a 64bit pc because of the little linux support..
You can still run 32bit ubuntu on a AMD64.
I tried it last week and it worked like a charm.
The 64bit is little faster.
I have Fx 1.5.0.1 w/flash running.
OS ATI drivers for Breezy64 bit were screwed up by whoever packaged them.
Other then the ATI drivers, everything perfectly the same. I have no problems with video codecs or anything. I even compiled my own updated kernel for breezy.