PDA

View Full Version : What's your opinion on Netbooks?

Hwæt
February 8th, 2010, 11:10 PM
Personally, I used to call netbooks a stupid idea, but they really are quite nice given their portability and relatively low price. I recently got one (a Toshiba NB205), loaded UNR on it, and I'm loving it.

What're y'all's opinions?

(Note: Firefox recognizes "What're", but not a possessive form of y'all? ._.)

swaniachi
February 8th, 2010, 11:16 PM
I've had a Dell Mini 9 since they dropped...Love it. I have it running Karmic Netbook RMX, and the little guys screams.

The 9 is pretty easy to upgrade, and the SSD makes it quick to boot. I use it more than my primary notebook now.

snowpine
February 8th, 2010, 11:18 PM
I use my Dell Mini 9 every day. Love it!

kevCast
February 8th, 2010, 11:19 PM
They're great. Small and powerful, with lots of battery life.

markp1989
February 8th, 2010, 11:23 PM
I like them i still have an early eee pc 900 (running arch), so i dont get brilliant battery life compared to the new ones. im gona update when i get some cash. probably to another eee series.

nothingspecial
February 8th, 2010, 11:24 PM
I have a desktop.

I have an all singing, all dancing, laptop (allthough it would break most peoples legs...putting on their lap)

I use my Samsung NC10 most of the time. It runs full Ubuntu, Ubuntu minimal + not alot and puppy; and in the past has run zenwalk (unsuccessfully), Arch, Fedora and Suse. I have toasted my installations countless times. I have had more fun (messing about with linux) with this netbook then any other computer I`ve ever had.

Posted from my NC10 (minimal install partition)

ctrlmd
February 8th, 2010, 11:27 PM
Don't like them never did and never will
and i don't know why i just don't like them :-#

aysiu
February 8th, 2010, 11:34 PM
Netbooks are great for a particular lifestyle. Now that I've had a netbook for a couple of years (two separate ones, actually), I realize that lifestyle isn't my lifestyle. I'm a homebody. If I were more of a traveler, a netbook would be great. Every time I or my wife has had to travel, we have been very grateful to have a netbook available. It's small, it's light, but it does almost everything a laptop can do.

Unfortunately, we don't travel that often. So for people who stay at home most of the time, a desktop or a bulky laptop is a better option. I'll be keeping my netbook for probably a few more years. At that point, if I decide to get a new computer, I'll probably be aiming for more of a laptop than a netbook... unless we start traveling a lot all of a sudden.

Mandred
February 8th, 2010, 11:36 PM
I've had this Acer Aspire One for a few months now and I love it, it's perfect for day to day use and then some whilst I save to build a desktop system.
I think I used the XP that came pre-installed on it for all of an hour... To download an iso and create a live-usb :lolflag:. It's put up a fight but great fun to install various distro's on none-the-less.

nothingspecial
February 8th, 2010, 11:39 PM
So for people who stay at home most of the time, a desktop or a bulky laptop is a better option.

Why?

I`m sitting on the sofa right next to my wife while she facebooks about and I`m replying to this.

We`ve got some excellent tunes on and are chatting aswell.

It wouldn`t be the same with bulky laptops.

nothingspecial
February 8th, 2010, 11:40 PM
To download an iso and create a live-usb

I already had one ;)

aysiu
February 8th, 2010, 11:41 PM
Why?

I`m sitting on the sofa right next to my wife while she facebooks about and I`m replying to this.

We`ve got some excellent tunes on and are chatting aswell.

It wouldn`t be the same with bulky laptops.
Look, I get it. I have a netbook. I use it all the time. But my wife has a bulky laptop, and she has no problems listening to music and Facebooking on the sofa, too.

What's so special about a netbook for listening to music and Facebooking? I argue it actually is the same with a bulky laptop (except you get a bigger screen, a more powerful processor, and an optical drive).

Woolio1
February 8th, 2010, 11:43 PM
I've got a Dell Mini 10 with Ubuntu. Not Dell Ubuntu, because I've thrown in a 1TB HDD, 4GB of DDR3 RAM, and an Nvidia Discrete Graphics Chip...

Not a Dell Mini anymore. And other than the times I've fried the OS partition... It's worked well.

nothingspecial
February 8th, 2010, 11:48 PM
I don`t know if I can explain it but I`ll have a go.

We`re sitting on a small sofa and each of us has our netbooks on the arm. Because they are small, we are not focusing on them entirely. The wine is flowing as is the chat and the music.

If I had that monstrosity of a laptop that currently resides in my office on my knee, all hope of communication with the good lady would be lost in huge screens and HD capability and general biggness of the stupid thing.

nothingspecial
February 8th, 2010, 11:52 PM
Oh, and the music is not coming from either of the netbooks ;)

Hwæt
February 8th, 2010, 11:55 PM
I've got a Dell Mini 10 with Ubuntu. Not Dell Ubuntu, because I've thrown in a 1TB HDD, 4GB of DDR3 RAM, and an Nvidia Discrete Graphics Chip...

Not a Dell Mini anymore.

No ****! That's a Frankenstop!

You better hide that unholy creature before the village people hear about it.

aysiu
February 8th, 2010, 11:57 PM
Well, to each her own. If you like to balance your computer on one arm or in the palm of your hand, yes, a bulky laptop won't do for that.

My wife and I often lazily lie on our couches, web surfing, taking turns snuggling our cat, and watching TV. For that, a bulky laptop seems more appropriate.

nothingspecial
February 8th, 2010, 11:58 PM

Not a Dell Mini anymore. And other than the times I've fried the OS partition... It's worked well.

That`s not a netbook. Have you ever seen "The Island of Dr Moreau"

Gallahhad
February 9th, 2010, 12:01 AM
Personally, I used to call netbooks a stupid idea, but they really are quite nice given their portability and relatively low price. I recently got one (a Toshiba NB205), loaded UNR on it, and I'm loving it.

Wouldn't leave home with out mine.
Netbooks are a very useful tool, word processing, internet, etc... all the size of a hard back novel; and, a screen large enough to get things done, smart phones are nice in a pinch, but my netbook is my right hand.

nothingspecial
February 9th, 2010, 12:04 AM
Well, to each her own. If you like to balance your computer on one arm or in the palm of your hand, yes, a bulky laptop won't do for that.

My wife and I often lazily lie on our couches, web surfing, taking turns snuggling our cat, and watching TV. For that, a bulky laptop seems more appropriate.

I wish I could write pictures.

But, that is one thing I like. When I go outside for a cigarette (don`t stone me please have mercy.....I knew not what I did). I can balance it on my hand and type.

That`s cool.

nothingspecial
February 9th, 2010, 12:12 AM

Ah, sorry, just got it.

A bulky laptop would be best if you only had one computer and are both looking at the same stuff, of course. But if you have one each, small is the way.

That being said, I don`t really care about this an awful lot........ She`s just rather engrossed in facebook right now......:D

mamamia88
February 9th, 2010, 12:14 AM
i think they are great compliments to your main computer. for me mine is perfect i can easily carry it around campus for web browsing and writing papers and edit the final draft on my main machine

blur xc
February 9th, 2010, 12:25 AM

I used to feel the same way... but now my wife has a Dell Mini 10 w/ 9.10 NBR on it and I like it a lot. The keybaord isn't that bad to use, even w/ my huge hands, but the touch pad gets annoying.

The normal use case is for couch web surfing where a full sized laptop is too bulky and the battery life too short for any reasonable use unplugged.

During the day the netbook sits on the couch w/ the lid closed, and if we want to look something up we just flip it open and have at it... We still use the desktop most of the time, just because it's a much more powerful machine.

BM

blur xc
February 9th, 2010, 12:27 AM

How'd you do that? Are there online tutorials for doing those kinds of mods? Not that I'm brave enough to try it, but it'd be interesting to see how it's done anyway... How do you cram all that crap in there?

BM

Zoot7
February 9th, 2010, 12:44 AM
I think they started off great, being as portable as the first ones were. But now I think they're a little too pricey and big to consider over say, a 13' laptop.

gn2
February 9th, 2010, 12:58 AM
When they first became available the screens were ridiculously small.
I got fed up waiting for the larger screen models and bought a proper 12" laptop instead.
For me a 12" laptop is the perfect blend of functionality and portability and I'm glad I didn't buy a netbook.

Shibblet
February 9th, 2010, 01:11 AM

I've had an MSI Wind U100, and now own an MSI Wind L2100. I think the L2100 is considered a "Notebook" though.

I loved the price and portability. The problem I have is of course, the bane of Linux in general, driver support.

The L2100 comes with Windows 7, and Vista Legacy Drivers, but that's all you get. I was finally, after a long time, able to get Kubuntu installed and functioning Xorg drivers from the xorg-edgers PPA.

But Netbooks, Notebooks, Laptops, and Net Tops, are all designed to work with the OS and drivers that it comes with. Put a new OS on it, even a new Windows OS, you're probably going to start losing functional drivers.

hobo14
February 9th, 2010, 01:13 AM
When they first became available the screens were ridiculously small.
I got fed up waiting for the larger screen models and bought a proper 12" laptop instead.
For me a 12" laptop is the perfect blend of functionality and portability and I'm glad I didn't buy a netbook.

I've had an 11.6 inch laptop for a few years now, and it's just a nightmare to carry around. I'm waiting for a decent 9 inch ARM based netbook to become available.

Stan_1936
February 9th, 2010, 01:14 AM
Personally, I used to call netbooks a stupid idea......What're y'all's opinions?...

I would have no use for one. Therefore, in my opinion, they would be be waste of money and/or a stupid idea.

But that's just my opinion...........

Hwæt
February 9th, 2010, 01:19 AM
I loved the price and portability. The problem I have is of course, the bane of Linux in general, driver support.

But Netbooks, Notebooks, Laptops, and Net Tops, are all designed to work with the OS and drivers that it comes with. Put a new OS on it, even a new Windows OS, you're probably going to start losing functional drivers.

UNR works fine on my Toshiba NB205. The only problem I've had is a slow boot time, but that's not too bad considering the horror stories I've heard about Linux on *books.

I always do my research before buying pre-built machines of any kind. I find that life is much easier that way. I didn't realize that my netbook came with an Atheros WiFi card, and that scared me when I saw it. Luckily for me, though, it works fine after the last update.

Woolio1
February 9th, 2010, 01:24 AM
How'd you do that? Are there online tutorials for doing those kinds of mods? Not that I'm brave enough to try it, but it'd be interesting to see how it's done anyway... How do you cram all that crap in there?

BM

The Dremel is your friend.
Use it to your advantage, grasshopper.

Shibblet
February 9th, 2010, 02:05 AM
UNR works fine on my Toshiba NB205. The only problem I've had is a slow boot time, but that's not too bad considering the horror stories I've heard about Linux on *books.

Fortunately there is a compatibility list on the Ubuntu Wiki.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport/Machines/Netbooks

That usually helps. I wish I would have read it before I made my purchase. ;)

RandomJoe
February 9th, 2010, 03:02 AM
I'd not want to have a netbook as my only machine, but as a supplement to another machine it's great. The small size is nice for a variety of situations.

I use mine mostly for casual browsing in other places than my desk. It is also great for use at a table with others, such as in a meeting. A larger laptop is imposing and feels more like a wall between me and the others, the netbook is low enough that it's not imposing.

But I really want a tablet. I'd prefer to be able to write / draw notes and such. Right now I'm considering the Always Innovating Touchbook that someone pointed out in another thread here.

agnes
February 9th, 2010, 03:06 AM
I really like 13 or 12 inch laptops (not that I need one). Not too small, not too heavy. Great for taking to college or to a cafe/coffee-shop.

<= 11 inch is too small for me, seems only useful if you travel often. If you do, it could be great - unless you take a journey to somewhere and stay there for >= one week. Then I'd still go for a 12/13 inch one.

For everyday smaller journeys (e.g. going to college), it depends on the availability of wireless networks in your living atmosphere. If you have wifi almost everywhere you go, it would be handy.

Woolio1
February 9th, 2010, 03:26 AM
That`s not a netbook. Have you ever seen "The Island of Dr Moreau"

Yes, except this won't ever revert to a netbook. I made sure of it...

I rip apart Macs in my spare time... Usually find them abandoned, because they bought the newest versions. Disposable computers have surprisingly good parts. Which is where I found the parts for my netbook.

-Ericson

ubunterooster
February 9th, 2010, 04:20 AM
"sooo, does it ever grow up?"

"I think it needs to work out more"

"WHERE is it?"

"hey, the diet worked:really slimmed down!"

kilosan
February 9th, 2010, 04:24 AM
i like netbooks, its easy to carry and and put on the lap than laptops.

desktop+netbook is a kill, no need for laptops.

honeydanny
February 9th, 2010, 04:47 AM
Not as good as laptop IMO.

cartman640
February 9th, 2010, 08:48 AM
Can't stand them, I'm yet to see the appeal in what is essentially a laptop made worse. I have a 15" MacBook Pro for my laptop needs, it's not so heavy I can't carry it, I carried it around uni for a couple of years no problem, it also fits nicely in my bag. It's powerful enough that I can actually get work done on it, has enough screen real estate to be useful and if I want to have a small device for web, that's what my phone is for, no need for a netbook here.

I understand where people are coming from with netbooks, but to me they're more of a toy than anything.

Hallvor
February 9th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Love them. A large workhorse desktop and a little netbook to bring along is just perfect. :)

Bachstelze
February 9th, 2010, 09:59 AM
I have an EeePC 701 that I bought for bringing to school because my old 15" laptop was too big and unconvenient. Now that I have a 13" MacBook for a laptop, I only use the Eee to play around with various OSes on it when I'm bored. :p

mykampfer
February 9th, 2010, 01:20 PM
To be honest, they're pretty good depending on what you get, but if I was going to get a new netbook I'd probably download ubuntu or something (:

snowpine
February 9th, 2010, 01:42 PM
I take mine in the tub with me; I would not do that with a $1,500 MacBook. ;)

KegHead
February 9th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Hi!

I purchased a Dell mini 9 to learn about Ubuntu.

It became my computer of choice for over a year.

Now I've built my own system and converted 4 computers to Ubuntu 9.10 that work flawlessly.

KegHead