PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] 9.10 Xubuntu Change colors etc.?

cd-r80
February 8th, 2010, 09:19 PM
I am testing Xubuntu 9.10 . Panels are ugly grey & everything is dark. Can I change panel colors? New Xfce volume control it is clumsy. Can I install older applet? Wifiapplet icon is ugly hmmm. If not I have to start looking KDE or Gnome. Wifi works right !

Leppie
February 8th, 2010, 09:25 PM
did you ever browse around in the Xfce 4 Settings Manager?
Applications>Settings>Xfce 4 Settings Manager

the Appearance section probably will interest you.

miegiel
February 8th, 2010, 09:37 PM
What Leppie said. + In a terminal, do :

sudo apt-get install humanity-icon-theme

(at least that's what I did to get prettier icons)

cd-r80
February 8th, 2010, 11:23 PM
Ok, appearence settings were new to me. But can I install that older style volume control applet or not? Live version crashing a lot... terminal, log out applet.

cd-r80
February 8th, 2010, 11:30 PM
Ok I found http://goodies.xfce.org/projects/panel-plugins/xfce4-generic-slider . I hope that 9.10 HD installation does not crash like live.

Leppie
February 8th, 2010, 11:47 PM
Ok, appearence settings were new to me. But can I install that older style volume control applet or not? Live version crashing a lot... terminal, log out applet.
what is the exact name of the application you are looking for? or which version of xubuntu/xfce was it in?

cd-r80
February 9th, 2010, 12:18 AM
Xfce version 4.4 Xubuntu Intrepid. Network Manager Applet 0.7.0. Old style is cleaner (wireless signal meter). Old style volume slider I can perhaps make with that generic slider (poin & click fast). I love that so much if compared to opening Win XP sound control (wait & get old).

Leppie
February 9th, 2010, 12:54 AM
Network Manager Applet 0.7.0. Old style is cleaner (wireless signal meter).
the jaunty network manager is version 0.7.1 http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/network-manager-gnome
this is the one for intrepid, try installing it: http://packages.ubuntu.com/intrepid-updates/network-manager-gnome

Old style volume slider I can perhaps make with that generic slider (poin & click fast). I love that so much if compared to opening Win XP sound control (wait & get old).
i'm using the new version, but i get a full "mixer" on the screen when i click the volume icon... i have attached a screenshot.

XubuRoxMySox
February 9th, 2010, 01:36 PM
That screenshot is helpful. Click "Select Controls" and add the other ones that you want displayed.

-Robin

mcduck
February 9th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Xfce version 4.4 Xubuntu Intrepid. Network Manager Applet 0.7.0. Old style is cleaner (wireless signal meter). Old style volume slider I can perhaps make with that generic slider (poin & click fast). I love that so much if compared to opening Win XP sound control (wait & get old).

You can just replace the icon imaes with ones you like, so there's no need to downgrade the applet itself just for the icons.. (also some icon themes include network manager icons as well)

You'll probably find some icon sets for the network manager from gnome-lok.org, or just copy the files from some machine that has the older version.

What comes to the volume icon, have you tried just using the scroll whell over the icon? It's been a while since I last used XFCE, but at least Gnome's volume manager allows you to adjust volume with scroll wheel without clicking the icon open.

cd-r80
February 9th, 2010, 02:54 PM
Fastest volume control: point & click. Point & right click: mute. Xfce 4.4. Png Attached.

I mean I don't have to click anything to open slider. It is always open. Wheel slider: it does not feel accurate.

Leppie
February 9th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Ok I found http://goodies.xfce.org/projects/panel-plugins/xfce4-generic-slider . I hope that 9.10 HD installation does not crash like live.
why should the hd install crash when you install the this applet? as long as you install it the right way shouldn't be problem...

cd-r80
February 9th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Sorry it was ment to be a separate phrase. Just some applications were crashing when I tested LiveCD version. I made USB version now to check If it is more stable.

morgengenuss
February 9th, 2010, 06:40 PM
well, point and click is one thing, but with the new panel-volume-control you can just hover and use your mousewheel. (tbh i use keyboard-shortcuts for changing the volume...)

Leppie
February 9th, 2010, 06:45 PM
i've been using xubuntu karmic for a couple of months now. haven't really had any issues.

jenaniston
February 9th, 2010, 07:33 PM
why should the hd install crash when you install the this applet? as long as you install it the right way shouldn't be problem...

Is there some issue in general with configuration of applets in the 9.10 distributions (all variants) maybe ?

. . . how to debug the problems in Ubuntu 9.10 with "screenlets and the weather applet" here :
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1293789

I am downloading a Xubuntu 9.10 live CD iso right now as I write this . . . and will be making a live USB with usb-creator -
It may ultimately be the replacement full install "portable OS" that I use to boot up a sick laptop -
(lighter weight Xfce desktop may be even easier for me to do some final touches to desktop configuration when booted to the laptop -
I've had some limited success with Ubuntu 9.10 gnome desktop over U9.04 gnome -
and X9.04 xfce also did work better for me than U9.04 gnome on the laptop).

I don't mind learning some configuration with the hardware mismatch - but if I have to go to a lighter-weight non-desktop environment,
then I will also try a pure tiling window manager like IceWM . . . if need be.

cd-r80
February 9th, 2010, 08:02 PM
I Haven't tested yet enough. I hope that disappearing panel icons bug is fixed. 8.10 Lost my volume-applet twice. Not for long time now.

Leppie
February 9th, 2010, 09:15 PM
as i stated before, i haven't really had issues with xubuntu. sound works, icons stick, wifi and video working ootb, maybe i'm just lucky?

jenaniston
February 9th, 2010, 09:56 PM
I just noticed in synaptic package manager that there is a package for the gnome desktop called "gdesklets"

Needed - or a problem - for the Xfce desktop . . . ? I dunno yet.

gDesklets is an architecture for "desklets", which are tiny applets
sitting on your desktop in a symbiotic relationship of eye candy and
usefulness.

This package provides desklets for the gDesklets application.

This package contains theses desklets :
. . .
* Volume
* Weather 0.26

mcduck
February 9th, 2010, 10:21 PM
I just noticed in synaptic package manager that there is a package for the gnome desktop called "gdesklets"

Needed - or a problem - for the Xfce desktop . . . ? I dunno yet.

gDesklets is an architecture for "desklets", which are tiny applets
sitting on your desktop in a symbiotic relationship of eye candy and
usefulness.

This package provides desklets for the gDesklets application.

This package contains theses desklets :
. . .
* Volume
* Weather 0.26

Not needed, and not a problem. :)

It's just a program that provides desktop widgets. Much like Screenlets, but older. Works fine with any desktop environment (or window manager) but sure isn't part of any.

http://www.gdesklets.de/

mcduck
February 9th, 2010, 10:28 PM
Is there some issue in general with configuration of applets in the 9.10 distributions (all variants) maybe ?

. . . how to debug the problems in Ubuntu 9.10 with "screenlets and the weather applet" here :
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1293789

I am downloading a Xubuntu 9.10 live CD iso right now as I write this . . . and will be making a live USB with usb-creator -
It may ultimately be the replacement full install "portable OS" that I use to boot up a sick laptop -
(lighter weight Xfce desktop may be even easier for me to do some final touches to desktop configuration when booted to the laptop -
I've had some limited success with Ubuntu 9.10 gnome desktop over U9.04 gnome -
and X9.04 xfce also did work better for me than U9.04 gnome on the laptop).

I don't mind learning some configuration with the hardware mismatch - but if I have to go to a lighter-weight non-desktop environment,
then I will also try a pure tiling window manager like IceWM . . . if need be.

By the way, IceWm isn't a tiled window manager. Just a basic stacking one that comes with a panel much like in old Windows versions..

If you want a tiled WM, you need something like DWM or Ion2. ;)

jenaniston
February 10th, 2010, 01:39 AM
Re: gdesklets . . .

Not needed, and not a problem. :)

It's just a program that provides desktop widgets. Much like Screenlets, but older.
Works fine with any desktop environment (or window manager) but sure isn't part of any.

http://www.gdesklets.de/

OK, thanks for clearing that up -
gdesklets did install with my sensors-applet for lm-sensors . . .

By the way, IceWm isn't a tiled window manager.

Thanks again . . . that's right - IceWM window manager is in the list I had as stacking instead of tiling.

I'll try IceWM to get something like the screenshot below, found useful command line instructions here -
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/minimal#barebones
just so something is up on the screen for now when I plug the USB Xubuntu Live into a sick laptop
all to fix with the messed up hard drive Windows XP partition by using a linux live version.

Kiitos

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo161/sunblush/icewm.jpg

cd-r80
February 10th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Panel clock does not change time when I change system time?

Leppie
February 10th, 2010, 01:20 PM
mine does... but i'm using the ntp client, so i don't really change time manually. but when i did change it manually, it changed in the panel as well.

cd-r80
February 10th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Now on HD. xfce terminal is very slow respons, difficult to write...

Leppie
February 11th, 2010, 02:39 AM
is this a very old machine? xubuntu is not especially for older equipment. xfce is lighter than gnome, but xubuntu is still an ubuntu distro...
this may also be the reason why the livecd crashed on you...

cd-r80
February 11th, 2010, 09:24 AM
No. 64bit x2 Turion TL-58. 2GB memory. In 8.10 terminal was ok.

Leppie
February 11th, 2010, 05:43 PM
for me terminal is working fine (x64 as well).
are your video drivers installed correctly?

cd-r80
February 11th, 2010, 05:53 PM
Nvidia version 173 was installed automatically. How I know if they are working properly? I have no problems with color or resolution or videos.

Leppie
February 11th, 2010, 08:57 PM
is it only terminal that is slow? or are there other applications that are slow/laggy?

cd-r80
February 11th, 2010, 09:00 PM
It's just terminal.