PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] need suggestions

sushilsc
February 8th, 2010, 08:58 PM
Hi,

I just ordered a new laptop with Window 7(64) which means that it has 64 architecture. I wan to install Ubunut 9.10 on it .

Should I install 64 version of Ubuntu9.10??? Does skype , wireless and other features works as good as in 32 bit version?

thanks in advance.

with best regards,
sushil

rcayea
February 8th, 2010, 09:25 PM
I totally (as in full faith) recommend using 64 bit. I have noticed a difference in speeds for unzipping files and stuff like that. Some folks may not have noticed a difference. Also, I wouldn't worry about drivers or programs for 64 bit because I haven't ran into a situation like that in a long time. The only program I can't yet get to run is Foxit Reader. That is just my choice of pdf reader. Anyway, I say 64bit all the way!

wojox
February 8th, 2010, 09:27 PM
I totally (as in full faith) recommend using 64 bit. I have noticed a difference in speeds for unzipping files and stuff like that. Some folks may not have noticed a difference. Also, I wouldn't worry about drivers or programs for 64 bit because I haven't ran into a situation like that in a long time. The only program I can't yet get to run is Foxit Reader. That is just my choice of pdf reader. Anyway, I say 64bit all the way!

Agreed. I noticed a significant difference. I run 64 bit on my laptop and 32 bit on my desktop. My laptop hauls.

snakeman21
February 8th, 2010, 09:27 PM
I run 64 bit ubuntu, and I absolutely love it. The ONLY difference is that when downloading applications from anywhere but the software center or synaptec, you must make sure you are downloading the 64 bit version. You may also want to download the 32 bit libraries in case you want to run an application that does not offer a 64 bit version.

Skype, wireless, and everything under the sun work great (for me anyways)

Robster2
February 8th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Ubuntu 64 is stable since at least 8.04. You need to ask around about what version to use. I recommend 9.04. Don't know about 9.10, 8.10 was no good.

Frankly I do not see the point of having a 64 bit machine and not using 64 bit software where it is available.

snakeman21
February 8th, 2010, 11:56 PM
Ubuntu 64 is stable since at least 8.04. You need to ask around about what version to use. I recommend 9.04. Don't know about 9.10, 8.10 was no good.

Frankly I do not see the point of having a 64 bit machine and not using 64 bit software where it is available.

9.10 works great... since upgrading, I have had maybe 2 or 3 issues related to AMD64, and they were solved in minutes after a couple google searches.

sushilsc
February 9th, 2010, 12:52 AM
Thanks for your replies... so I will go for 64 version of Ubuntu9.10.