PDA

View Full Version : How many people in your family use linux?

sandyd
February 8th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Three. me, dolphinaura, and samantha_ (whos actually not part of my family, she just lives w/ us). p.s. is anyone having yahoo problems in tokyo? samantha_ could access her email account to activate her account...

madnessjack
February 8th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Me and my bro, two PCs, Karmic and Karmic Studio

EDIT: I'm 21, bro's 17

Cabs21
February 8th, 2010, 03:59 PM
me and my bro. Both karmic 64-bit. I got him hooked after he saw me playing with Compiz and he was asking me to fix vista for him. Will never go back to vista. Might try 7.

karthick87
February 8th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Only me..

undecim
February 8th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Me, my 3 brothers, and my sister share 4 ubuntu laptops. My mom also currently has Kubuntu installed on here laptop, which I put on for her after finding her Vista install was so infested with viruses that it was unsalvageable. Though now her computer won't boot from a CD, so I can't even set up a dual boot system for her. (much to her chagrin, as she cannot use her favorite coupon printing web sites)

My dad still uses Windows for no more reason than habit. (He even still used INTERNET EXPLORER 6 up until a couple month ago when he switched to chrome... His computer is even worse than my mom's was, and he refuses to let me touch it.)

markp1989
February 8th, 2010, 04:15 PM
me. using arch (20 years old)
older sister, using ubuntu (33 years old)
younger sister, using arch (18 years old)
neice, uses xandros (13 years old)

they all asked me for it, i didnt have to do any selling lol

Lord Stig
February 8th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Myself and my sister.

She was having problems with Vista (an often used phrase I bet).

She said it was too slow just continuing loading after the desktop appeared and after clicking Internet Explorer was taking even longer. She also complained it would crash a lot and then, on reboot, scan the drive for errors, but often crash during that!
I found it was taking ages to bring up the start menu when you clicked on it, then the menu would disappear before I could find and click on the item I wanted.

After a few weeks of talking it through I installed Mint 8 on a dual boot about three weeks ago and she loves it (and hasn't booted Vista since). The biggest objection, after iPod compatibility, she had about switching from Vista was "But why would they make something that didn't work properly?". There's no short answer to that!

pemur1
February 8th, 2010, 04:37 PM
Just me.

I've tried to talk my wife, my step-daughter, my sister-in-law, and my mother-in-law into switching from Windows, but they think Linux is too complicated to learn. I always tell them that if I can figure it out, they could too. But they're old-fashioned and too stubborn to change.

If I had $1 for every time I've had to fix their systems, I'd never have to work again. :)

ddarsow
February 8th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Me, my wife, my son, my daughter, & my son in law

Bachstelze
February 8th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Just me. I have better things to do than convincing others to use it.

ratcheer
February 8th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Just one - me. My oldest son uses Mac OSX Snow Leopard and my youngest son and wife share a Vista PC,

Tim

Name change
February 8th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Just me.
I don't even try to convince others. I know that if they'll want Linux they'll ask me for it, or install it them selves.

malspa
February 8th, 2010, 04:51 PM
I'd change my vote to "2" if I could because my son does use my Linux machine sometimes. He goes back and forth between Windows and Linux.

Nobody else in my family, or as far as I know, in my extended family, uses Linux or has expressed any interest in Linux whatsoever.

Not even my wife.

I don't bother trying to convince anyone to use Linux, either.

Swagman
February 8th, 2010, 04:54 PM
The Wife.. Three daughters (all own machines) and Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Dragonbite
February 8th, 2010, 05:58 PM
In our family of 5 we all use Linux at this point.

I'm setting up a system to dual-boot (2 different hard drives) Windows 7 and Linux. I'm hoping to hold off, and use a clean Ubuntu 10.04 LTS installation for the Linux side.

Only my son (7) and I really fool around with Windows (7), and as he puts it, because it's "new". Otherwise my daughters (9 and 5) and wife uses only Linux.

There's only a few things that are of interst with Windows;
My wife likes MS Publisher and Scribus is too "profesisonally-orientated" for her needs. Plus OpenOffice is a little older and has some annoyances (which may be fixed with a newer version)
Skype has only recently worked with the webcam, with a precursor to the command that runs Skype, in anything other than Windows.
My tablet works as a tablet in Windows, and as a mouse in Linux.
I like having Visual Studio available (Mono's support for VB.NET kinda sucks)

Other than that, the Windows portion is for compatibility (if it doesn't work in Linux, use Windows). If I can find suitable solutions to the issues above, though, then Windows will get moved further and further down the totem poll.

Oh, and the servers run Linux and my goal is to put more and more on the server instead of the individual systems.

Eisenwinter
February 8th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Only me. I explained the concept of Free Software to my younger brother, but he's not that interested in computers (he only listens to music and watches videos pretty much), so no Linux for him.

suitedaces
February 8th, 2010, 07:14 PM
Only me in my household, but I bought the girlfriend a netbook last year on the condition we put ubuntu on it. She hasn't looked back since.

scouser73
February 8th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Just me.

mamamia88
February 8th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Just me.

+1 even though i could switch my parents and they would never notice. maybe when they are about to get a new computer i will set them up with linux to save them some money

Flimm
February 8th, 2010, 07:28 PM
I'm quite pleased at the results so far, 54% are the only one in their family, that means 46% of the people who've responded are not the only Ubuntu user in their family! Well done, community!

As for me, I haven't tried too hard to get people to switch to Ubuntu, they seem to do it on their own. I guess the "Don't preach, mention (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=865750)" philosophy works. Three people in my family use Ubuntu as their primary OS.

blur xc
February 8th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Me, my wife, and my three oldest kids, 9, 7, and 5 yr old... All are dual boots, except my wifes netbook which is a clean 9.10 NBR install.

My 5 yr old daughter primarily uses XP because of a screen resolution issue on her disney Asus Eee PC netbook.

BM

JoeWheeler
February 8th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Just me, don't think my wife would get on with it

ctrlmd
February 8th, 2010, 07:59 PM
me just me no one else interested :/

Dragonbite
February 8th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Me, my wife, and my three oldest kids, 9, 7, and 5 yr old... All are dual boots, except my wifes netbook which is a clean 9.10 NBR install.

My 5 yr old daughter primarily uses XP because of a screen resolution issue on her disney Asus Eee PC netbook.

BM

I hide those Disney netbook advertisements! :)

My kids are the same age spread. The 5yr old I have booting directly into gCompris, and she also likes Childsplay.

The older two are more into the online Flash games. The only thing they seem to really prefer on Windows is MS Word with Clipart! Doing stories and putting clip art graphics into it keeps them busy for hours! TuxPaint is one of those "killer apps" for them! :)

I remember setting up the computer with a Windows XP install and setting up everybody as a user. Even though I did not set them up as Administrators, my son somehow removed the Office links for EVERYBODY, when he moved them to his (and his only) desktop! I've NEVER had this type of issue with Linux! So I'm watching him on Windows XP very carefully...

blur xc
February 8th, 2010, 08:27 PM
I hide those Disney netbook advertisements! :)

My kids are the same age spread. The 5yr old I have booting directly into gCompris, and she also likes Childsplay.

The older two are more into the online Flash games. The only thing they seem to really prefer on Windows is MS Word with Clipart! Doing stories and putting clip art graphics into it keeps them busy for hours! TuxPaint is one of those "killer apps" for them! :)

I remember setting up the computer with a Windows XP install and setting up everybody as a user. Even though I did not set them up as Administrators, my son somehow removed the Office links for EVERYBODY, when he moved them to his (and his only) desktop! I've NEVER had this type of issue with Linux! So I'm watching him on Windows XP very carefully...

Yeah- all my kids are big into online flash games. Lego.com, hot wheels, webkinz, etc... The problem is a lot of those online flash games need a certain amount of screen resolution (webkins in particular) to be playable. XP on my daughter's netbook has a 1024 x 768 compress mode, along with full screen mode and auto hiding the task bar make it usable. Ubuntu won't go past the 1024 x 600 native resolution, so it's a no go. I started a thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1389533) on the subject but have no to responses. And after the last round up Karmic updates, it won't boot into Ubuntu at all anymore... (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1400908)

the ony catch w/ the netbooks is they don't have much oomph for fast paced flash games. Logic and puzzle games work ok- arcade style play in slo mo. My older two have low spec 15" laptops, w/ nvidia graphics so they run halfway decent in both ubuntu and Vista. I encourage them to use Ubuntu for everything and only use Vista for lego digital designer...and that won't even run on the netbook. It's cute, but I think she'd be happier w/ something more powerful. Sadly, the netbook was more expensive than the laptops...

BM

xpod
February 8th, 2010, 08:36 PM
All of us....kinda. The wife will shop with anything that has a browser.

coldfusion1313
February 8th, 2010, 08:57 PM
I am the only one. My sister, 2 brothers, and mom are huge mac heads. My dad is a windows guy. I am the families IT too, becuase no one can do anything ex my dad.

My sister asked me the other day how to add files to itunes. I was like really.

ramjitmyrtle
February 8th, 2010, 09:07 PM
all except my dad and brother who's both working abraod. they us *******.

people in our house doesn't have any option since i control evrything when it comes to computers... :D

RabbitWho
February 8th, 2010, 09:56 PM
they us *******.

Well my immediate family all use "*******" but I use "poobuntu" and so do my aunt and my cousin.

subdivision
February 8th, 2010, 10:09 PM
Just me, so long as Android counts.

gjoellee
February 8th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Me and my sister... I use Ubuntu 10.04 (it is the only distro I got working with my hardware), and my sister use Jolicloud.

MichealH
February 8th, 2010, 10:20 PM
Im the only one in the house. My sister my Mam and My Dad all use Windows. When I speak of Linux stuff they don't want to know Its a OS they havn't tried. I bet if I faked mine to Win 7 and let them use it they will love it!

I still like programming for Windows though!

Anyways Im the second youngest in the family. (12)

xuCGC002
February 8th, 2010, 10:21 PM
All 3 people in my close family use Linux at the moment. My dad is switching back to XP as soon as I figure out what's up with his motherboard. We're all using the same computer (mine) until I can get my dad's computer fixed and I build a decent comp for my sister. Either that or I could just get her a Mac Mini.

chriswyatt
February 8th, 2010, 10:44 PM
I managed to convince my Dad to use Ubuntu, he was always getting viruses and spyware as he perhaps isn't too clued up on how to secure himself on the net, he's been using Ubuntu for a while now and not a virus in site! Also he says it's a lot snappier and he seems really happy with it as all he does on it is sends emails and go on the net. My dad's grumpy as Dad's go so I was surprised that he warmed to Ubuntu as much as he did.

My brother has been having major problems with his laptop, and he ran a scan and detected about 5 viruses on it, he disabled his virus protection to try and speed up his computer. It's just an old computer and he's had the Windows install for ages, it's been crippled before by viruses and it took me ages to get rid of them all. Anyway I suggested Ubuntu to him as a dual boot, only because it would make a good backup as his Windows partition seems to break a lot. He uses iTunes a lot so I'm not sure he could live without it. Also he wants me to come home AGAIN and fix his PC problems :( .

Yeah, I don't preach or lie about Ubuntu's capabilities but I do like to recommend it.

Old_Grey_Wolf
February 9th, 2010, 01:17 AM
Me, my wife, my son, and my three grandchildren. Several times a week, my two daughters and my son's girlfriend's daughter use Linux. My son's girlfriend uses a MAC.

Stan_1936
February 9th, 2010, 01:48 AM
How many people in your family use linux?

Only the people that I force it on*....so far, that's 3 others(besides me ofcourse).

* they've adapted to Browser Linux (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGwaYWwPYl8) rather well. Hehe!

Hwæt
February 9th, 2010, 01:56 AM
Only me; I am a lonely soul. :(

agnes
February 9th, 2010, 02:23 AM
Only me.
I persuaded my dad to install it but the ext4 or ext3 filesystem caused problems with his harddrive - which was probably the fault of the harddrive, it was old and broken, he has gotten a new PC since but he hasn't tried it again.
However he really liked Puppy Linux for repairing stuff.

Once I installed Slackware with KDE on my sister's old laptop but, she mainly needed SPSS (http://www.spss.com) 16 at the time, which for some reasons didn't really work, so she demanded XP back... (I don't know why it didn't work, it did for me, but now I think it might be due to not using Sun's JRE but the openjdk version).

no2498
February 9th, 2010, 02:45 AM
only me 804 on this everex box and 910 on a free windows dell 6400 door stop no sign of windows on eather
wife has vista along with aol from hhhh
something keeps running in the back ground an she cant find it does ctrl alt del only thing running is sys idle at 97% well thats got to be it ! lol

Daisuke_Aramaki
February 9th, 2010, 03:13 AM
Mom uses Windows. Dad is a Solaris user since 1993. My girlfriend uses a Mac for official work, and FreeBSD at home. I use most BSD's and a couple of Linux distros, Sorcerer and Lunar.

NightwishFan
February 9th, 2010, 03:19 AM
I am the only one who uses it in my family. However, my friends have an old single PC server that I converted into a desktop for them with Xubuntu.

l-x-l
February 9th, 2010, 04:38 AM
Both me & the wife uses it. My laptop has Ubuntu on it while her netbook has UNR.

|{urse
February 9th, 2010, 04:45 AM
However many linux users there are, I consider them all family. ;)

LightB
February 9th, 2010, 05:04 AM
If very small kids count then 4. Tux paint will keep them off your back for a while.

Simon17
February 9th, 2010, 05:08 AM
Millions. Everyone who uses Linux is my brother.

Even Kirby Strawn.

witeshark17
February 9th, 2010, 05:35 AM
I saw this a lot in the thread: same here. Just me and my bro so far... But we love it! :popcorn:

Dragonbite
February 9th, 2010, 03:52 PM
I wish I could get my parents on Linux, at least my Dad. That way I could reduce the number of times I have to help clear out viruses and what-nots, plus their aging machines would feel snappier!

lykwydchykyn
February 9th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Well... me, my wife, two (but almost three) of our kids who are old enough to use computers, and now my mother in law since I gave her a laptop with Xubuntu on it.

khelben1979
February 11th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Me and one of my younger brothers.

RiceMonster
February 11th, 2010, 07:00 PM
My dad plays around with it a bit, but doesn't really use it. Everyone else just uses Windows.

Millions. Everyone who uses Linux is my brother.

Even Kirby Strawn.

I lol'd

Bölvaður
February 11th, 2010, 07:02 PM
5+

I might actually have pushed 4 though.

sandyd
February 20th, 2010, 03:36 AM
bump

fatcrab
February 20th, 2010, 06:39 AM
Only me and then only as a hobby.

Ksimon17

n0dix
February 20th, 2010, 07:07 AM
My brother and i and a friend.

doorknob60
February 20th, 2010, 07:23 AM
Me, my two brothers, both my parents. Also one of my best friends now :D

PryGuy
February 20th, 2010, 07:28 AM
All of us! My dad, my wife and me. :) Three PCs with Linux installed. Two Linux servers also.

steve161
February 20th, 2010, 07:32 AM
Just me. An oasis in the desert.

Khakilang
February 20th, 2010, 07:42 AM
Me, myself and I.

Frak
February 20th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Where's the 0 option? Nobody in my family uses Linux as far as I'm aware.

baddog144
February 20th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Just me. I'm not into the whole "spread the word" thing. If people don't know Linux exists, I won't be the one to tell them

Grifulkin
February 20th, 2010, 08:00 AM
Three computer three with linux on them, 2 with windows on them, all mine.

drpjkurian
February 20th, 2010, 08:03 AM
Me using Karmic and my bro in law on Fedora

V for Vincent
February 20th, 2010, 08:05 AM
three. though I'm the only one who actively chooses to use it. don't get me wrong, I'm not making the others use it, it's just that our home computer needed an OS and I installed one. codecs and printer are set up, so to "naive" users like my mum and my sister there's no real difference with other OS'es.

Mustard
February 20th, 2010, 09:16 AM
Only me, I thought at first, but then I realised my nephew uses Puppy Linux on his ageing laptop.

My oldest daughter has a dual boot setup, but she never boots up linux.

Simon17
February 20th, 2010, 09:47 AM
Where's the 0 option? Nobody in my family uses Linux as far as I'm aware.

I'll bet your entire family uses Linux every day.

Do you have a Tivo? A router? A GPS? A toaster?

EvenGoogleRunsOnLinux.

lisati
February 20th, 2010, 09:52 AM
One user, three machines.....

Frak
February 20th, 2010, 04:53 PM
I'll bet your entire family uses Linux every day.

Do you have a Tivo? A router? A GPS? A toaster?

EvenGoogleRunsOnLinux.
You're right.

Nobody uses Linux in my family, still, since they barely even have a TV, let alone a phone or TiVo.

fatcrab
February 20th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Do you have a later model car? That just stops running? That runs crappy ?

dinamic1
February 21st, 2010, 12:49 AM
i and my father... he finds ubuntu easier to use than Xp

:-)

sandyd
March 4th, 2010, 06:20 AM
bump

Khakilang
March 4th, 2010, 08:03 AM
Me and my daughter.

Paqman
March 4th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Depends what you mean by "use Linux". My wife uses Windows on her laptop, but our media centre PC that she uses a lot runs on Ubuntu and her Kindle is Linux under the skin.

zakoo2
March 16th, 2010, 08:55 PM
Just me. Tried to convince my parents, but for them it's too complicated to learn :P

forrestcupp
March 16th, 2010, 10:16 PM
Only one, and it's not me. :)

I installed Ubuntu on my son's laptop because it suited his needs better. I run a lot of important apps that don't work in Linux, and I'm too lazy to dual boot.

sandyd
March 16th, 2010, 10:23 PM
over 50% of people have +2 linux users in their family. lookin good...