PDA

View Full Version : new to ubuntu and dont have a clue clue

tonythemushroom
February 8th, 2010, 02:53 PM
hello all , im a new user to using ubuntu and just to say i love it , bye bye by windows aint using you again :-) ,

what ive started this thread for is to find out what is the best way of learning all the ins and out of ubuntu and finding out what all this code working and that is ( dont want to sound dumb) but havint got a clue about using open source or programming or doing changes to it and all that but would like to learn so i can do personnel changes to ubuntu or even have a go atmaking games and stuff on it . Im wondering is it like making basic programming like you used to get on the zx spectum and things like that ie 10 line , 20 run etc and all that ? or is it completley different id be gratefull for any help . p.s please keep simple for me , thank you for your time :-)

tony :D

tonythemushroom
February 8th, 2010, 03:13 PM
hello all , im a new user to using ubuntu and just to say i love it , bye bye by windows aint using you again :-) ,

what ive started this thread for is to find out what is the best way of learning all the ins and out of ubuntu and finding out what all this code working and that is ( dont want to sound dumb) but havint got a clue about using open source or programming or doing changes to it and all that but would like to learn so i can do personnel changes to ubuntu or even have a go atmaking games and stuff on it . Im wondering is it like making basic programming like you used to get on the zx spectum and things like that ie 10 line , 20 run etc and all that ? or is it completley different id be gratefull for any help . p.s please keep simple for me , thank you for your time :-)

tony :D used windows for years , since the hazy days of first edition windows , :p

DrMelon
February 8th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Tony, the first thing you should look into should be how Linux works in general, before getting your hands dirty on actually modifying and recompiling the code.

Linux is programmed using C++, which is about as far from ZX BASIC as you can get. It is a vastly more complex and difficult language, and you should not attempt modifying the sourcecode of Linux until you are fully confident in making programs using C++.

sandyd
February 8th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Tony, the first thing you should look into should be how Linux works in general, before getting your hands dirty on actually modifying and recompiling the code.

Linux is programmed using C++, which is about as far from ZX BASIC as you can get. It is a vastly more complex and difficult language, and you should not attempt modifying the sourcecode of Linux until you are fully confident in making programs using C++.

not really true. although linux mainly uses c++, theirs other programming languages in use as well. java, python, ruby.....but still, I agree w/ you. you (the op) should learn how linux works in general before attempting any kind of programming (unless your doing stuff in java, php, or html cause those cross platform languages.)

Shpongle
February 8th, 2010, 03:42 PM
best advice i can give is to just use it!, ie get familiar doing your day to day tasks , Internet music films ipod burning cd/dvds writing documents etc! , . then when your comfortable with that you can explore more. were all learners , nobody knows everything on their own but as a community we can help others with what we know.

I remember when i started linux on fedora 6 , it was alright but i was overwhelmed and i was a kid at the time. a few years later i came back to linux on ubuntu 8.10, and iv been here since

A good thing I find is to save useful webpages , like if theres something you had to fix , save the fix so youll know it if you ever have to reinstall. just little things here and there as you go along. as for command line , i found you just get to know stuff from typing it so much , not that you have to! but its a powerful tool,

if you have problems google is your friend as well as us here!

hope it all goes well for you

Peace

sandyd
February 8th, 2010, 04:15 PM
p.s. be prepared to reinstall. a lot of times. the first few times that we use ubuntu, we do something that we shouldnt have done.... and it fries the system.... and we reinstall.

audiomick
February 8th, 2010, 04:26 PM
p.s. be prepared to reinstall. a lot of times. the first few times that we use ubuntu, we do something that we shouldnt have done.... and it fries the system.... and we reinstall.
On that note, if you haven't already got it, when you have to re-install, make a separate partition for /home. That way you can re-install and just re-mount /home and retain all your data and user preferences.

undecim
February 8th, 2010, 04:43 PM
One great thing about Linux is that the more you learn about it, the more you can do with it.

If you want to learn to write programs, I recommend starting with Python. http://docs.python.org/tutorial/

Also, the program "IDLE" is excellent for interactive programming in python. The python shell (which you can get by opening a terminal and typing "python") provides something similar, but IDLE makes it easy to fix blocks of code, then save your finished product.

Python is good for learning the basics of computer programming. After mastering that, you may want to look into C or C++. They're both essentially the same thing, only slightly different. C++ is the newer incarnation of C, with extensions that either make it easier to use or slower and more complicated, depending on who you ask. Either one is far faster than python, but require more skill and time to use.

Also, if you want to program, find a buddy who knows how or also wants to learn. Programming is infinitely more rewarding when you are collaborating with someone else, and most programmers will readily help others who are trying to learn.

samalex
February 8th, 2010, 05:14 PM

tony :D

Hi Tony,

First major question is what do you want to get out of it? Is your interest just in becoming a user, programming, DBA, server admin, etc? Each has its nitch in Linux and in open source software, so it depends on what you want to get out of it on what path you take to get there.

I agree with DillByrne in you just have to use it. Install Ubuntu 9.10 Desktop on a system and use it. Also break into command line and start learning Linux under the hood. Read through Ubuntu Forums and jump into various Linux oriented channels on irc.freenode.net. Also if you're in an area lucky enough to have a Linux Users Group join that and start asking questions.

And get some books... Learn about the file system, kernel, and just start absorbing as much as you can. Also I'd recommend once you get Linux installed, install VirtualBox and start test installing other distros to see how they work. Linux is just the engine 'aka kernel' driving the operating system, but each distro has its own way of wrapping everything else around the kernel. What you learn under Ubuntu won't always apply in Red Hat, Slackware, SuSE, etc... so branch out and test other distros.

Above all else don't get discouraged. Like anything new it'll take you some time to grasp the technology. Sounds like you have some computer experience, so see how that applies to Linux and run with it. Learn how to transpose the knowledge you already have to Linux.

As for programming, I recommend spending some time learning Linux and how it works before venturing into any development platforms. I'm afraid if you start trying to code right outta the gate you'll get frustrated VERY quickly which could cause you to look at Linux as a whole in a bad light. Take your time and it'll all happen :)

Take care --

Sam

mickie.kext
February 8th, 2010, 05:21 PM

Well... not realy. Linux kernel is done in pure C. GNOME is done in C. Qt and KDE are done in C++. But aside from missed name of language, I agree.

jenaniston
February 8th, 2010, 05:37 PM
best advice i can give is to just use it!,

And the easiest way to start using linux . . . (in a nutshell)

in Windows - if you must (and we nearly all start here) - just download an iso of a live version of linux
(say a Ubuntu or Fedora distribution - slightly different but mostly similar)
to your Windows Desktop.

Burn the iso to a blank CD (better if it is R/W) in Windows, and then
use that Live CD to reboot the computer -
nothing is installed or changed on the computer, unless you later want to.

It is definitely better to use the amd-64 live version iso IF the computer to boot on uses an AMD64 bit cpu . . .
but the x86 (or i686 versions Fedora) usually works for both 32 bit and 64 bit architectures.

Good luck.

tonythemushroom
February 8th, 2010, 10:17 PM

thnaks dr melon, i wont muck about with source code wouldnt no where to find it anyhoo lol not looked in tubuntu enough. , i know what c++ is , but never used it so will hit my local libeary and google to get some info , plus ive got a old pc that i can use to get a feel for it without doing any damage to my good pc i.e this one ( always good idea me thinks ) . :D

tonythemushroom
February 8th, 2010, 10:27 PM
Hi Tony,

First major question is what do you want to get out of it? Is your interest just in becoming a user, programming, DBA, server admin, etc? Each has its nitch in Linux and in open source software, so it depends on what you want to get out of it on what path you take to get there.

Take care --

Sam

i want to get into it as a user with some programming knowledge , just for my own benifit really so i can learn some new skills ive been geting bored just using my pc for just playing games and looking up rubbish on the net so mite as well do something usefull with it lol . i wouldn mind getting in to server work as well it would look good on my c.v . im pretty confident in using pc's for work so extra knowledge would come in handy. ive got this pc fully installed with ubuntu , and ive got a old one that has ubuntu partioned off with xp , wich i can use or abuse lol ( i.e test stuff out and try things on with out worrying about destroying it lol .

thanks to advice from all , ill see if theres anyone in this area that i can get in touch with for help and ill hit the libary and google for info . if stuck ill just come on the forum for advice ( belive me be prepared to be bombarded with questions lol

thanks to all xx

tony :p

juancarlospaco
February 8th, 2010, 10:50 PM
Learn Python...

tonythemushroom
February 8th, 2010, 10:55 PM
Learn Python...

i will do thanks im going to go to the pyton link that someone has psted on here . thank you .

Dayofswords
February 8th, 2010, 11:11 PM
were all learners , nobody knows everything on their own but as a community we can help others with what we know.
i like this:p

tonythemushroom
February 8th, 2010, 11:21 PM
i like this:p

good qote m8 more people sould follow that :D

juancarlospaco
February 8th, 2010, 11:30 PM
May the Classes be with you my young Padawan...

Hwæt
February 8th, 2010, 11:58 PM
May the Classes Modules be with you my young Padawan...

Remember, this is python we're talking about. I've fixed that for you.