PDA

View Full Version : I don't think Linux has 1% market share.

ssj6akshat
February 8th, 2010, 01:45 PM
With the number of people on Blogs,Forums,People Around Me etc.I don't think Linux has 1% Market share

Tibuda
February 8th, 2010, 01:46 PM
cool story bro

ssj6akshat
February 8th, 2010, 01:48 PM
cool story bro
Not a story but my personal opinion.

ikt
February 8th, 2010, 01:48 PM
With the number of people on Blogs,Forums,People Around Me etc.I don't think Linux has 1% Market share

You might be interested in this:

http://live.gnome.org/10x10

ssj6akshat
February 8th, 2010, 01:53 PM
i mean to say that linux' adopters have been increasing not decreasing.The analyst companies are being paid to alter the results to keep people FUDwashed(FUD+Brainwashed.A term I coined just now).

Johnsie
February 8th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Alot of people try Linux, get bored and then go back to Windows. There are also alot of people who have problems with Linux and move back. The number of computer users is going up and that means that there will be more Linux users, but that doesn't mean the PERCENTAGE of Linux users is going up. I think Apple is stealing away many of the people who want to rebel against Microsoft dominance... Apple is a more attractive package because it has a trendy image and is shiny.

ukripper
February 8th, 2010, 02:08 PM
](*,)----------------Recurring

Johnsie
February 8th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Recurring

Then dont read it or contribute to it. If people want to discuss it they will.

ukripper
February 8th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Then dont read it or contribute to it. If people want to discuss it they will.

Needs to bring to the attention of naked eye though!;)

Grenage
February 8th, 2010, 02:33 PM
I would actually be surprised if Linux had a 1% desktop market share.

RichardLinx
February 8th, 2010, 02:44 PM

I wouldn't.

http://i50.tinypic.com/314rsc8.png
source: http://marketshare.hitslink.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=8

Those figures are from October 2009.

fatality_uk
February 8th, 2010, 02:48 PM
So your 'gut feeling' is that Linux doesn't have at least a 1% share. Where as the resarch companies use sales data, internet traffic analysis and projection modelling to arrive at a figure.

Me, im going with them!

Useless Urchin
February 8th, 2010, 02:58 PM
I work for a website and our traffic consistently shows 1-1.5 percent Linux users (though I suspect a lot of those might be our webmasters when they work from home;) We have 1.2 million pageviews on average daily. Also, our browser stats are consistent with general browser stats that are in circulation and show that various versions of FF beat various versions of IE put together, nice and easy.

madnessjack
February 8th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Me too. I can think of litterally hundreds of people I know that use Windows, and literally two that use Ubuntu AND Windows.

arnab_das
February 8th, 2010, 03:04 PM
maybe 5 years down the line, with proper investment, marketing and development in the technical arena, linux (aka ubuntu since clearly its the most popular linux distro) can surely grow to magnanimous proportions.

koshatnik
February 8th, 2010, 03:17 PM
A) no one knows and B) know when will ever know.

End of discussion.

xuCGC002
February 8th, 2010, 03:21 PM
I want to say no, but I don't think Microsoft is buying out whatever source you have.

cguy
February 8th, 2010, 03:33 PM
I do not care.
Ubuntu trumps any Windows version on my computers and that's all I care about.

These world supremacy threads are getting annoying and are useless.

arnab_das
February 8th, 2010, 03:43 PM
I do not care.
Ubuntu trumps any Windows version on my computers and that's all I care about.

These world supremacy threads are getting annoying and are useless.

i am totally in love with ur signature :)

undecim
February 8th, 2010, 04:19 PM
I would have to say that it has more than 1% (and it's growing every day!)

Even if it did only have 1% though, it has the best 1% any community could ask for. Every Linux user I've ever had the pleasure of meeting or chatting has been intelligent, friendly, and helpful. Sure, there are a few zealots, but even those are nicer to talk to than most Windows or Mac users.

I've also noticed that the more experienced Linux power users fit this description better. Linux users seem know a lot more than others, so maybe there is a connection between those qualities.

Странник
February 8th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Never. The server share is a lot farther than 1%
Maybe that is desktop usage? Even if it is, I would say that it's about 6-7-8%

Kenny_Strawn
February 8th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Ultimately, what it comes down to is pure M$ bashing. The results are altered for the purpose of bashing FOSS, and that devil of a company needs to get a grip.

Name change
February 8th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Ultimately, what it comes down to is pure M$ bashing. The results are altered for the purpose of bashing FOSS, and that devil of a company needs to get a grip.
Yeah tell'em Benny er Kenny!
Excorcise the devil out of computers everywhere!
I advise you to sprinkle your computer with holy water, just to be on a safe side. You don't wan't to get it infected by the M$ demon.

samalex
February 8th, 2010, 05:04 PM
I've been following Linux for the better part of 15 years now, and every January issue of every Linux-friendly magazine always says 'This is the year of Linux' while the December issue of that same year always gives reasons why it didn't happen.

Linux is here and has been, but until it gets a larger voice it won't be much more than what it is now. For the server market I think it has a LARGE footprint, but for desktop users until more mainstream hardware vendors make it a viable option with no hoops to jump through I just don't think it'll grow much.

Do I like this??? Not at all. I would love to see Linux grow to have a larger piece of the pie chart, but unless more marketing is done to create trust in Linux for the average user, it's not happening.

Sam

Chame_Wizard
February 8th, 2010, 05:34 PM
The desktop market share is maybe 5%,but the rest are way above that(till 90% for super computers).:guitar:

aysiu
February 8th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Not only is it difficult to get an accurate measure of Linux's desktop/laptop/netbook market share, but it's also difficult to define what market share really means.

How do you count one user who has three Linux computers? Is that three computers or only one? How do you count a user who is dual-booting Windows and Linux? Is that half a computer for Linux and half for Windows? Or is that two separate computers? Do workplace computers count? I am not a Windows user, but at work I have to use Windows, so if I connect to the internet at work, I'll be counted as a Windows user.

Before you can even come close to having an accurate measure or estimate, you have to agree on the definition of market share.

Hetor
February 8th, 2010, 06:50 PM

cool personal opinion bro

doas777
February 8th, 2010, 06:50 PM
i mean to say that linux' adopters have been increasing not decreasing.

i had no idea which way you were gonna jump until this.

chucky chuckaluck
February 8th, 2010, 06:52 PM

don't give up hope, yet.

Ylon
February 8th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Instead, I am pretty sure that Linux is still near 1~2%. So, no FUD or international intrigue but....

I think also you've made the wrong question.

The real question is: how many user actually did choice their OS?

You are a Linux user because you chose to use Linux. Unlike windows no shopkeeper "forced" it in the PC you're going to buy!

Now, how many did actually choice Windows (or even knowing being able to choice)? very much less than ~1% ;)

Simon17
February 8th, 2010, 10:26 PM
It's an M$ conspiracy. Linux actually has a desktop market share of 25% or greater.

Along with the fact that the company is crumbling, M$ wants to hide the fact that its market share is dwindling from the stockholders. You can bet that the top executives will all sell their shares just before it all comes crashing down.

They also want to hide the numbers from OEMs so that they can keep their lock in to prevent their market share from shrinking even further.

nothingspecial
February 8th, 2010, 11:14 PM
You are a Linux user because you chose to use Linux.

I didn`t choose to use linux.

gjoellee
February 8th, 2010, 11:20 PM
You forgot the option "I don't care, but I would like some doughnuts"....I don't care about market share ;)

Hwæt
February 8th, 2010, 11:25 PM
Linux obviously has a 120% marketshare, it's just that you leed (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/leed#Middle_English) are all crazy.

Claus7
February 9th, 2010, 12:16 AM
Hello,

why does the percentage count so much?

and

how do we define a market share since some of the linux distros are free and some other not?

and how is it that this forum is over 10^6 users with active being less than 10^5?

and how is it that the most users online are getting more and more from time to time?

and how is it that ubuntu is being discussed by more and more people?

and... (hope my questions are not off topic)

Just some queries...

Regards!

Simon17
February 9th, 2010, 12:21 AM
Percentage matters because the higher the number for Linux, the closer the death of M$.

10^5 out of 10^6 users are active because 90% of people register, need help with 1 or 2 issues and then never return.

As for your last 2 questions because Ubuntu is becoming more popular. duh.

aysiu
February 9th, 2010, 12:26 AM
why does the percentage count so much?
Ask Mark Shuttleworth:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1

pbpersson
February 9th, 2010, 12:33 AM
In my house, 66% of the desktop operating systems are Linux. That is the only number that matters to me. :guitar:

Zoot7
February 9th, 2010, 12:41 AM
There is some hearsay floating around that if you factor in developing nations computers are shipped with some flavor of Linux to lower costs. However I don't think I've ever seen a reputable article to back that up.

You could also argue that OEMs like Dell really wouldn't care to offer Linux if it only had 1% of marketshare, but again it's hard to argue that because you can't back it up with actual numbers. It's difficult to quantify on account of being free and that given most new machines are counted as Windows sales anyway.

But when it comes to the vast circle of people I know there is a good number using Linux, but given my field of study that's understandable, although outside that I don't know of anyone using Linux really, so IMO the 1% sounds reasonable.

JDShu
February 9th, 2010, 01:31 AM
I believe the statcounters. I think they're more scientific than at first glance. Hits are after all, the best way to measure how much people are using a particular operating system (on the Internet... people with no Internet don't count :P). I also have weird faith in the idea that the stat counters are on a wide range of websites.

HappyFeet
February 9th, 2010, 01:50 AM

Cool opinion bro.

MicrosoftFan
February 9th, 2010, 02:34 AM
Now, how many did actually choice Windows (or even knowing being able to choice)? very much less than ~1% ;)

2% of people chose to use the Windows 7 beta...

Simon17
February 9th, 2010, 02:42 AM

0wned

ssj6akshat
February 9th, 2010, 01:10 PM

True

deanhopkins
February 9th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Sounds about right to me, put 100 random people in a room, how many of them would you expect to be linux users?

kilosan
February 9th, 2010, 01:56 PM
forget about the 1% desktop market share, because the desktop itself is being killed slowly by google.

SIGTERMer
February 9th, 2010, 02:09 PM
forget about the 1% desktop market share, because the desktop itself is being killed slowly by google.

will never happen

madnessjack
February 9th, 2010, 03:31 PM
yeah, i've noticed that too

???!??

Alex Libman
February 9th, 2010, 09:32 PM
It's an M$ conspiracy. Linux actually has a desktop market share of 25% or greater.

I take all conspiracy theories very seriously, as long as they are grounded in at least some degree of reality. Microsoft does not control the 6+ billion people in the world who do not work for Microsoft, most of whom don't like Microsoft, and those that do work for Microsoft are free to quit at any time. How could such a conspiracy possibly function? And do you honestly believe that 24 out of 25 Linux users edit their Web browser's user-agent string to pretend it's Windows?!

The real question is: how many user actually did choice their OS?

All consumers choose their OS. No one holds a gun to their heads and forces them to use Microsoft software! In fact it's the open source software that's often funded without the consent of those that pay for it: a sizable fraction of it is funded through taxation (ex. public universities).

cariboo
February 9th, 2010, 09:59 PM
From this (http://blogs.eweek.com/applewatch/content/macbook/microsoft_ceo_scoffs_at_mac_share_gains.html) blog post, Microsoft seems to think Linux has a larger market share than Apple.

ssj6akshat
February 10th, 2010, 06:18 AM
All consumers choose their OS. No one holds a gun to their heads and forces them to use Microsoft software!.

and what do you call OEM preloads?

Satoru-san
February 10th, 2010, 06:30 AM
Alot of people try Linux, get bored and then go back to Windows. There are also alot of people who have problems with Linux and move back. The number of computer users is going up and that means that there will be more Linux users, but that doesn't mean the PERCENTAGE of Linux users is going up. I think Apple is stealing away many of the people who want to rebel against Microsoft dominance... Apple is a more attractive package because it has a trendy image and is shiny.
Its like this.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a124/lilkidz/random/5d32636b.jpg

We need more open/free BSD users :)

baddog144
February 10th, 2010, 06:32 AM
and what do you call OEM preloads?

It's not like they can't put something else on it if they want

murderslastcrow
February 10th, 2010, 08:50 AM
It's not like they can't put something else on it if they want

The point he's trying to make is that it's made more available through a vicious cycle of "it's here, so we use it, we use it, so keep it here and forget about any alternatives." It's Windows or a Mac to most people out there, even those who have perhaps heard of Linux in the past.

It's like the news- you choose what news you read or watch, but if you do it through the most common channels, you miss a lot of important information about what's going on in the world around you.

Of course, many computer users don't apply open-minded thinking to their OS. They just license their digital life from someone else.

I think the second option should be No, not "No, they're all being wusses and sucking up to Microsoft." There are many reasons results can be incorrect, since not everyone will visit these studies. You must take a look at how they're conducted.

Maybe they're just stating the number of purchased SUSE and Red Hat installations there are, which I'm guessing isn't the majority of Linux users.

ssj6akshat
February 10th, 2010, 09:19 AM
... Maybe they're just stating the number of purchased SUSE and Red Hat installations there are, which I'm guessing isn't the majority of Linux users.

this is my doubt also

Hallvor
February 10th, 2010, 09:22 AM

Does it really matter?

chriswyatt
February 10th, 2010, 09:39 AM
cool personal opinion bro

Cool comment bro

hawthornso23
February 10th, 2010, 10:55 AM
From this (http://blogs.eweek.com/applewatch/content/macbook/microsoft_ceo_scoffs_at_mac_share_gains.html) blog post, Microsoft seems to think Linux has a larger market share than Apple.

When I download via a torrent I like to note what clients other people in the swarm are using. Most of course are using microtorrent, but there are quite a few transmissions and deluges. I'd estimate at least 5% are using a *nix bittorrent client of some sort.

Tibuda
February 10th, 2010, 10:58 AM
When I download via a torrent I like to note what clients other people in the swarm are using. Most of course are using microtorrent, but there are quite a few transmissions and deluges. I'd estimate at least 5% are using a *nix bittorrent client of some sort.

transmission works on mac, and deluge on windows.

ssj6akshat
February 10th, 2010, 12:12 PM
it's an m$ conspiracy. Linux actually has a desktop market share of 25% or greater.

Along with the fact that the company is crumbling, m$ wants to hide the fact that its market share is dwindling from the stockholders. You can bet that the top executives will all sell their shares just before it all comes crashing down.

They also want to hide the numbers from oems so that they can keep their lock in to prevent their market share from shrinking even further.

+1

NCLI
February 10th, 2010, 12:22 PM
transmission works on mac, and deluge on windows.

I honestly doubt many Windows/Mac users use these programs... Some statistics would be nice though.

samjh
February 10th, 2010, 12:52 PM

People who publish blogs or regularly use internet forums tend to be more tech-savvy than most computer users, and are therefore more likely to use Linux than most computer users. In other words, blog publishers and forum members who use Linux are over-represented.

In server-space, Linux has a fairly large market share. But on the desktop, it's tiny. I believe in the analysis companies who says Linux desktops have 1% market share or a figure similar to that. Microsoft doesn't pay analysis companies unless they actually commission the surveys, which they often don't.

3rdalbum
February 10th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Are we talking strictly developed world, or can we count developing world?

At least in some parts of India, Linux is almost as popular as Windows (Source: My friend who lives in India). Let's say quite a few parts of India are like this, because they probably are - a single pocket of high Linux use would be an immediate target for Microsoft to give out some free software.

There's a thousand million people in India (a billion, depending on your local numerics system!). I'll leave the rest of the mathematics to you, but I'm sure everyone can plainly see that Linux has a higher market share than 1%.

Grenage
February 10th, 2010, 01:23 PM
If we are including the developing areas of the world, then I agree that the user base is probably well above 1%. It could easily be up to 5%+.

Tibuda
February 10th, 2010, 01:38 PM
I honestly doubt many Windows/Mac users use these programs... Some statistics would be nice though.
Transmission is popular on Macs. Deluge not so much on Windows.

Comparing the number of topics in Mac subforums and Gtk subforums on Transmission forum (http://forum.transmissionbt.com/index.php), I'd say Mac have (648+2731)/(648+2731+181+106+3) = 92% of transmission users. Perhaps the Mac version is buggier, but who knows?

Now apply the Bayes theorem, make some assumptions, and after some math you'll infer Linux has less than 1%:

P(transmission|linux) = P(linux|transmission) P(transmission) / P(linux)

P(linux|transmission) = 8% from transmission forums
P(transmission) = 5% from your previous post
P(transmission|linux) = 50% arbitray, I don't know how many linux users use transmission

P(linux) = P(linux|transmission) P(transmission) / P(transmission|linux)
P(linux) = 8% * 5% / 50% = 0.8% !!!

that's totally arbitrary, but it is consistent with the analysis companies data.

If we are including the developing areas of the world, then I agree that the user base is probably well above 1%. It could easily be up to 5%+.

Are we talking strictly developed world, or can we count developing world?

At least in some parts of India, Linux is almost as popular as Windows (Source: My friend who lives in India). Let's say quite a few parts of India are like this, because they probably are - a single pocket of high Linux use would be an immediate target for Microsoft to give out some free software.
No, I live in a subdeveloped country and the piracy is universal here. Linux surely have a higher market than Mac, but it is still tiny.

There's a thousand million people in India (a billion, depending on your local numerics system!). I'll leave the rest of the mathematics to you, but I'm sure everyone can plainly see that Linux has a higher market share than 1%.
1. population does not depend on the numerics system.
2. how many of those million have a computer?

Grenage
February 10th, 2010, 01:45 PM
No, I live in a subdeveloped country and the piracy is universal here. Linux surely have a higher market than Mac, but it is still tiny.

That answers that.

Ylon
February 10th, 2010, 01:53 PM
How much this "2%" did come from Vista? :popcorn:

Don't misunderstond choice for "try to escape" ;)

All consumers choose their OS.

Really... ?
let's put different way then: how many call directly Microsoft's center support if they have some problem with Windows software?

If someone buy a HP PC (with Windows pre-installed), when they get some problem with "their windows"... why they actually call for HP's support center?

There's difference to sentence what looks true and actually find what's true.

No one see "Microsoft Windows $xx.°°" on their check receipt. No consumer put money in microsoft pocket.. .they just (money) end in micorosft pocket thank to Hardare manufacturer which refuse to support linux.

MicrosoftFan
February 10th, 2010, 02:19 PM
How much this "2%" did come from Vista? :popcorn:

Don't misunderstond choice for "try to escape" ;)

So most Linux users didn't "choose" Linux either then?

Ylon
February 10th, 2010, 05:15 PM
So most Linux users didn't "choose" Linux either then?

Every Linux user knows aboutWindows, but very few Windows users know linux.
In addition, hardware vendors do not support Linux, while fully support Windows: to continue to use Linux you need to be careful about what hardware you're going to buy *and* be aware of having very-little-to-none professional support (compared Windows).

Whereas if you use Windows, you only know windows and no one informs you of the opportunity to use your hardware with something else. Also need to be aware that Hardware manufacturer wouldn't support you if you want to switch.

So, no.
Use, and keep using, Linux is a pure choice.

PS: ehy! I know it's just about a piece of software: but that's the way I see it. Why my money should worth less if I want use a damn good piece of software?

MicrosoftFan
February 10th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Every Linux user knows aboutWindows, but very few Windows users know linux.
In addition, hardware vendors do not support Linux, while fully support Windows: to continue to use Linux you need to be careful about what hardware you're going to buy *and* be aware of having very-little-to-none professional support (compared Windows).

Whereas if you use Windows, you only know windows and no one informs you of the opportunity to use your hardware with something else. Also need to be aware that Hardware manufacturer wouldn't support you if you want to switch.

So, no.
Use, and keep using, Linux is a pure choice.

PS: ehy! I know it's just about a piece of software: but that's the way I see it. Why my money should worth less if I want use a damn good piece of software?

Going way off the argument now.

Also, I keep hearing from Linux users that it has waay better hardware support than Windows; that after installing Windows you have to spend "hours" finding & installing drivers, whereas with Linux it all just works. So I don't know what you're talking about there.

NCLI
February 10th, 2010, 07:06 PM
Transmission is popular on Macs. Deluge not so much on Windows.

Comparing the number of topics in Mac subforums and Gtk subforums on Transmission forum (http://forum.transmissionbt.com/index.php), I'd say Mac have (648+2731)/(648+2731+181+106+3) = 92% of transmission users. Perhaps the Mac version is buggier, but who knows?

I think it's simply because so many Linux distros have their own forums where people post their transmission woes, because it's included in most repos. MAC users actually have to go to the Transmission website to get it.

Tibuda
February 10th, 2010, 07:26 PM
I think it's simply because so many Linux distros have their own forums where people post their transmission woes, because it's included in most repos. MAC users actually have to go to the Transmission website to get it.
there are mac forums on the interwebz (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=mac+forums). but yeah, that 92% is surely wrong.