PDA

View Full Version : Java BufferedWriter question

SNYP40A1
February 8th, 2010, 09:45 AM
I have implemented a function in Java which logs data to a text file using BufferedWriter. Periodically, I want to close the currently-opened text file and write my data to a new one depending on what the data to be written looks like. I have that part figured out, but how do I check to ensure that the stream is ready to be written (allowed enough time for the BufferedStream to be setup)? In C++, there's an is-open or good command one can call to ensure that the stream is ready (http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/files/). For the buffered writer class in Java, is it safe to assume that once this line is called:

FileWriter fstream = new FileWriter("out.txt");
BufferedWriter out = new BufferedWriter(fstream);

It's safe to write to BufferedWriter out?

Some Penguin
February 8th, 2010, 09:55 AM
For the buffered writer class in Java, is it safe to assume that once this line is called:

FileWriter fstream = new FileWriter("out.txt");
BufferedWriter out = new BufferedWriter(fstream);

It's safe to write to BufferedWriter out?

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: If the write occurs to a network file system or something else special like that, I could see a situation in which subsequent writes will trigger exceptions due to problems with the network that didn't happen until then. However, regarding specifically what you ask about: a properly functioning JVM should not proceed to the next bit of bytecode until 'out' is valid. I have heard about the occasional not-properly functioning JVM, but these are hopefully rare and failing in more subtle ways.

SNYP40A1
February 10th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Ok, thanks for your help.