PDA

View Full Version : Is a netbook a good investment?

gymophett
February 8th, 2010, 04:54 AM
http://images.bestbuy.com:80/BestBuy_US/images/products/9727/9727541_sa.jpg

I'm planning on buying that beauty. I am young, and am planning on saving up from my job to buy it, and I am spending no more than $300.

I do online homeschool, that doesn't require Windows. (:

So would this be a good investment? Or should I hold back.
I really want one.

LightB
February 8th, 2010, 04:57 AM
Well if you want it, get it. I want one myself. Android too small and laptops too big.

Groucho Marxist
February 8th, 2010, 04:58 AM
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+Eee+PC+Netbook+with+Intel&%23174;+Atom&%23153;+Processor+-+White/9727541.p?id=1218161506173&skuId=9727541

I'm planning on buying that beauty. I am young, and am planning on saving up from my job to buy it, and I am spending no more than $300.

I really want one.

{Side note: for some reason, the link is not working. For all I know, that could just be a Best Buy issue, rather than the OP's}

First of all, Aside from school activities, what do you want to use the hypothetical notebook for?

How long are you planning on using said laptop?

I'll post more questions as soon as I can come up with them.

slooksterpsv
February 8th, 2010, 05:01 AM
Netbooks are great for basics.

If you use UNR you can watch flash video like Hulu and Youtube without too much of a hassle. Let me check what kind of laptop it is...

Page won't load, if it has a GMA500, I hope you have some Linux background knowledge to get accelerated 2d on the computer.

Other than that, I love my netbook... well technically I gave it to my niece. It ran alright, did the basics, screen was actually nice, not heavy, just right.

ETbluez
February 8th, 2010, 05:02 AM
You answered your own question![I really want one.]
so get it.

Kenny_Strawn
February 8th, 2010, 05:04 AM
I would say yes. I have an Acer Aspire One myself, and am really impressed with its performance with Linpus Linux Lite (its default OS).

I would really recommend, if you can stand the difficulty, building a custom desktop with hardware you can be sure works with Linux. That's what I did, and it didn't cost me that much. In fact, less than $500!

And that was with Windows Vista Home Premium OEM, which added an unnecessary $130 to the computer's cost. That was because I had a Wi-Fi USB adapter that didn't work with Linux. Now that I have an internal (and much more powerful) adapter that DOES work out of the box, I don't have to worry.

The old adapter's model number was Linksys WUSB54GSC. My new one's is Linksys WMP600N.

sudoer541
February 8th, 2010, 05:05 AM
I am planning to buy a lappy cuz it has more horses.

gymophett
February 8th, 2010, 05:05 AM
Groucho Marxist;8792259]{Side note: for some reason, the link is not working. For all I know, that could just be a Best Buy issue, rather than the OP's}

FIXED.

First of all, Aside from school activities, what do you want to use the hypothetical notebook for?
Music, word processing, web browsing, videos, maybe some light games with an external monitor I have.

How long are you planning on using said laptop?
Maybe 2 years. Not for my main, just as an extra play one.

crlang13
February 8th, 2010, 05:06 AM
I'm running on an MSI wind U123 and love it. It's got a slightly larger screen and keyboard than most netbooks (11 inches I think).

It's pretty much my primary computer. I've found that people's ideas on netbooks is that they aren't fully functional computers, but they pretty much are. It came with a 160 Gb harddrive and a gig of RAM (which I upgraded to 2 gigs) and the pentium atom is plenty fast. Of course it can't handle too many graphics and all that, but that's not what I use my computer for anyhow. I think it's got the specs for most computer users.

The size can be a bit of a bother sometimes, but if you have a spare monitor and keyboard hanging about, you can plus those in when you're using the computer at home.

In summery, go for it. They're great value and really handy.

markinf
February 8th, 2010, 05:16 AM
You should. Netbook are smaller, chepaer, lighter than Notebook.

I have a HP MINI and seriously UNR (Ubuntu Netbook Remix) is SO awesome I can't stop using.

At first I tought that UNR would be stupid, but it works so perfect. So if you are getting a netbook please do you a faver and use UNR for at least 3 days, after that you can't be able to stop using.

UNR is so awesome that I'm thinking on installing on my notebook/desktop.

jrusso2
February 8th, 2010, 05:26 AM
The ones I saw at Best Buy none had Linux. Are you sure this ones does?

gymophett
February 8th, 2010, 05:28 AM
The ones I saw at Best Buy none had Linux. Are you sure this ones does?

It doesn't, but why does that stop me from putting it on there?
I will do an ubuntu minimal as soon as I get it.

I think I am getting it tomorrow! ;D

Gallahhad
February 8th, 2010, 05:29 AM
http://images.bestbuy.com:80/BestBuy_US/images/products/9727/9727541_sa.jpg

I really want one.
Since you already have a capable laptop/notebook, then I'd say if you want a netbook, by all means have one. I love the hell out of mine; the portability is awesome. I'll be putting a 3g card in it one of these days, and perhaps a gps, and then it becomes my perfect go anywhere, do anything device.

stmiller
February 8th, 2010, 06:39 AM
I've got an Asus Epc. (Typing this on it now.)

They are great small portable computers. Don't expect to do video editing or anything crazy. But for a full Linux install on a small portable machine, it's nice!

If you travel a lot or are a student netbooks make a lot of sense.

Warpnow
February 8th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Low Powered Netbook + High Powered Desktop = Match made in heaven.

jrusso2
February 8th, 2010, 07:55 AM
It doesn't, but why does that stop me from putting it on there?
I will do an ubuntu minimal as soon as I get it.

I think I am getting it tomorrow! ;D

Go for it and hopefully all the hardware will work.

dragos240
February 8th, 2010, 08:49 AM
I got a REALLY nice netbook, an eeePC 900HD, great little piece of hardware, I have absolutely NO regrets, it's awesome. I actually reccomend buying a netbook that has windows preinstalled, because the Linux ones have a very small hard drive, the windows ones have a 200GB one, better deal. These things are mobile, easy to carry, and great for every day use, in fact, I'm using mine right now! Overall, great investment.

3rdalbum
February 8th, 2010, 12:27 PM
I love netbooks. I'm not entirely happy with mine (512mb RAM and a super-slow SSD) but I'd never buy a full-sized heavy laptop. They're hardly portable, and they feel so fragile too.

Netbooks are where it's at, but unfortunately the Windows licensing conditions have caused all netbooks to have the same specifications.

Johnsie
February 8th, 2010, 02:16 PM
A netbook is a very, very good investment, especially if it has built in mobile broadband. Decent processing power, storage and ultra-portability. I can take mine anywhere and not even notice that I'm carrying it.

Windows 7 is great on Netbooks so it's worth getting one that has Windows 7 on it.

ukripper
February 8th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Cheapest portable server for me (Eeepc 700 2GB ssd, 900mhz processor, underclocked to 575 mhz, 512mb ram). So i'd say yes, it is the best investment for me.
It runs as my NAS server in daytime and at night time it transforms itself to be my CCTV monitoring server with zoneminder with 2 cameras hooked up to the capture card.

On average usage: Total power consumption 18watt excluding external drives.
Idle: 8 watt

Excedio
February 8th, 2010, 02:41 PM
Personally, I think that Netbooks are just high octane DVD players. Maybe it's just me, but I absolutely HATE trying to type on the ones I have here at work.

http://images.wikio.com/images/s/571/photo-dell-inspiron-mini-10.jpeg

Not to mention I HATE the touch pad. The fact that it does not have bottons seperate from the actual pad kills it for me. I try to click on something and the mouse goes flying across the screen!

Of course for my work, these can be very handy. We use them for mobile video conferencing with Sprint U300/U301 aircards.

Long story short, would never buy one for myself. Not unless I want early arthritis from trying to type in a cramped space...