PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation fail

9a8sy
February 8th, 2010, 02:58 AM
I just downloaded the latest version of Ubuntu and went to install it on a Pentium 4 desktop that previously had XP on it. I get the main setup screen where it allows you several options including installation. Once I select installation, it appears to be installing but then comes up with a message that includes the following: "removing gdm-guest-session" It will not do anything else and the machine appears to go into sleep mode. When I try to shut it down, it appears that the kernel had loaded. Any ideas why the normal installation isn't continuing?

9a8sy
February 9th, 2010, 02:59 AM
Unbelievable, a forum for ubuntu geeks and nobody has any installation suggestions for me...... Nice

imanewbie
February 9th, 2010, 11:05 AM
we have the same problem man... what's you video card??? im gonna try swapping my video card with another one here... il keep you posted on what happens next...

Claus7
February 9th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Hello,

I suppose that this is a specific bug hunting karmic. I would suggest you to try another distro and see if you get the same error...

Now reading this:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gdm-guest-session/+bug/449712

I would try to find the guest-session-cleanup.sh and try to run it myself with root privileges and see if I would get rid of the error. In order to do so I would put in the installation cd and try to search where this file is located.

Another thing would be to upgrade my system. Maybe there I would have some new versions of the problematic files and solve my issue (via sudo apt-get upgrade).

Regards!

ABW1
February 9th, 2010, 11:34 AM
Interesting! Try downloading another distro maybe and try that

9a8sy
February 9th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Video card is nVidia. I believe it is a 7 series. I did download and install open Suse without any issues. However it seems to be quite a bit different than Ubuntu. I'm still a novice at operation Linux on the command line.

9a8sy
February 13th, 2010, 11:45 PM
Does anyone know where I could find an answer to this question?? I'd really like to put Ubuntu on my PC but it isn't looking too good right now.

9a8sy
February 14th, 2010, 04:47 AM
Well, I figured it out so I hope everyone puts this on in their memory banks in case someone else experiences the issue. I change my video card and the problem when away.....

jken146
February 14th, 2010, 04:51 AM
You could try a different method of installing Ubuntu, perhaps a net-install.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation