PDA

View Full Version : Facing lot of problems in UBUNTU JAUNTY :(

srk2890
February 8th, 2010, 01:18 AM
Ppl .. i'm new to ubuntu .. i've been facing a lot of problems lately. I'd be very glad if someone comes forward to help this "poor thing" out. Well my problems are

->I encounter an error "781 Header missing " at times when the system boots. The welcome screeen doesnt appear . stops with a blank screen and the keyboard is not functional.

->I was very comfortable using Photoshop for image editing , GIMP is killing me.. Similarly .. Though i have UBUNTU STUDIO , i find it hard to edit audio clips. Can someone please guide me to sites which educate me with how to use these softwares.

->My system is slow , a relative of mine told me that UBUNTU JAUNTY works with only 16 bit n i have 32 bit processor .. Heard that ubuntu 9.10 is 32 bit but is an unstable version . so what do i do ??

Also i am very interested in operating the system through the terminal , rather than using the GUI .. do u have good suggestions ??

hanzomon4
February 8th, 2010, 01:25 AM
16bit?! your relative doesn't know what he/she is talking about.... Linux has been 32bit and 64bit for a while. What kind of system do yoou have... i.e what kind of cpu, ram, video card? What app are you using for audio? Ardour, jokosher, audacity?

Ozor Mox
February 8th, 2010, 01:26 AM
->My system is slow , a relative of mine told me that UBUNTU JAUNTY works with only 16 bit n i have 32 bit processor .. Heard that ubuntu 9.10 is 32 bit but is an unstable version . so what do i do ??

Ubuntu does not have a 16-bit version, it has 32-bit and 64-bit. Both are stable.

Also i am very interested in operating the system through the terminal , rather than using the GUI .. do u have good suggestions ??

You can get the terminal through Applications > Accessories > Terminal, or you can press Ctrl+Alt+F1 to drop out of X to a terminal. Press Ctrl+Alt+F7 to return to the desktop.

cguy
February 8th, 2010, 01:33 AM
Add this repository:
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-wine/+archive/ppa
That page shows you how to do everything step by step.

The go in System > Administration > Synaptic and install wine.
Then you can install and run Photoshop.

But before that have a look at this page:
http://www.winehq.org/search?cx=partner-pub-0971840239976722%3Aw9sqbcsxtyf&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=UTF-8&q=photoshop&siteurl=www.winehq.org%2F#961
and figure out how your version of Photoshop would run.

Wine is a program that allows you to run Windows programs inside Linux. Some work, some work partially and others don't work at all.

--

As for the slowness, give us more details. What kind of a computer do you have? Did you modify anything in Jaunty? etc. etc. Anything that you think may relate to how your operating system runs.

On my computers Jaunty is FLYING. Way faster than Windows 7.

qwerty2009
February 8th, 2010, 01:36 AM
Karmic is stable!. every six months Canonical release a new version of ubuntu currently its karmic, the next release is lucid lynx witch will be LTS (long term support),jaunty in no more stable than karmic. you should not listen to this relative of yours lol they obviously dont know what there talking about:P

srk2890
February 8th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Thanks a lot.. :)

Well.. I am quite efficient with windows .. but .. ubuntu is totally different .. i'd love to get a hang of it .. anyway .. getting back .. i have a lot of audio editing softwares..i have Audacity but dunno how to efficiently make use of it.. also.. is there any software that is as good as photoshop in ubuntu ??

+ i wanna know whether it is safe for me to upgrade to 9.10 ??

+ i installed wine and even after removing all the files there is a shortcut in Applications->Other . what to do ?

+ how do u ppl use the terminal ? i have seen people doing everyting using terminal , from creating a text file to sending a mail ..

Thank u so much.. all of u .. please share whatever knowledge u have !!
i am doing my computer science engineering in india!! and it SUCKS !! 3 yrs have passed and i havent seen a source code till now!! guess even my lecturers wouldnt have!

cguy
February 8th, 2010, 03:44 PM
So Photoshop didn't work in Wine and now you will remove Wine as well? Why? You many need it again in the future.
Anyway, to remove Wine's entry from the menu, right click on the menu and select "Edit menus".

What do you mean if there's an application as good as Photoshop? Do you want a clone of Photoshop?
Unless you're a professional image editor, Gimp is just as good for you. It has a different layout, that's true, but that alone doesn't make it worse.

And that Audacity part sounds horrible. Learn how to use it yourself! Come on, the way you learned about any software that you have been using you can learn about Audacity / Gimp / Ubuntu / anything.

Upgrading is safe, but it's not as good as a clean install.

To access the terminal you have to go to Application > Accessories > Terminal. If you haven't explored the menus yet, do so. Click on anything and see what happens.
Don't worry if you screw the system. You can reinstall it in 15 minutes or you can open threads here asking for help and you'll learn something new from fixing it.
As for the commands that you can use in the terminal, do a search on Google with these keywords: "Linux tutorial" :)

srk2890
February 11th, 2010, 11:47 PM
Thank u!! :)

koleoptero
February 12th, 2010, 01:20 AM
And a good starting point is: http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/index_main.html