PDA

View Full Version : Linux on an LMN movie

Kenny_Strawn
February 8th, 2010, 12:16 AM
I don't remember what the title of this LMN movie is, but last I checked (it is playing right now), a woman recieved a letter saying a guy was cheating on her. She opened up a laptop, and behold, Linux and the GNOME desktop (looked like an old build of GNOME Shell) came up. What a coincidence!

How do you guys feel about Linux in the media?

Dharmachakra
February 8th, 2010, 12:17 AM
Wait, how is it a coincidence?

Kenny_Strawn
February 8th, 2010, 12:21 AM

Probably more like surprising, that they would show Linux, given how low its marker share is. However, it's a good kind of surprise.

Hwæt
February 8th, 2010, 01:12 AM
Probably more like surprising, that they would show Linux, given how low its marker share is. However, it's a good kind of surprise.

Actually, Linux only has a small marketshare on the desktop. Believe it or not, Linux actually has a very large marketshare on servers. On servers, UNIX and UNIX-like systems (like GNU/Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, Etc.) tend to dominate. Microsoft actually has very little foothold there.

Linux for many, many years was a tinkerer's OS and a server OS by trade. It wasn't until relatively recently (maybe 2004-ish) that it became a contender for the desktop.

So if you ever plan on going into server administration for a big business, there's a very good chance that you'll end up meeting some UNIX-like operating system on their data centers.

Anyways, it's always a treat for me to spot Linux somewhere. I remember that once I was at a Jack-In-The-Box and I saw a fedora logo come up on their T.V. screen. It turns out they were playing videos on a computer running fedora in the restaurant and simply using the T.V. as a display. I was all excited and shouted out, "Hey look! They've got Linux on there!" to my friend, who after that moment, tried to act like he didn't know me, despite sitting next to me.

Good times, good times. :)

Kenny_Strawn
February 8th, 2010, 01:15 AM
Actually, Linux only has a small marketshare on the desktop. Believe it or not, Linux actually has a very large marketshare on servers. On servers, UNIX and UNIX-like systems (like GNU/Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, Etc.) tend to dominate. Microsoft actually has very little foothold there.

Linux for many, many years was a tinkerer's OS and a server OS by trade. It wasn't until relatively recently (maybe 2004-ish) that it became a contender for the desktop.

So if you ever plan on going into server administration for a big business, there's a very good chance that you'll end up meeting some UNIX-like operating system on their data centers.

Anyways, it's always a treat for me to spot Linux somewhere. I remember that once I was at a Jack-In-The-Box and I saw a fedora logo come up on their T.V. screen. It turns out they were playing videos on a computer running fedora in the restaurant and simply using the T.V. as a display. I was all excited and shouted out, "Hey look! They've got Linux on there!" to my friend, who after that moment, tried to act like he didn't know me, despite sitting next to me.

Good times, good times. :)

Yes, I know for a fact that M$F+ has a 0% market share on supercomputers. That is even less than the percentage of desktop Linux!

RiceMonster
February 8th, 2010, 01:16 AM
What is M$F+?

Kenny_Strawn
February 8th, 2010, 01:30 AM
What is M$F+?

A Microsoft putdown. Just to show you how much I hate them.....

Dharmachakra
February 8th, 2010, 01:42 AM

Wait, why do you hate Microsoft?

Kenny_Strawn
February 8th, 2010, 01:54 AM

It's that I hate lockware in general. Lockware is proprietary software.

JoeWheeler
February 8th, 2010, 01:55 AM
The lottery terminals at work run on it as well. It boots up with a big penguin in the corner :D

sudoer541
February 8th, 2010, 02:09 AM

thats weird.

chris200x9
February 8th, 2010, 02:53 AM

running linux makes your man 10x more likely to cheat.

Kenny_Strawn
February 8th, 2010, 03:03 AM
running linux makes your man 10x more likely to cheat.

For the record: I am a teenage boy myself, and I run Linux on both of my computers, including one powerful (and home-built) media center rig.

I run Ubuntu Lucid Lynx Alpha 2 on the media center rig, and Linpus Lite came preinstalled on my netbook.

If I dated a girl who had Linux on her computer, I would be more than happy.

chris200x9
February 8th, 2010, 03:04 AM
For the record: I am a teenage boy myself, and I run Linux on both of my computers, including one powerful (and home-built) media center rig.

I run Ubuntu Lucid Lynx Alpha 2 on the media center rig, and Linpus Lite came preinstalled on my netbook.

If I dated a girl who had Linux on her computer, I would be more than happy.

freak...

edit: this is a joke as was my other comment don't ban me for CoC violation

Kenny_Strawn
February 8th, 2010, 03:27 AM
freak...

edit: this is a joke as was my other comment don't ban me for CoC violation

I'm no more of a freak than Linus Torvalds is. If he was as you described, he would have cheated on Tove already.

armageddon08
February 8th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Hmm......this thread is interesting. ;)

Grenage
February 8th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Yes, it's all very clear - all Linux users are adulterous whores.

I'm not sure I'd like my other half any more or less if she happened to use Linux.

xuCGC002
February 8th, 2010, 03:25 PM

So using Microsoft's stock name but with unnecessary characters thrown in shows that you hate them?

](*,)

...hey wait a minute, why where you watching Lifetime?

clanky
February 8th, 2010, 03:52 PM
If I dated a girl

Ain't never gonna happen!

Kenny_Strawn
February 8th, 2010, 04:48 PM
[QUOTE=xuCGC002;8794006...hey wait a minute, why where you watching Lifetime?[/QUOTE]

My mother was, and I took a sneak peek, but didn't watch the whole thing. I hate most of those movies, anyway. Too much violence against women and girls.

Tristam Green
February 8th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Welcome back, Sharon!

myusername
February 8th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Ain't never gonna happen!

I lol'd. HARD.

thatguruguy
February 8th, 2010, 05:46 PM
I don't remember what the title of this LMN movie is, but last I checked (it is playing right now), a woman recieved a letter saying a guy was cheating on her. She opened up a laptop, and behold, Linux and the GNOME desktop (looked like an old build of GNOME Shell) came up. What a coincidence!

How do you guys feel about Linux in the media?

Since I'm a) a grownup and b) male, I don't watch Lifetime.

Wait, what were we talking about?

Tristam Green
February 8th, 2010, 05:49 PM
I foresee in your future, many woman+kitchen jokes.

CJ Master
February 8th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Welcome back, Sharon!

*gives blue a swift kick to the butt*

Tristam Green
February 8th, 2010, 08:22 PM
*gives blue a swift kick to the butt*

Blue? Also, you owe Calvin one dollar for royalties. He does not copyleft his swift kicks in the butt.

Kai69
February 9th, 2010, 12:50 AM
Does the tvshow/movie have to pay Microsoft for the use of their logo or screenshot ?
I think they do .

daphnestory
February 9th, 2010, 12:55 AM
Hi, I'm really really really REALLY sorry I have to interrupt your question to post this here, but this is the most recent post so I figured alot of people would be reading it. I really need help with something, but I can't figure out how to post a questions here!!! I would ask my own queston and not bother this thread, but there's nothing that says I can post a question of my own of the forums. If someone could please just quickly tell me how to make a new thread, because when I click on a question that's already open, there's a button it lets me click that says "New Reply", but I don't see anything anywhere on the home page or on here that lets me ask a new question!!!

Hwæt
February 9th, 2010, 12:59 AM
Hi, I'm really really really REALLY sorry I have to interrupt your question to post this here, but this is the most recent post so I figured alot of people would be reading it. I really need help with something, but I can't figure out how to post a questions here!!! I would ask my own queston and not bother this thread, but there's nothing that says I can post a question of my own of the forums. If someone could please just quickly tell me how to make a new thread, because when I click on a question that's already open, there's a button it lets me click that says "New Reply", but I don't see anything anywhere on the home page or on here that lets me ask a new question!!!

It's where it says "new thread".

http://ubuntuforums.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=146471&stc=1&d=1265673735

Cheers

xuCGC002
February 10th, 2010, 03:47 AM
My mother was, and I took a sneak peek, but didn't watch the whole thing. I hate most of those movies, anyway. Too much violence against women and girls.

Irony?

Twitch6000
February 10th, 2010, 04:03 AM

No you don't...

I can tell you you don't because you use it every day.

If you use adobe flash you use proprietary software.

if you use bois you are using prproetary software.

If you use opera ... well you get it..

Only <snip> that I have seen use 100% free software is Richard stallman himself.

I might dislike the guy,but atleast he truly uses what he belives in.

Simon17
February 10th, 2010, 05:29 AM

The bois are back in town.

Kenny_Strawn
February 10th, 2010, 06:55 AM
No you don't...

I can tell you you don't because you use it every day.

If you use adobe flash you use proprietary software.

If you use opera ... well you get it..

Only <snip> that I have seen use 100% free software is Richard stallman himself.

I might dislike the guy,but atleast he truly uses what he belives in.

I don't even know what Bois is.

As far as Adobe Flash, I am dropping it for HTML 5.0 as soon as it gets more support.

And no, I don't use Opera. I use Firefox half the time and Chrome half the time.

CJ Master
February 10th, 2010, 06:58 AM
I don't even know what Bois is.

As far as Adobe Flash, I am dropping it for HTML 5.0 as soon as it gets more support.

And no, I don't use Opera. I use Firefox half the time and Chrome half the time.

Bios*

Kenny_Strawn
February 10th, 2010, 07:06 AM
Bios*

Now, the BIOS I am forced to use, but it technically doesn't count, because of how small it is.

That said, in Linux, the BIOS technically isn't needed, because GRUB and the kernel take care of the work that the BIOS would normally take care of.

So, really, the Linux boot process actually kills BIOS, replacing it with its own configuration in the boot process.

Evidence of this can be found in the Live CD: It boots straight up, rather than forcing you to press a key to boot from the CD. It imports the BIOS settings, and then replaces BIOS itself with its own virtualized ACPI (found in /proc).

chillicampari
February 10th, 2010, 07:19 AM
Kenny, you still need a bios because that is the map to the hardware that the OS has to read when it starts, so it can work right.

myusername
February 10th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Now, the BIOS I am forced to use, but it technically doesn't count, because of how small it is.

That said, in Linux, the BIOS technically isn't needed, because GRUB and the kernel take care of the work that the BIOS would normally take care of.

So, really, the Linux boot process actually kills BIOS, replacing it with its own configuration in the boot process.

Evidence of this can be found in the Live CD: It boots straight up, rather than forcing you to press a key to boot from the CD. It imports the BIOS settings, and then replaces BIOS itself with its own virtualized ACPI (found in /proc).

wtf. the bios on your computer are probably set to boot from cd rather than harddrive first. so it APPEARS that you don't need the bios. this is probably the stupidest post i've EVER read. ANYWHERE. you HAVE to have bios or all you have is some metal and a keyboard

Tristam Green
February 10th, 2010, 01:53 PM
now, the bios i am forced to use, but it technically doesn't count, because of how small it is.

That said, in linux, the bios technically isn't needed, because grub and the kernel take care of the work that the bios would normally take care of.

So, really, the linux boot process actually kills bios, replacing it with its own configuration in the boot process.

Evidence of this can be found in the live cd: It boots straight up, rather than forcing you to press a key to boot from the cd. It imports the bios settings, and then replaces bios itself with its own virtualized acpi (found in /proc).

lol

RiceMonster
February 10th, 2010, 02:42 PM

I lol'd hard

Tibuda
February 10th, 2010, 02:58 PM

what if Silverlight gets more support?

xuCGC002
February 10th, 2010, 03:59 PM

This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read.

Simian Man
February 10th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Kenny, you have good intentions. But you have no goddam idea what you're talking about and are just embarrassing yourself.

m4tic
February 10th, 2010, 06:00 PM
i cant believe kenny just said that, oh bois

blur xc
February 10th, 2010, 06:20 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BIOS

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/bios1.htm

and related- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power-on_self-test and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CMOS_settings

BM

Twitch6000
February 10th, 2010, 06:25 PM

I think everyone else has proved you wrong,but I must say you gave me the giggles.

NoaHall
February 10th, 2010, 06:27 PM

Sharon, you just made me die inside.

MelDJ
February 10th, 2010, 06:42 PM

hahahaha
just use what works, whether it is open source or not..

detroit/zero
February 10th, 2010, 06:51 PM

I don't quite think that works the way you think it works.

m4tic
February 10th, 2010, 08:18 PM
Kenny's having a bad day
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1403379&page=4

Post Monkeh
February 10th, 2010, 08:40 PM
hahahaha
just use what works, whether it is open source or not..

if there was an agree button, i'd be pushing it right now.

Giant Speck
February 10th, 2010, 11:36 PM

What is this I don't even.

xuCGC002
February 11th, 2010, 02:28 AM
Kenny's having a bad day
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1403379&page=4

Damn, Kenny. I think you should leave the forums temporarily, read up on the stuff you're talking about (not on boycott Novell), and then come back. I think then you'd have a bit more credibility.

You also seem to be a bit socially inept. Try to observe social situations, normal conversation. This could benefit you.

James M
February 12th, 2010, 02:12 AM

Kid you need to go to school. The BIOS is what turns on the entire system as it holds the starting instructions. The HDD is turned on by the BIOS, so how the hell would Linux turn on the HDD if it is stored on the HDD?

MelDJ
February 12th, 2010, 01:53 PM
Kid you need to go to school. The BIOS is what turns on the entire system as it holds the starting instructions. The HDD is turned on by the BIOS, so how the hell would Linux turn on the HDD if it is stored on the HDD?

the live cd does IT!

ibuclaw
February 12th, 2010, 02:54 PM
Kenny, I think you are confusing BIOS here with the system DSDT (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DSDT#Firmware_Interface), and to some extent, you are correct - even if your wording/terminology is out of place.

Generally, you should let the OS handle ACPI, ignoring the DSDT as much as possible. In the rare instances where the OS gets it wrong, acpi=off will give the OS the option to handle hardware at API level.
In the more common instances where the OS doesn't know how to handle the power management of the device/component, and the DSDT is buggy. The old workaround was to decompile, fix, and recompile the DSDT - so Linux uses it's own internal table. This is no longer the case, however, and any ACPI issues should be raised as a bug report instead. :)

This thread has outlived its course.
Closing.