PDA

View Full Version : kumquat recipes

HappinessNow
February 7th, 2010, 11:58 PM
Anybody have any good kumquat recipes?...recipes that you have actually used and know taste good are preferred to ones just found online with out ever trying.

I have about 3 lbs of kumquats that are a bit too tart to eat by themselves so I thought they would be good to cook with, any ideas?

HappinessNow
February 8th, 2010, 12:53 AM
Anybody have any good kumquat recipes?...recipes that you have actually used and know taste good are preferred to ones just found online with out ever trying.

I have about 3 lbs of kumquats that are a bit too tart to eat by themselves so I thought they would be good to cook with, any ideas?

I did find a recipe online for kumquat hot sauce I am tempted to try, since I do like hot sauce very much:

Kumquat Hot Sauce

INGREDIENTS:

WARNING #1! Habaneros are VERY hot! Handle them with care. The use of kitchen gloves is highly recommended.

3/4# lb. fresh kumquats
4-6 oz. of fresh Habanero (Scotch Bonnet) peppers
1 small onion
3 cloves garlic
1 good hand-full of big leaf parsely (you might try cilantro - I don't, but it might be good....)
1 14 oz can of whole, skinned tomatoes
1-2 oz white wine vinegar
1 TBS good curry powder
1/2 tsp salt, more or less as desired...
DIRECTIONS:

1. Peel the onion and garlic, remove stems from the habaneros and kumquats an put it all in a food processor or blender and chop fine.

2. Add parsely and half the vinegar. Blend more.

3. Drain the tomatoes, add and blend more.

4. Add curry and salt. Blend thoroughly into a heavy sauce-like texture, adding a little more vinegar and/or water, if needed.

WARNING #2! Do NOT try tasting for 24hrs unless you are very brave. At this point, the sauce will be excruciatingly hot! It needs a day or two, or even longer, for the flavors to meld and blend. Once it does, you will have a very spicy and incredibly tasty Kumquat Hot sauce.

SUBMITTED BY: Blake Reimer http://www.kumquatgrowers.com/recipe034.html

audiomick
February 8th, 2010, 01:25 AM
They make fantastic Marmelade. If you can't find a Marmelade recipe specifically for Kumquats, you should be able to adapt one for Lemon or Lemon and Orange.

I think the basic recipe is about 1:1 sugar and fruit, some pectin, and boil till it sets when you drop a bit in cold water.
Be careful when it is boiling, it burns like made if it splashes you.

HappinessNow
February 8th, 2010, 03:20 AM
They make fantastic Marmelade. If you can't find a Marmelade recipe specifically for Kumquats, you should be able to adapt one for Lemon or Lemon and Orange.

I think the basic recipe is about 1:1 sugar and fruit, some pectin, and boil till it sets when you drop a bit in cold water.
Be careful when it is boiling, it burns like made if it splashes you.Thanks audiomick, sounds delicious :p